Best part of hunting season

tellico4x4

May be now.
Just me & the girls chillin while getting a good rain beating on metal roof, doesn't get much better imo. Off grid with some comforts like solar, WiFi, enclosed outdoor kitchen & 5.5 sq miles of private ground to ramble around on.

IMG_20240204_105351116~3.jpg

Spent last couple days finally getting traps out. Just 3rd year attempting so still learning , can't believe how much stuff accumulated already 🤣.

IMG_20240201_124235070.jpg

IMG_20240202_101212748.jpg

Great time to knock around woods & find big rubs too!

IMG_20240201_153718050.jpg
IMG_20240201_155237150.jpg

tellico4x4

Yessir, great time of year to get stuff done, trap and shoot varmints. Beautiful day here yesterday, but already at 1.25" rain here overnight and today. Still raining too and radar looks like it will last several more hours.
Hoping for that much rain too, didn't start here until daylight. Thursdays drought report moved us from a D3 to a D2, so still have a ways to go.

Coker

Pulled my stands and cameras Friday afternoon and this afternoon. Did some scouting and found a couple new areas for next year. Pressure washed the SxS and put it in the garage.
Ready and waiting on Turkey season.

tpgarrett21

my favorite thing about hunting season is just watching the woods, or fields I'm in, sun coming up or going down, just watching nature come alive or go to sleep. most people don't understand or "get it" i especially like sitting at the edge of hardwoods next to a hay field in turkey season early morning, watching the haze burn off to reveal nice bright green grass

fairchaser

This is a sad and depressing time of year before spring actually gets here and things start to live again. Usually the weather is dreary, cold and wet.

I have to fight the depression but I regather my thoughts and become thankful for everything I've been blessed with and start to plan for the next things.

My birthday is in February too so that's another thing I deal with because they are getting quite numerous. But, I'm extremely lucky and fortunate so don't feel sorry for me. I just have way too much time to think!

TheLBLman

One of the best parts for me is . . . . . looking forward to the next one :)
Nothing helps that better than knowing some "shooter" bucks not shot
this past season, may be better ones come fall.

Post-season living buck pics and find sheds . . . . . .
. . . . . . . very satisfying to get & find . . . . . looking forward to fall.

Snake

This is a sad and depressing time of year before spring actually gets here and things start to live again. Usually the weather is dreary, cold and wet.

I have to fight the depression but I regather my thoughts and become thankful for everything I've been blessed with and start to plan for the next things.

My birthday is in February too so that's another thing I deal with because they are getting quite numerous. But, I'm extremely lucky and fortunate so don't feel sorry for me. I just have way too much time to think!
I'm an Aquarius as well brother the 17th .

JCDEERMAN

I've typically hated Jan-Mar, but the last several years I've spent those months scouting/walking and planning out/doing TSI projects…and trapping. Also need to frost seed about 5 acres of clover. So it's become much more enjoyable to me. Spent almost 8 hours Saturday cutting timber. Will be doing the same next Saturday. Altogether should be about 10 acres of better habitat in the next few years. Still have another 10 acres to cut before mid summer and about 7 acres to burn before spring green up and another 15 acres to burn sometime in Aug-Oct. Also have 29 fruit trees to plant in Feb-Mar. Will be busy

Come March, it's setting up blinds and cameras for turkeys.

I'm sweating just thinking about all this

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
My favorite part is about to begin. Planning, plotting, habitat improvements!, soil improvements
Just spent 3 days in a skid steer with a forestry mulcher wrecking a pine stand that had canopied over and lost all undergrowth. Looks like a bomb went off in there now! Loving it!

BSK

My favorite part is about to begin. Planning, plotting, habitat improvements!, soil improvements
Just spent 3 days in a skid steer with a forestry mulcher wrecking a pine stand that had canopied over and lost all undergrowth. Looks like a bomb went off in there now! Loving it!
Isn't it weird how much we habitat people LOVE nasty ground? I see bombed out timber cuts and think "deer Heaven!"

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
Isn't it weird how much we habitat people LOVE nasty ground? I see bombed out timber cuts and think "deer Heaven!"
Nobody but habitat nerds can truly appreciate such a sight. I looked at that and could already see turkey nests and deer beds surrounded by natural browse.
About 3:00 yesterday I went to look into the cut from a distance and there was a group of 9 does already investigating and nibbling on buds of the hardwoods I cut.

BSK

Nobody but habitat nerds can truly appreciate such a sight. I looked at that and could already see turkey nests and deer beds surrounded by natural browse.
About 3:00 yesterday I went to look into the cut from a distance and there was a group of 9 does already investigating and nibbling on buds of the hardwoods I cut.
That's why, when a logger tells me he will clean up the tops, I say, "Noooo!"

Latest posts