TWRA meeting today

BSK

Considering the reported deer harvest in TN is more bucks being killed than does, I'm wondering how much of the worry over doe-overharvest - especially in western and middle TN - is warranted. Personally, I'm far more concerned about the use of depredation permits by farmers than I am how many does hunters are allowed. Sure doesn't seem like hunters are killing that many does. We/the TWRA have to come up with a better solution to deer eating crops than just giving farmers carte blanche to kill every deer in their fields.

DeerCamp

Yes that is a giant step backward. The majority of eastern counties need doe limits reduced in all seasons including archery.
The problem probably occurs when a bunch of people who live in east tennessee are in their ear about not being able to kill enough deer.

It's not a smart strategy imo, but it has to be near impossible to please everyone.

Omega

The rules for west tennesse, and unit L have been very misleading for years. There isnt a place in Tn. That should have a 3 doe a day limit. Makes people think west Tn. Is over run with deer. TWRA and the bs commission has been a fing joke for many many years.
I don't know about that, I've hunted Unit L for over 10 years and we still have a bunch of deer (doe). too many in some places.

tnanh

You're sources are NOT credible. I've had the chance to speak to several states' Deer Project Coordinators from all over the Eastern U.S. Not one - not one - had ever been contacted by an insurance agency about reducing deer numbers. Insurance companies don't care. They just increase the cost of their insurance to cover the

I don't know about that, I've hunted Unit L for over 10 years and we still have a bunch of deer (doe). too many in some places.
Well, I have hunted it for over 50 years and 3 does a day is ridiculous. Several different counties. Public and private. Unit L has its place as a temporary solution but counties should be moved in and out of unit L. Ehd outbreak of 2019 is a prime example. Perry, Hickman, and Lewis county lost at least 60% of the deer herd per twra. They knew it before the season opened and left all of them in unit L because seasons had been set. This is setting seasons not wildlife management.

mike243

The problem probably occurs when a bunch of people who live in east tennessee are in their ear about not being able to kill enough deer.

It's not a smart strategy imo, but it has to be near impossible to please everyone.
Who are those folks? I hate that they took a buck tag away from everybody but didn't ask for more deer to be killed, nobody I know and hunt with asked for more doe opportunity, if I wanted to kill more doe I would drag the Xbow out and start thumping them again. I don't shootem to watch them flop then give them to HFTH.

Omega

Well, I have hunted it for over 50 years and 3 does a day is ridiculous. Several different counties. Public and private. Unit L has its place as a temporary solution but counties should be moved in and out of unit L. Ehd outbreak of 2019 is a prime example. Perry, Hickman, and Lewis county lost at least 60% of the deer herd per twra. They knew it before the season opened and left all of them in unit L because seasons had been set. This is setting seasons not wildlife management.
I can see moving any trouble areas out of unit L, but making a blanket statement about the entire unit being unable to sustain 3 doe a day is incorrect. I can't speak about the other counties, but in montgomery we certainly can use more does taken. The problem isn't the 3 a day limit, it's that many will only kill bucks, and only the ones that meet their size/age standards.

Iglow

What do you do with 3 does a day? 3 x 7 is 21 dead deer, who wants to fool with that? And that's just a weeks worth.
I heard sometimes of this group or that group killing 1000 dux in a season, what do you do with 1000 dead dux? How much freezer space are you powering year around? What's the possession limit?

Omega

What do you do with 3 does a day? 3 x 7 is 21 dead deer, who wants to fool with that? And that's just a weeks worth.
I heard sometimes of this group or that group killing 1000 dux in a season, what do you do with 1000 dead dux? How much freezer space are you powering year around? What's the possession limit?
The vast majority of hunters will not kill that many, the most I've taken is two, twice. If I were hunting for friends, I would certainly take what I needed in a day if I could, though my place in unit L will not hold that many.

TboneD

I can see moving any trouble areas out of unit L, but making a blanket statement about the entire unit being unable to sustain 3 doe a day is incorrect. I can't speak about the other counties, but in montgomery we certainly can use more does taken. The problem isn't the 3 a day limit, it's that many will only kill bucks, and only the ones that meet their size/age standards.
But that's the thing. How many areas have they moved out of Unit L other than when they FINALLY took Cheatham WMA back out of it years after the EHD outbreak? They let the herd get so decimated that after a few years of doe protection it still took a publicity campaign to get hunters back!

In fact it looks like they're gonna allow even more counties to slay three a day. Obviously most folks realize the work involved in killing three in a day. But maybe more than we know never get to tagging them because they're too busy with said work, and think it doesn't matter if they forget since there's obviously too many. I don't know, but I can imagine that the messaging might soothe a poacher's conscience. And I know it's obvious but it certainly doesn't help with all the overhunting of the public land that still has such a liberal doe limit. As I've asked before, (other than in CWD zones) what other states do this?

deerhunter10

Considering the reported deer harvest in TN is more bucks being killed than does, I'm wondering how much of the worry over doe-overharvest - especially in western and middle TN - is warranted. Personally, I'm far more concerned about the use of depredation permits by farmers than I am how many does hunters are allowed. Sure doesn't seem like hunters are killing that many does. We/the TWRA have to come up with a better solution to deer eating crops than just giving farmers carte blanche to kill every deer in their fields.
This.. the farmer depredation permits are a problem seen it first hand for people, not only that extremely wasteful as well. But on the other hand I know a lot of people that haven't killed a doe in years but kill 1 to 2 bucks every year. We personally have a management plan (by us not biologist) but it's something atleast and our herd seems decently balanced. One thing I would absolutely hate to see come down the line though is an earn a buck program. I would be highly against that for sure.

( I'm in unit L)

DeerCamp

And I think this again goes back to a lack of quality deer processors.

Omega

But that's the thing. How many areas have they moved out of Unit L other than when they FINALLY took Cheatham WMA back out of it years after the EHD outbreak? They let the herd get so decimated that after a few years of doe protection it still took a publicity campaign to get hunters back!

In fact it looks like they're gonna allow even more counties to slay three a day. Obviously most folks realize the work involved in killing three in a day. But maybe more than we know never get to tagging them because they're too busy with said work, and think it doesn't matter if they forget since there's obviously too many. I don't know, but I can imagine that the messaging might soothe a poacher's conscience. And I know it's obvious but it certainly doesn't help with all the overhunting of the public land that still has such a liberal doe limit. As I've asked before, (other than in CWD zones) what other states do this?
Moving counties into and out of units is a valid issue, but again, trying to make it a unit level issue is wrong IMO. Below are a few older unit maps I found, couldn't find the new proposed unit one but I've seen it posted here somewhere, but anyway it shows that arguments can be made to change the units without screwing around with the current unit regs.

2016 Units.
1711134478829.png

Unknown Year
1711134555693.png

Current Units.
1711134662150.png

tnanh

I understand the part about people refusing to kill does. I like them. They are tasty but i stick to my statement that 3 a day is unsustainable and sends the wrong message.

Omega

I understand the part about people refusing to kill does. I like them. They are tasty but i stick to my statement that 3 a day is unsustainable and sends the wrong message.
Do you recall how long it's been 3 a day? I believe it's been since I have hunted Montgomery country, which is at least 10, maybe longer since I got here in 2020.

TX300mag

Two full weeks in between youth and muzzleloader.

I might hunt in Texas since it'll open a full week earlier than TN MZ

If it were unsustainable we wouldn't have a deer herd that results in farmers having to slaughter them during the summer time after 15 years or more of Unit L regs.

Latest posts