best practices for hunting Fort Campbell

grateone20

Hey guys,
New to the area, and to the Forum. Like the title says, looking for tips, tricks, best practices for hunting Fort Campbell. I am retired military, I already have my weapons registered and have bought my permit through ISportsman. The reservation system doesn't seem too complicated as long as it works. I bow hunt mostly.

I do have questions for those that have hunted there recently.

-How is the pressure?
-How often do the areas come up as accessible? (I'm just looking for a best guess average)
-How often do you run into the USFW guys?
-From looking at the map, it looks like that place should be literally crawling with deer. Is that the case?
-Predominate winds?
-Rut Dates (OnX says peak rut is 5 NOV)

I'll take anything you guys want to give. Thank you for your time.

bowhunterfanatic

I've never hunted the Fort but I can tell you there are a bunch of 30+ page threads from years past about the Fort. Seems most guys are hesitant to give up any info about that place. Best I can tell the last couple years it's been harder to get in any area to hunt, but still doable if you're willing to put up with the headache. Yes, deer are everywhere and yes, this kill some bigguns there every year. Good luck and post some pics if you kill!

Bone Collector

I actually think what you are asking people will share some info on it. You didn't ask for a spot to scout or hunt.

I have never hunted there. There are threads you can search up on the Fort. You are retired military so you will get second choice behind the active duty folks.

The biggest issue I have heard is they will close areas on a whim. Could be training, could be just because. Thus the advice to have several areas. It will take you time to learn it as it is a big area overall.

That being said, there are some monsters in there. I have seen pics. Pressure will be somewhat high though if I am guessing as when I was active I hunted Camp Lejeune NC and once the guns cam out the deer were nocturnal, but that was a different time. People don't shoot the first deer they see too often anymore.

good luck, you should be able to get on a good deer at some point. If you bow hunt mainly... see if there are bow only areas. on Lejeune, those areas always had bigger deer and less weary deer.

deerfever

Best advice I can give is make sure you read the Cam regs then when you think you know them read them again! Lol. Access is very limited but since your retired you will have more opportunities. Good luck and thank you for your service!

Bagg-it Tag-it

I am looking at everything on iSportsman. It says to submit a background check to look at step 2. Step 2 basically shows you how to register your firearms. Is that how they do their background check? Also, if you want to bow hunt there....do you register your bow with the firearms registration?

Dennis

I am looking at everything on iSportsman. It says to submit a background check to look at step 2. Step 2 basically shows you how to register your firearms. Is that how they do their background check? Also, if you want to bow hunt there....do you register your bow with the firearms registration?
I think it's the same form you fill for background check and gun registration. You don't have to register bows.

double browtine

For bow I would hunt the 00 areas 00A,00B. For SG/MZ it's hard to beat any of the areas that border the impact areas. I haven't hunted there in for over 25 years. I never killed a big one there but saw a lot of huge bucks. I saw 4 huge bucks in area 9 about 30 years ago about a week before the season opened. When I say huge, they were all 170 -180 class. They were bedded in a bean field and you could see their racks above the beans. My brother in law had seen them the day before and we drove back the next afternoon and didn't see them until I spotted the rack on the big one. I opened the trunk door to get a better look and all 4 of them stood up about 60 yards out. It's one of those things I'll never forget. I've never seen bucks in the wild that big all together since! Areas 2 and 6 along the creek and the ag fields are probably still a good spot but when they open it you have to be really lucky to get in there. Area 13 and 19 are good and so is 20. If you can get an area any time the first two weeks of November you should see plenty of rutting action. It's best to hunt the wind, find some good sign (scrapes and rubs) climb a tree and stay all day! Good luck!

Latest posts