? For Y’all w/ the Tibbee Pants

Shag

I started to wear my Tibbee pants yesterday morning, as it was finally warm enough. However, I forgot to spray with permethrin the night before. I don't like spraying permethrin on something while I'm wearing it. So DEET based spray was all I was willing to use.

I got to thinking about the way DEET melts plastic…and I know any overspray is hell on vehicle clear coats if it gets on them. So I opted to just wear a pair of cotton pants and spray with DEET.

All this just to ask, have y'all tried spraying them with DEET without ill effects?

Shag

I saturated mine with permethrin but spray my socks before going in the woods with deet. Not directly spraying on the pants although they touch and no issues. Heck I didn't know deet will melt plastic.
You've never seen the DEET trick to restore cloudy headlights? Spray it on an old rag, wipe the headlights with it and it clears them up. What's it's doing is eating away the outer layer of plastic.

Shag

LMAO! Are you guys wanting to be MC Hammer or something? Wearing plastic pants!!!!
😂 Polypropylene is a plastic and you've worn that for years. I'd call these more like an UA type material. But it's all synthetic…plastics.

Edit: I retract that statement. Via Google: "Polyester is a synthetic fiber made from repeating units of polyethylene, while polypropylene is a polymer made from propylene oxide and other organic compounds. Polyester has a smooth texture while polypropylene has a rougher texture."

Last edited:

megalomaniac

I've never put DEET on mine, just permethrin. I do apply DEET to my hands and face, so I have it on my hands and have reached into my Tibbie pockets and it hasn't caused an issue yet.

They are all I wore this year, washed at least 7 or 8 times this season. Reapplied permethrin mid April

Gravey

LMAO! Are you guys wanting to be MC Hammer or something? Wearing plastic pants!!!!
Reminds me of my elementary days! 😂
Animated GIF

Latest posts