Hit or miss?

HomeAgain

So, opening day I had this guy show himself. I had been watching 2 does and after 20 or so minutes there he is in the woods edge. I put the crosshairs on shoulder and 'click'…forgot to dial off the second safety. Dial it off. Crosshairs on shoulder. Boom. About 40 - 50 yards.

Both does and he run off, tails up. No stopping and looking back. No 'low run' like he was hit. He didn't seem 'hit' but I sat tight for 30 minutes. Walked both fields, woods, everything within 300 yards. Nothing. No blood or hair at the spot he was standing. No piled up 11 pointer. Nothing.

So. Was it a miss? Did I perforate him and he ran much farther than I thought? Is there a really nice, dead buck on a property nearby?

I walked through his bedroom thicket for an hour or so thinking he may have laid down there and died. Nothing except one of his last year's sheds.

Next day, shot a doe in about the same location and she dropped on the spot. Not sure what to think. What do you all think?

Attachments

• IMG_8797.jpeg
    IMG_8797.jpeg
    78 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_8922.jpeg
    IMG_8922.jpeg
    131.1 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_8927.jpeg
    IMG_8927.jpeg
    630.9 KB · Views: 129

Ski

How far did you go in your search?

If you hit high lung there may not be any blood, but there would be a dead deer well inside of 200yds.

If they saw you they wouldn't stop. If one didn't stop none would stop. And if he was hit he wouldn't stop. Not stopping doesn't necessarily mean he's hit but it might. My guess is if you didn't find him or any indication of a hit within 200yds, he's either not hit or not hit badly.

HomeAgain

I can't really recall how the shot felt. To be honest, that was a little bit nervous after the click. Plan on trying to get on the neighbors property to look today.

HomeAgain

How far did you go in your search?

If you hit high lung there may not be any blood, but there would be a dead deer well inside of 200yds.

If they saw you they wouldn't stop. If one didn't stop none would stop. And if he was hit he wouldn't stop. Not stopping doesn't necessarily mean he's hit but it might. My guess is if you didn't find him or any indication of a hit within 200yds, he's either not hit or not hit badly.
Probably walked at least 300 yards in all directions. Zigzagged the fields, Big circles to small circles in the woods. Probably going to walk it all again today. Heartbreaking to think that I hit him and he's dead up next to a big log somewhere in a thicket.

That morning about 20 minutes after that shot, I saw a really good 8 that I passed up thinking I had the big boy down. Such is hunting.

Lost Lake

It can be difficult to tell whether they are hit sometimes, even with a boiler room shot. I've shot some that showed zero reaction to the hit, ran uphill, turned and looked back and then moved off. Everything that would indicate a clean miss. Then, found a very dead deer at the end of a sparse blood trail.

I'd widen out the search, and just spend any time that you can spare until you're satisfied, and it sounds like you're not. Best of luck with it.

backyardtndeer

Especially with a muzzleloader it can be tough sometimes to watch a deer's body language as they run off while the smoke is clearing. If you felt steady and didn't rush or pull the shot, there's a good chance you hit him. Good luck finding him, if you hit him.

philsanchez76

Wow what a deer! I hope you find him or he's fine and dandy running around. Like he said above, if he's dead, you'd have major buzzard activity already. if you dont, that could indicate a miss.

Southern Sportsman

I'm sure someone has seen it, but I don't remember having one run off with his tail up when hit.

If he ran off with his tail up, you didn't find any blood or hair, and haven't seen buzzards nearby, I'd say you missed him. Hopefully he shows up again soon.

Lost Lake

I'm sure someone has seen it, but I don't remember having one run off with his tail up when hit.

If he ran off with his tail up, you didn't find any blood or hair, and haven't seen buzzards nearby, I'd say you missed him. Hopefully he shows up again soon.
I've had it happen. This buck ran off after a 40 yard shot with my 8x57 took out big holes in his lungs. Tail up, ran uphill, stopped and looked back and then followed the doe he was chasing like mad. Left me standing on the ground with my mouth wide open. Found him after 200 yards and little blood. I thought it was a clean miss.

Attachments

• E0279762-6DE6-4DDD-A6C8-65B5633C1AF7.png
    E0279762-6DE6-4DDD-A6C8-65B5633C1AF7.png
    371.6 KB · Views: 38

Latest posts