First blood or first lethal hit?

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
Many years ago I shot a deer in buffalo valley Tn , not a good shot but he would have died overnight. The deer ran down the hill almost toppling 2 othe hunters who in turn both shot him, one guy twice pretty much putting him down there. They called out that he was down. I walked down the hill, looked at the carnage and congratulated the two of them on a fine deer and started my climb out of the valley.
12 years ago I shot a nice 10 on private land adjoining ft Campbell, hit him forward far enough I knew it would be bad for both of us. I gave him a couple hours and began tracking. When he crossed onto ft Campbell I left my rifle in a deadfall and continued. After about a half mile I was waived over by a hunter on the ft and he had watched the buck circle him and bed down in a treetop. He suggested I back out and come back the next day. Since he was armed (legally) I asked him if he wanted to take the buck and put him out of his misery, he declined but offered to put him down for me and did. I never felt like that was my buck but couldn't see wasting it either.

Latest posts