TWRA seeks input on Changes to seasons

killingtime 41

Twra gets no money from the general fund. I always thought that was a great idea. Stays out of the states hands. Well Now they are as corrupt as any other state entity. Between all of the online sights everyone is on. Why don't we prove a point and sit out buying a license for a year. How much you want to bet our voices would be heard then. They don't manage anything every place you go it's worse every year. You call them about violations you see out in the field and it's brushed aside as if who cares. This is one entity we as hunters would have the last say with our wallets.

Jcalder

Twra gets no money from the general fund. I always thought that was a great idea. Stays out of the states hands. Well Now they are as corrupt as any other state entity. Between all of the online sights everyone is on. Why don't we prove a point and sit out buying a license for a year. How much you want to bet our voices would be heard then. They don't manage anything every place you go it's worse every year. You call them about violations you see out in the field and it's brushed aside as if who cares. This is one entity we as hunters would have the last say with our wallets.
It's hard to write citations when your own are breaking the same rules

killingtime 41

One more thing I'll add. Do focus groups pay the bills. No of course not. So do the focus groups stand to gain anything by these changes. I would bet a weeks pay they do. I'm sure they're just taking comments so they can say they did nothing else. If all the trends that I've been reading about. Like average age of bucks killed yearly. I've read over and over that the age structure is getting higher. Health of the herd is great. Then why change anything just for the sake doing so.

WestTn Huntin man

2-Step Enabled
Thanks For The Link to the Survey. Took a while to give my 2cents worth. In general more restrictions and laws will decrease license sells. Buck or Antlerless restrictions in West Tn will just increase the deer Farmers kill and road kill.

THE DUKE

They listed a dumbass proposal to run the gun season a few days and then close it about a week and then reopen. The "thought" was that it would give a second opening day effect and let processors catch up. It obviously didn't matter to the FOCUS group that they were closing it to gun at the peak hunting time for a bunch of folks.
This is a dumb proposal but it's the government so it will probably happen. The one making the final call is probably not a hunter just someone with a piece of paper saying he's qualified. That just mean more wounded and crippled deer that are never recovered.

TX300mag

Correct. The flipside is there are a good many hunters like myself who start the season "in Unit CWD" with 3 antlered tags, kill 5-6 does, submit them for testing, earn those 5-6 antlered tags, and close out the season without killing a buck. Essentially I'll have 6-9 buck tags this year and may not use the first one, just like last year. I killed 5 does last season, zero bucks. Also, the earned antlered tags are only good for Unit CWD, not Unit L, Unit A, etc.

This is most people. I'm the same way. I've started seasons with up to 10 buck tags before and not killed any.

I think there's psychological effect to having liberal opportunities and bag limits. By having long seasins and extra tags hunters don't feel any pressure to get their value through harvest. Narrow down hunting days and bag limits and hunters feel the need to kill to get value.

TX300mag

Thanks For The Link to the Survey. Took a while to give my 2cents worth. In general more restrictions and laws will decrease license sells. Buck or Antlerless restrictions in West Tn will just increase the deer Farmers kill and road kill.

Exactly. Sone people would rather let farmers kill scores of them indiscriminately at night than their neighbor kill a few does. I promise these farmers aren't practicing QDM, especially when none of them have antlers.

wcw280

Exactly. Sone people would rather let farmers kill scores of them indiscriminately at night than their neighbor kill a few does. I promise these farmers aren't practicing QDM, especially when none of them have antlers.
I know farmers that kill over 100 in a couple different fields of theirs each year. But I'd hate to leave that buck limit at 2

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
I know this is a dik move but...

Awww well darn NOW everyone is all tore up with twra.
I thought duck hunters were just cry babies when they gave us a royal screwing.
We were liars when we showed skewed and straight up changed survey answers.

Hmmm interesting.

Seriously good luck with that.

Bone Collector

About 30 minutes into the video he starts talking about it. Open gun season on Saturday before Thanksgiving and close it the Sunday after Thanksgiving. Then bow only open for 12 days then reopen gun. I am mad again lol
I had to go back and redo the survey. It allowed me to. What you have to do is click all those boxes that talk about various parts of the season. The first time I only clicked what I was most interested in talking about. the second time I clicked more boxes and got that dialogue box.

absolutely stupid to do that. For Mid TN it may work ok, but it would screw certain parts of the state for rut timing. Also Rut here in Rutherford starts within about a week with cruising and Peak is about the week of Thanksgiving (so when they want to open gun). However it runs into early Dec with some does coming in later. then we get another pop in December. I don't know if the second opening date would catch the second pop or be too late?

There is no way to make everyone happy, but the trophy hunting committees, I mean focus groups, want to lower buck limits and grow bigger bucks. They want to do like other states that are known for bigger bucks and that includes reducing gun season.

I get it and think it would help growing bigger bucks, but anyone that is not a bow hunter is going to be irate and honestly I like having the odds in my favor, so I am ok with what we have.

RedDawg

I submitted mine and watched the meeting, maybe I missed it but they keep referring to the focus group. Did they tell who these people were or how they came up with the members of the focus group? Just wondering, again I may have missed it.
At 8:18 into the video they mention the focus group membership by group but not by individual name.

Bone Collector

I hated the split season. I hate the idea of going to "other weapons" for only the second week of the muzzleloader season, go all the way or not at all.
See I never clicked on that, so they didn't share that module with me. I guess I should have checked all the boxes. was more worried with turkey seasons and deer season/bag limits than what gun we using.

deerfever

At 8:18 into the video they mention the focus group membership by group but not by individual name.
Yes , they seem to speak of the focus group over and over in the video and on the survey. They never mentioned a name or how they came up with this group of people that I remember. Interesting to say the least. I just wondered if I missed something. I am guessing all decisions have been made for the most part but I did send my thoughts in.

Omega

Exactly, we get all of the restrictions of CWD but none of the 'benefits'.
That was my comment, they need to review the CWD policy, and in the wake of the lawsuit, they need to go back and relook the CWD high risk counties. If the test is in question it should be pulled out of that group, especially if it was only one deer.

deerhunter10

I sat through the whole dog and pony show presentation. It is very obvious from the presentation that their HANDPICKED focus groups have already made the decisions. If they don't get the response they want from the "after the decision" survey for the commoners, I suspect they will change the data like they did in the duck blind debacle.

I have ZERO trust in anything coming from the biological side of TWRA at this point. Even knowing it was a total waste of my time, I did submit a survey with some very directed comments.
I wasted my time with it as well. I'm honestly not sure their end game but it doesn't seem to be about the herd or hunters any more. That was clear when they drug their ass when it came to turkeys. Then they just threw some thing on the wall and hope it stuck. What at one time I thought was a decent to pretty good agency has seemed to go down hill very fast. They are about to make some mistakes. And also why in the world are they worried about processors? That's a private business if they can't keep up that's on them not on twra.

wcw280

What would you like the buck limit to be?
I think 1 a year is stupid no matter how you cut it. You can't shoot a cull and a good deer. 2 is fine 3 works fine too. You also got to remember the guys that don't have much time to hunt because they are out there making a living and maybe only shoot two deer a year. He shoots a buck with muzzleloader or first week of gun season and he's got to hunt a doe instead of just going to hunt for deer when he gets his next chance to go. I'm just saying when you ve walked down a creek where you could dang near walk on dead deer from EHD what good was keeping someone from killing an extra deer the year before. Keep it in perspective. Everyone ain't out there hunting the biggest deer in the woods. And I say good for them go have fun.

Latest posts