Favorite/Can’t Miss Days of Deer Season - Why??

JXB0805

I only started hunting TN in 2016 and have killed 10 memorable rack bucks here since then, and a couple younger meat bucks. All in Coffee Co. Not really big enough sample size to glean much from but if you sort out the early season kills, most bucks were killed end November into beginning December. My wife & I both killed a buck different years in the same stand on Nov. 12th both chasing probably the same doe because they come into heat same time every year.

Sept. 29 - evening feed pattern
Nov. 12 - evening chasing doe
Dec. 6 - morning tending doe
Nov. 24 - morning tending doe
Dec. 14 - morning rattling horns
Oct. 7 - evening feed pattern
Aug. 30 - evening feed pattern
Dec. 4 - morning cruising
Nov. 29 - morning tending doe
Nov. 28 - morning tending doe

Wife killed one Nov. 12 - morning chasing doe
Awesome info, thanks for sharing!

DoubleRidge

If I dropped a bell curve on my list of mature buck kill dates the peak of the curve would be November 15th. So my answer would match BSK with the date range being Nov. 10-21 where we see the most daylight chasing or cruising...first three weeks of November consumes the majority of my vacation days.

Buzzard Breath

I never miss the 3rd Saturday in September. It's early archery season on some WMA's. Watching the sunrise over the ridge after not having been in a stand in 8 months let's me know that all is right in the world.

The other dates I like are the first full week in November. I've killed some nice bucks during this time period and buck sightings are through the roof. But, my favorite time for killing really mature bucks match what some others have said; Thanksgiving thru Dec 7. That's from East TN west to the TN River. Not only do I see some of my most mature bucks at this time, but other hunters interest starts to wane and the woods become less crowded.

Mr.Bro

Killed a buck in Ohio on the 12th last year. That's 3 shooter bucks for my house on that day in just the last few years. Now I'm curious. I'll have to dig back through my harvest history and see if any others through the years were on that day.
I can look back in old trail cam pics and see many real nice bucks on the 12th.

BSK

If I dropped a bell curve on my list of mature buck kill dates the peak of the curve would be November 15th. So my answer would match BSK with the date range being Nov. 10-21 where we see the most daylight chasing or cruising...first three weeks of November consumes the majority of my vacation days.
I basically stop working for MZ season and the first week of gun (Thanksgiving Week). Of those 22 days, I'll probably hunt 17. And then that's it for my season. Maybe a weekend or two in December, but I don't expect to see anything then. The rut is over.

Last edited:

Wrangler95

First week in muzzleloader season thru 2nd week is great,every buck in the woods are on the prowl.Rut is good if you can stop the doe the buck is chasing!!

muddyboots

Last week of November and first week of December. I try to hunt everyday in that frame. With that being said getting in a good lease changed my world. I'm liable to see a mature buck any day so I go every chance I get. Now this is crazy. I used to have a lease in northern part of county. Best hunting was first week of muzzleloader until thanksgiving. Amazing the difference a few miles south makes.

Team Yuma

This is a great question! Used to love Thanksgiving day for the first 33 years of my life. But people got older, and families, etc - so that morning its usually down to 2 of us. But that weekend is the absolute best!

This year will also be my 30th consecutive gun opener. And now Georgia plays Tennessee that weekend!

Love all of deer season - from archery until the bitter, cold end in January. Nothing like fall, college football, and stories around a campfire with a steak dinner.

Its truly a blessing!

JXB0805

This is a great question! Used to love Thanksgiving day for the first 33 years of my life. But people got older, and families, etc - so that morning its usually down to 2 of us. But that weekend is the absolute best!

This year will also be my 30th consecutive gun opener. And now Georgia plays Tennessee that weekend!

Love all of deer season - from archery until the bitter, cold end in January. Nothing like fall, college football, and stories around a campfire with a steak dinner.

Its truly a blessing!
Nothing like fall, college football, and stories around a campfire with a steak dinner. - 💯% GB🍊

Latest posts