Favorite/Can’t Miss Days of Deer Season - Why??

JXB0805

I'm curious to hear everyone's perspective on their favorite dates of the TN deer season.

Are there dates that produce for you every year?
Does your favorite dates vary according to the moon?
If so, which moon phase do you prefer, and does it's rising or falling play into it as well?

TNGunsmoke

2-Step Enabled
Veterans Day and the couple of days before and after. Historically, I've killed some of my better deer around then. Black Friday just because I prefer being in the stand than dealing with people. And I take the time from Christmas eve until the weekend after New Year as my vacation time to deer and duck hunt.

JXB0805

Veterans Day and the couple of days before and after. Historically, I've killed some of my better deer around then. Black Friday just because I prefer being in the stand than dealing with people. And I take the time from Christmas eve until the weekend after New Year as my vacation time to deer and duck hunt.
Black Friday just because I prefer being in the stand than dealing with people. - lol, right 👌🏻

Hduke86

For me in Hamilton County has always been the first two weeks of November BUT I've also have had great success during the last 7-10 days of November. I'll just sum it up and say ANY day in November can make your season a successful one. I don't pay attention to the moon really at all but if there's a significant temp drop coming. Im going to be out there the day before it and as much as possible during the drop in temperature

Andy S.

For extreme SW TN, if you are pursuing mature bucks, I highly recommend Nov. 15 - Dec. 15, and focus on coldest days for increased daytime activity. With that said, the majority of really good mature bucks killed by myself and my closest friends are killed Thanksgiving Day until December 10th. If any way possible, I always hunt last 3 days of November and first 7 days of December. The mature bucks are on their feet in daylight and the colder temps are usually here.

JXB0805

For extreme SW TN, if you are pursuing mature bucks, I highly recommend Nov. 15 - Dec. 15, and focus on coldest days for increased daytime activity. With that said, the majority of really good mature bucks killed by myself and my closest friends are killed Thanksgiving Day until December 10th. If any way possible, I always hunt last 3 days of November and first 7 days of December. The mature bucks are on their feet in daylight and the colder temps are usually here.
Man I got excited just reading your response, and I concur!

bowhunterfanatic

I say this every year and it will absolutely never stop amazing me how rut timing varies across this state. You are farther west than me, but it seems like your deer are a little ahead of ours. And we are both a little ahead of some of the southernmost portions of counties east of us like Hardin and Wayne. I'm pretty sure southern Franklin is behind us as well. So if a man had the money, time and access he could start hunting the rut in northeastern TN in late Oct and hunt all the way through mid January chasing the rut in our state. Amazing.

Ski

I only started hunting TN in 2016 and have killed 10 memorable rack bucks here since then, and a couple younger meat bucks. All in Coffee Co. Not really big enough sample size to glean much from but if you sort out the early season kills, most bucks were killed end November into beginning December. My wife & I both killed a buck different years in the same stand on Nov. 12th both chasing probably the same doe because they come into heat same time every year.

Sept. 29 - evening feed pattern
Nov. 12 - evening chasing doe
Dec. 6 - morning tending doe
Nov. 24 - morning tending doe
Dec. 14 - morning rattling horns
Oct. 7 - evening feed pattern
Aug. 30 - evening feed pattern
Dec. 4 - morning cruising
Nov. 29 - morning tending doe
Nov. 28 - morning tending doe

Wife killed one Nov. 12 - morning chasing doe

Ski

2 of my best 3 kills on Nov 12th
Best friends best kill Nov 12th.
Most unusual? None of these 3 bucks with a doe.

Killed a buck in Ohio on the 12th last year. That's 3 shooter bucks for my house on that day in just the last few years. Now I'm curious. I'll have to dig back through my harvest history and see if any others through the years were on that day.

kaizen leader

I'm curious to hear everyone's perspective on their favorite dates of the TN deer season.

Are there dates that produce for you every year?
Does your favorite dates vary according to the moon?
If so, which moon phase do you prefer, and does it's rising or falling play into it as well?
Openi archery, opening muzzle loader, and opening rifle. 🦌

Latest posts