What are y’all seeing pressure wise for the public land hunter…

Soft Talker

My reputation usually presides me in these mountains, but I have had to threaten violence twice already so far. One local and 2 traveling idiots. 2nd offense and you walk back to where ever you came from ;)

Bone Collector

Was out on public on Monday. I heard 2 gobbling from the roost. I set up on one and had 2 hunters come in a spook it before fly down. I covered 9 miles and averaged about 1 hunter per mile. That's the most people I have seen in the past 3 seasons.
the biggest hunter magnet in the woods is a gobbling bird. Love to hear it and that is what makes it fun, but folks just come right to them. Most are respectful and will leave if you can get their attention and they see you, but some are idiots and go by the "its public land, so I can so whatever I want and you have to deal with it."

Buzzard Breath

I had to go down to Lewisburg this morning, so I took the long way and drove through Yanahli. There were more hunters than I expected for a Thursday, but less of them were from out-of-state and more from TN. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not. The out-of-state guys will normally be gone sooner.

I haven't actually been out hunting this year. My work load has gotten ridiculous again, I thought we were supposed to be headed towards a recession, but I've scheduled some free mornings into next week. I'll be out. It sure as he11 won't be at Yanahli.

Bgoodman30

I hunted opening morning and was pleasantly surprised no one tried to park by me or walk in on me. I had the hollar to myself. To bad the turkeys had lock jaw...

timberjack86

There's a lot of turkey at South Cherokee, while fishing Parksville Lake you can hear them up on top of the ridges, I ride through the mtns about 3 times a week and this year I ve seen 1 vehicle in the past 2 months, nobody hunts it anymore, back in the 70's and 80's there was so many hunters that hunters were calling to other hunters.
There's hardly anywhere to park on South Cherokee right now. All the gated roads have multiple vehicles and people will blow right past you to beat you to your spot. That's what I experienced last weekend. No talkative birds to be found.

tntrkkllr

Went by some public Monday after work it was crowded but was lucky enough no one was where I like to be! My friend went Thursday got there and set up in the dark, by 530 there was two people 150 yards away. Little
Before 6 a fella ( old guy drives a white gmc/Chevy and a local to that area ) walked 15 yards from him (with headlamp on) and went past him maybe 80/90 yards. He talked loud enough for the guy to hear and he looked at him and kept walking had no curiosity to back out or nothing. Attached is the video he sent me after the guy kept walking by. It really amazes me that no one cares any more and will just walk in on top of you.

Attachments

• IMG_6588.MOV
    17.7 MB

woodsman04

I have scared turkeys on purpose countless times after being walked in on by others when they knew in fact I was there.

My odd encounter this year has been two guys in a flat bottom. Driving, turning engine off and calling badly. Repeat every 50-100 yards. Both had mullets, flat bills, a leafy suit, snake chaps and were vaping. 7 years ago they probably had duck dynasty beards and long hair (if they can grow beards)
Just another normal set of fad hunters trying to be "cool"

Hduke86

I have scared turkeys on purpose countless times after being walked in on by others when they knew in fact I was there.

My odd encounter this year has been two guys in a flat bottom. Driving, turning engine off and calling badly. Repeat every 50-100 yards. Both had mullets, flat bills, a leafy suit, snake chaps and were vaping. 7 years ago they probably had duck dynasty beards and long hair (if they can grow beards)
Just another normal set of fad hunters trying to be "cool"
Sorry bro, my vaping has killed my lungs so my calling isn't the best and my old Johnson outboard kept dying every 50-100 yards. I just picked up a couple yeti coolers and they came with the flat bill hats. 🤣

woodsman04

I honestly ain't got a problem with flat bills, mullets, vaping, yetis, or how people dress at all. It is just the fad crowd that turkey hunts that bothers me hahaha

BrokenArrow

With the impact of YouTube channels on Turkey Hunting as well as deer...the amount of hunting pressure on public lands has increased tremendously over the past 10 years from what I have experienced.
30 years ago we were just getting to hunt turkey where I'm from.
My success rate has diminished in the last 5 or so years as the turkey population has been on a downward slope .
I live next to a TN WMA and have noticed that not only are there more hunters but more hunters that seem to act like spoiled brats more than sportsmen.
Too many are running around trying to become the next YouTube stars instead of being out there and enjoying the challenge of the sport
In some ways I believe social media has had a negative impact on what its really all about.
It has helped us to keep public lands from becoming developed at least.
I agree that some of the WMA's might be better off as a quota hunt only for the first half of the season. There are far too many crowding and pressuring smaller areas and it's affecting hunting in a big way.
On a final note....some of the newer generation just needs to grow up and stop acting like a bunch of schoolyard bullies and put the cameras down for a while.

Latest posts