First blood or first lethal hit?

fairchaser

Sooner or later two hunters will shoot the same deer. It's happened to me. Whose buck is it? Who's to say what's lethal? Is a gut shot lethal? What if a third hunter takes the final cou de grau?

This bizarre story that shows anything can happen in the deer woods.

What say ye?

Lost Lake

My personal belief is that I don't want someone else's deer. If they've hit it, I don't want it.

Two times I've finished deer that others have shot. One was a friends deer that he'd shot a couple of farms away. He was happy to have his deer, and I was more than happy to help.

The other, I finished as he staggered directly up under my stand after I heard shots an hour earlier. Shot under the spine twice, he might have lived, but I didn't want to chance it. I put the word out for anyone in the area that I had their deer.

No takers.

backyardtndeer

Sounds like her shot/s would have eventually been lethal, deer should be hers. Aram sounds like a douche.
I hadn't even looked at that thread yet. Guess I may check it out tomorrow.

Now with that being said, if I have a deer show up on my land in front of me that is grazed or non fatally hit, and I kill it, it is my deer. If I have a deer that is in a death run and it is hit fatally show up in front of me and I finish it off, I guess I might try to figure out who shot it first and let them retrieve it.

fairchaser

My son and I both were in a field looking for blood from a doe that he had shot at when we both looked up and saw a big buck about 300 yds away. We both squatted in the grass and I made the first shot which missed. The buck reacted from the sound by running towards us both. At about 75 yds, my son shot at the deer. The deer continued running seemingly unfazed and I shot the second time and this time dropped the buck.

Initially we both figured I killed the buck until we started dressing the buck and found the second bullet hole. We went back to the scene and backtracked the bucks track and decided my son had hit the buck through the chest with his shot. Since he put the first lethal shot in the buck, it's hanging in his house and belongs to him!

This business about whoever puts the final killing shot on a deer is bunk when the buck is on his death run. Also, if a buck is not mortally wounded by a hunter but another hunter kills it later, it belongs to second hunter. This has also happened to me.

Crazy stuff happens in the deer woods!

fairchaser

It seems most are siding with the girl but would it make any difference if it was another dude? Also, if her one shot that hit the deer was not going to anchor the deer or cause the deer to bed without the leg hit made by the other hunter? A gut shot deer might not die for days or longer. Without blood would she have been able to trail the buck at all?

I think the guy was fired from OL magazine because he took a long unethical shot which he freely admits.

Jcalder

It seems most are siding with the girl but would it make any difference if it was another dude? Also, if her one shot that hit the deer was not going to anchor the deer or cause the deer to bed without the leg hit made by the other hunter? A gut shot deer might not die for days or longer. Without blood would she have been able to trail the buck at all?

I think the guy was fired from OL magazine because he took a long unethical shot which he freely admits.
He was fired because he stole that woman's deer. He went wrong when he took it upon hisself to track down her deer, and shoot it two more times. He even said the deer he shot initially didn't have a collar. So what happened to that deer? And she don't deserve a buck that size?!? He's just a douche, regardless of who he is.

MickThompson

My personal belief is that I don't want someone else's deer. If they've hit it, I don't want it.

Two times I've finished deer that others have shot. One was a friends deer that he'd shot a couple of farms away. He was happy to have his deer, and I was more than happy to help.

The other, I finished as he staggered directly up under my stand after I heard shots an hour earlier. Shot under the spine twice, he might have lived, but I didn't want to chance it. I put the word out for anyone in the area that I had their deer.

No takers.
Do you want to claim a deer that someone else had to kill or finish off for you?

Urban_Hunter

He also wildly alludes to her tracking the deer through radio collar frequencies and also some other illegal action he won't mention.

I also think if he shoots a deer she has already hit, then aids in the recovery, then let's her have the deer he has a hero's story of helping a mother/housewife achieve a lifelong goal in laying hands on the deer of a lifetime. This is what he has instead…

Ski

That's just it. She and her husband claims she hit the buck twice, once lethally. They also claim to have found hair and blood which is what they were following.

If the deer wasn't mortally wounded and a blood trail leading to it, how did the second hunter find it so fast? He claims the leg wound was his first shot but neither the woman nor her husband saw the buck limping. It doesn't add up. The leg wound very well could have been one of his follow up shots that nobody else saw. There were 4 holes in the buck. She says she hit it twice and he says he hit it twice.

Being a woman doesn't change how I feel about it at all. It's too bad the other hunter felt like he could bull her, and her limpdick husband allowed it. But I wasn't there and don't know the vibes of the situation. If they felt potentially threatened then no deer is worth escalating the tensions.

I do agree with OL firing him. Doesn't look good on them at all if they turned a blind eye. I'm glad they had the balls to tell him get lost.

fairchaser

The story seems to hinge on whether the bucks front leg was hit. The girls story doesn't say that it was. The dudes story says he hit the deer's leg at the knee creating a good blood trail. They both agree there were 4 holes in the deer. She says she hit it twice and he says he hit it 3 times. Something doesn't add up. The pictures should tell the story on who's telling the truth. His boorish behavior shouldn't be a factor neither should be the last 2 finishing shots. If she indeed hit it twice, it's her buck. If not, then it should be which shot was more responsible for finding the buck to finish him off.

Ski

His boorish behavior shouldn't be a factor neither should be the last 2 finishing shots. If she indeed hit it twice, it's her buck. If not, then it should be which shot was more responsible for finding the buck to finish him off.

With 4 holes in the deer, who's to say which hole belongs to which hunter? And since he was the only one cutting in to "autopsy" the deer as he claimed, then he's singly responsible for interpretation of the evidence. Given the circumstances how could anybody reasonably trust his assessment? There's really no way to know how many holes were in the buck or where they were placed. We only have his word, and I'm not ready to trust that.

Regardless of who the deer belongs to, it's tainted. I bet he wishes he could go back and do things differently. Is everyone to believe the woman and her husband are just making all this up to be rotten? There's a reason they raised a stink and it's not because the guy was being fair.

Latest posts