Did I miss? Still in shock...

Bgoodman30

Had my #1 target buck come crashing in right up the draw to about 60 yards.. Great 8 pt. I sized him up for a bit because there is a very similar racked younger buck. After confirmation I waited for a clear shot.. Click, nothing,.. Now I am a nervous wreck as I reach for another primer. Break the action and examine and primer was not struck? Close it chocolate chip cookie it aim and boom..

The buck runs a 40 yard circle and then stands there head up and stares at me for about 30 seconds.... I stare back trying to reach for another bullet while also looking for the shot placement... Then he bolts... Other than a small piece of tufted hair(not red) on his back on opposite of shot side there is no evidence of a hit... No crash heard.. I searched the area for 45 minutes and not a drop of blood. I have never had much blood from a MZ shot but definity never had a shot deer just act spooked and look back at me?

I started to look into woodline but its on the property line.. Also got photographed by my neighbors camera as I approached the fence line.. Haven't been able to reach the owner to see if I can search...

The last shot by this MZ was a perfect heart shot by my son so I believe the gun was on.. What do you think? Clean miss? Powder malfunction?

This is him running off by camera...
SYFW1112.JPG

Bgoodman30

I am sorry this happened to you. Have you ever cleaned the flash hole? Do you clean the bore? Do you do everything possible to keep your powder dry?
Muzzleloaders require a lot of attention to detail to function properly.
Yeah sometimes. I examined it, looked clear. I cleaned barrel thoroughly and ran a patch of bore butter. I don't think it was the flash hole the primer wasn't even struck? Used the same primer on 2nd attempt. I am going to get some new pellets though the box I have is 3-4 yo.

backyardtndeer

Agree with jcalder on the primer strike or lack of. Had this happen on a really cold morning with my accura once.

As far as hit or miss, I would look for the deer as if you hit it. That picture is inconclusive as it is just too far away to tell anything. My wife hit one probably 6 or 7 years ago, that he turned and looked around before walking off. We never found blood, but the boy that had the farm behind me then called me a couple months later and told me his father found the skull while rabbit hunting. Deer had gone a little over 300 yards as a crow flies from where she shot him.

Latest posts