Turkey hunting boots

Newt

Setterman, spend the money and get the turtle skin snake gaiters, light as a feather and still a little warm but nothing like snake boots or other gaiters I ve had

TNRifleman

OP - describe the water you cross; small shallow streams in the mountains or deep sloughs in river bottoms. Have you considered First Lite or Kennetrek gaiters for wet grass and small streams? My buds out West rave about them, but I do not own a pair......yet.
The Salomon 4d 3 GTX with a good pair of gaitors would be great. I wear my Salomons elk and deer hunting and have crossed shallow streams without gaitors and stayed dry.

tree_ghost

Generally speaking, all of my boots last a fair amount of time. With that said, all of my boots instantly go on a boot dryer when I come in from the woods. I own and routinely use three boot dryers, thus no excuses for not having one with me wherever I am at.
That's a purchase I'll be making this year. I went on my first wing shooting trip this fall and after kicking dew filled brush all morning and afternoon my feet were miserable. What's worse is waking up to slide your feet back in those cold wet heavy boots...

Andy S.

After a few weeks of research on my feet and what boot would work well for me, I recently ordered a pair of Crispi Briksdal Uninsulated from Midway. The Briksdal is a more narrow boot, that aligns with my long and narrow foot. Years ago, my foot measured 14 AA (long and narrow) when I was fitted for some nicer dress shoes, but I have always worn size 13 in most casual shoes/boots and just made it work. I finally took some time recently to properly measure both of my feet. I printed and cut out some diagrams and did all the measuring/mapping myself. My left foot is a tad longer than my right (true for a lot of men), thus I had to order size 14 in the Crispi boots. I have had them for a few weeks and they were pretty stiff out of the box, but are slowly breaking in with each passing day that I wear them. I plan to have them broke in enough and ready for turkey season this year. For reference, my Salomon Quest 4D GTX boots (8" height) weigh 28 ounces EACH, where my new Crispi Briksdal boots (9" height) weigh 34 ounces EACH. To be clear, the main reason I am getting new boots is my left big toe started toeing out (hitting the end) in my Salomon boots, and it was very noticeable last year in the mountains of Missouri. Other than that, I love my lighter weight Salomon's and they have served me well for the last 4-5 years. I used them for all warm weather hunting when I was not around a bunch of water.

Andy S.

From my research over last month, my personal choice came down to Crispi Briksdal and Kenetrek Hardscrabble (Narrow). I was going to order both, and return the pair I liked less. I called Kenetrek directly and the lady told me 4-6 weeks at the earliest before they expected a shipment with size 14A. I could not find the Hardscrabble in stock in size 14A, thus my decision was made for me.

Rokslide "Footwear" forum is a wealth of information from the hardcore guys out West who have tried many brands/styles, and who punish their boots. Some of those guys (sheep hunters, etc) buy new high end boots every year.

Last edited:

TheLBLman

Thanks, Andy & Setterman!
Shame we don't seem to have any retail store that actually stocks high-end boots.
Somewhat understand their dilemma, just prefer to try on several sizes, get it right the first time.

Anyone else NOT "like" the little orange dot on the Crispi boots?
Don't know why that irritates me,
other than maybe I've become an ole curmudgeon 😆
Those Briksdals do have a hard-to-find 9" height that's in between so many similar only offered in 7-8" or 10".

Last edited:

Andy S.

^^^ I'd prefer all of the orange (small dot, Crispi lettering and small triangle on back) on my Crispi boots be done away with. Just a personal preference that aligns with your comment.

Setterman

Hey Andy & Setterman!

Do you guys still like your Crispi boots?
Blew any expectations I had out of the water. It took a week or so to break them in, but once I did they were fantastic. I was really impressed with how well they performed on really steep slopes side hilling, or climbing loose dirt faces.

expensive, but a really great boot. If I had one complaint it would be that they could be a couple inches taller. When set up on birds a couple of times the flex being on my Achilles would restrict blood flow a little and cause my foot to fall asleep. I think a 10" boot would be slightly better, but I'm really nitpicking As it wasn't a huge issue.

TheLBLman

Blew any expectations I had out of the water.

If I had one complaint it would be that they could be a couple inches taller. When set up on birds a couple of times the flex being on my Achilles would restrict blood flow a little and cause my foot to fall asleep. I think a 10" boot would be slightly better, but I'm really nitpicking As it wasn't a huge issue.
Thanks, Setterman!

I continued to use what I had (new Irish Setter snake boots) this past turkey season.

The Crispi boots most appealing for my intended uses is the non-insulated Briksdal GTX 9". Unfortunately, it seems to be available only in D width, and will not work with my EEE feet.

The boot height is a bigger issue for me because I'm often crossing some spring-fed streams where the water is still typically ankle to 6" deep at most convenient crossings. It's just too easy to dip water with 6 to 8" boots.

Believe I'm going to pull the trigger on the Crispi Guide Non-Insulated GTX which is a 10" boot. As an aside, part of my plan is for these to largely replace my use of snake boots.
[h3][/h3]