TWRA meeting today

Buzzard Breath

Thanks for sharing. I'm tired of the back and forth, having to relearn regs and having to advise less serious hunters repeatedly on reg changes. Set it and forget it for enough seasons to get a reading on things.
^^^^ This ^^^^

I've gotten to where I just don't care what the regs are. I'm going to get out and hunt whatever/whenever a season is open. I'm just tired of having to relearn and research the different areas every year. If I had a lease, or hunted the same county all the time, it wouldn't be a big deal. I could just look-up the regs every June and be good for the year. But, I'm primarily a public land guy and travel around to hunt. Every county seams to change almost every year. Having to read the regs before every hunt is starting to suck the fun out of it. Add in the CWD regs and areas changing throughout the season and it just gets worse.

TheLBLman

Having to read the regs before every hunt is starting to suck the fun out of it. Add in the CWD regs and areas changing throughout the season and it just gets worse.
Exactly.
And confusing, complicated regs have become a driver contributing to fewer people hunting, fewer people starting to hunt.
Every honest person is afraid they're going to accidently violate some rule or new edict.

Regs need to be simple, seldom changed, and strictly enforced
to be good regs.

MickThompson

There will be a huge number of birds killed in a 2-bird county
but "checked in" in a 3-bird county, and many of them will be the very 1st bird
the shooter checks in for the year, not his 3rd.

This means the statewide harvest data becomes even less valuable
because it becomes more skewed.

TWRA has near zero ability to sort out the lawless from the lawful,
so again, just another edict that overall may do more harm than good.
Dishonest shooters get rewarded, honest hunters get punished.
That's the reality.

There is no perfect plan.
But when we went to the very simple, convenient on-line and/or tele-check
(instead of the physical in-person check stations),
we lost the practical ability to more accurately managed by county
and by units.

The current check-in system is rife for abuse,
but at least with a simple statewide limit,
regardless the number, there is little incentive
to falsely claim the county (or unit) of kill.

I don't see doing away with the current internet/tele-check system.
So for that reason, it becomes more imperative than ever
for TWRA to keep game laws as simple and uniform as possible "statewide".
TnDeer has collectively begged for changes to deer units and new turkey units. This is what you get with management units- different reg packages.

TheLBLman

TnDeer has collectively begged for changes to deer units and new turkey units. This is what you get with management units- different reg packages.
Yes, it can be good on one hand, but a disaster on the other.

Instead of a lower bag limit in some East TN counties,
a better, more enforceable plan would have been a delayed season opening
in those East TN counties.

Or maybe simply a statewide 2-bird limit.

TboneD

Don't take it personally but I just want to know. Am I reading the antlerless limit correctly? What's the point of six units if there's only two limits? Has TnDeer collectively begged for MORE counties to slay 3 does a day and the deer herds in the mountains to be decimated?

TNGunsmoke

2-Step Enabled
What's the point of six units if there's only two limits?
My opinion, and it's just that, is there are 6 units so they can fine tune things as they go, every couple of years. 3 does a day is thinking that you might get an opportunity to take that many every now and then if you don't get to hunt often. I doubt anyone is killing that many every day, or even more than a couple of times a season. I'll kill 3-5 deer in a season normally, and usually only one or 2 does. And I've never killed 3 does in a day. Killing 2 deer in a day is enough work.

scn

I don't think that is a true statement. Yes, you have a handful of grip-n-grinnrrs wanting more liberal regs. But, not the majority of the site.

The proposed regs suck.

kentuckylakebuck1

Yes that is a giant step backward. The majority of eastern counties need doe limits reduced in all seasons including archery.
east Tennessee boys better wake up, it the insurance companies that are " lobbying " for more liberal limits to reduce the deer heard! I know I will get ridiculed for saying this but, I feel this is the truth from very credible sources!

BSK

east Tennessee boys better wake up, it the insurance companies that are " lobbying " for more liberal limits to reduce the deer heard! I know I will get ridiculed for saying this but, I feel this is the truth from very credible sources!
You're sources are NOT credible. I've had the chance to speak to several states' Deer Project Coordinators from all over the Eastern U.S. Not one - not one - had ever been contacted by an insurance agency about reducing deer numbers. Insurance companies don't care. They just increase the cost of their insurance to cover the losses.

tnanh

Yes that is a giant step backward. The majority of eastern counties need doe limits reduced in all seasons including archery.
The rules for west tennesse, and unit L have been very misleading for years. There isnt a place in Tn. That should have a 3 doe a day limit. Makes people think west Tn. Is over run with deer. TWRA and the bs commission has been a fing joke for many many years.

Latest posts