Recommendations on packable down vest

DMD

I wear a vest but didn't buy it in camo so I can wear it anytime it's cold. I have several colors of goose down vest. I'm a cheapskate. I wear goose down underwear purchased several years ago and a wool sweater with fleece lined jeans and an IWOM Suit when it gets cold. I will not spend any more days freezing my butt off. It's heavy to pack in (all my clothes and food) but I am comfortable. I believe you will like that vest. I wear a long sleeve shirt and change into my under armor and hunting clothes when I get to my stand. I sweat terribly and have to dry off with a towel before I change.
I dress extremely light walking in. I carry a climber with a backpack strapped to it. Backpack has all my stand clothes strapped to it. I look like a homeless person with everything I own strapped to my back. I just wear lightest weight silky base layer, t shirt, vest and regular camo pants, and non-insulated boots. I don't get sweaty on the walk. I make sure of it. Once I'm in the tree, i put a lightweight insulated jacket on and (if it's cold) i have a "Warm Bag". It's like a 3/4 length camo sleeping bag with denier on the bottom where your feet are and suspenders. It is best thing i ever bought for hunting. Keeps my feet and legs warm and covers about halfway up my torso.

DMD

I dress extremely light walking in. I carry a climber with a backpack strapped to it. Backpack has all my stand clothes strapped to it. I look like a homeless person with everything I own strapped to my back. I just wear lightest weight silky base layer, t shirt, vest and regular camo pants, and non-insulated boots. I don't get sweaty on the walk. I make sure of it. Once I'm in the tree, i put a lightweight insulated jacket on and (if it's cold) i have a "Warm Bag". It's like a 3/4 length camo sleeping bag with denier on the bottom where your feet are and suspenders. It is best thing i ever bought for hunting. Keeps my feet and legs warm and covers about halfway up my torso. I rarely get cold, but noticed this year, on windy days, I got pretty cold. That's why i decided to upgrade on the vest.

Lone Hunter

My problem is I start sweating anytime I do any type of exertion. I can walk from the bedroom upstairs to the great room downstairs and I will be sweating. I utterly hate summer as I have to change clothes often or wear sweaty clothes which I can't stand. Like you going hunting I look like I'm taking the homeless camp with me but dress light and carry a beach towel in a big sealed bag. I don't even wear a hat walking in as it will be soaked in perspiration if I do and that is not walking fast. The wool sweater and goose down made all the difference on packing light. The IWOM bag stops the wind and is pretty water proof. The IWOM bag encapsulates from your feet to your head and I have never been cold since I bought it. It is designed for Canadian weather.You can roll it up like a sleeping bag and strap it down and it by itself is plenty warm most of our hunting days. I feel it's better to have too many clothes than not enough because I am going to be comfortable.

DMD

My problem is I start sweating anytime I do any type of exertion. I can walk from the bedroom upstairs to the great room downstairs and I will be sweating. I utterly hate summer as I have to change clothes often or wear sweaty clothes which I can't stand. Like you going hunting I look like I'm taking the homeless camp with me but dress light and carry a beach towel in a big sealed bag. I don't even wear a hat walking in as it will be soaked in perspiration if I do and that is not walking fast. The wool sweater and goose down made all the difference on packing light. The IWOM bag stops the wind and is pretty water proof. The IWOM bag encapsulates from your feet to your head and I have never been cold since I bought it. It is designed for Canadian weather.You can roll it up like a sleeping bag and strap it down and it by itself is plenty warm most of our hunting days. I feel it's better to have too many clothes than not enough because I am going to be comfortable.
The IWOM is really nice. I had one once. Bought it from a guy on tndeer. And i think I sold it to someone on here. I just never used it. But, they are super nice. The key to staying warm is staying dry. Or, like you, drying off and changing clothes.

killingtime 41

I wear one that's camo on one side and orange on the other. I've worn one for years. Of course I've had several different ones due to zipper breaking. But I like it the orange side so I can wear it keeping warm and pack in the jacket for when I get to my location. Rural kings last place I got one.

Latest posts