Turkey hunting boots

hbg1

Got to get a new pair for upcoming season. I am a runner and gunner, 5-6 miles a hunt. Looking for lightweight, 100% waterproof, and comfort primarily. Not looking for hiking boots, I cross lots of streams, need something pretty tall. Would love to hear from those who hunt the same way but also anyone that turkey hunts.

megalomaniac

I think SCN posted up a deal on lacross aeroheads on the 'deals' subforum a couple years ago. I bought a pair for $49, they are one of the lightest rubber boots I've worn. In fact, I like them so much, I only wear them on turkey hunts and wear my other rubber boots during deer season. Can't say if they hold up yet, as I usually change from those neoprene boots and socks back into low ultralight hikers after the morning hunt when I get back to the truck. I don't care if I soak the hikers crossing a creek after the temp gets up. But holy crap, I failed to dry them out between days once last year and I thought I was NEVER going to get the rotten feet smell out of my hikers.

Remington700

I have a couple of things I wear. I have knee high rubber boots for swamp hunting. Of course I am not putting in the miles there. I have hiking boots I wear with gaiters for putting in the miles.

bowhunterfanatic

I hunt almost the same way and spend a lot of time in creeks and feeder ditches/creeks. I wear Lacrosse Grange 100% of the time. Maybe it's just because it fits my foot very well but it's the most comfortable rubber boot I've ever worn. I'm on my second pair now and when they wear out I'll gladly buy my third pair.

Andy S.

I am on the move until I strike a turkey in most places I hunt. For hills and hollars, with minimal water, I wear Salomon hiking boots, definitely the most comfortable option I have. If I think I will encounter water regularly like west TN river bottoms, I wear Lacrosse Grange rubber knee boots with an aftermarket insole.

Last edited:

Andy S.

OP - describe the water you cross; small shallow streams in the mountains or deep sloughs in river bottoms. Have you considered First Lite or Kennetrek gaiters for wet grass and small streams? My buds out West rave about them, but I do not own a pair......yet.

bvoss

I am on the move until I strike a turkey in most places I hunt. For hills and hollars, with minimal water, I wear Salomon hiking boots, definitely the most comfortable option I have. If I think I will encounter water regularly like west TN river bottoms, I wear Lacrosse Grange rubber boots with an aftermarket insole.
Ive tried several brands of snake boots and others for turkey hunting. To me these are the most comfortable and practical. I just got a new set for this year. Just hard to beat the simplicity, comfort, and reliability of these boots.

Southern Sportsman

Depending on where I'm hunting, I will either wear a pair of Columbia hiking boots, knee high muck boots, or hip waders. I wore hip waders more than anything else last year.

For years I wore Danner knee-high snake boots almost exclusively, more for the light weight but water proof aspect than for snakes. But on dry ground farms, they are hotter and heavier than hikers and in river bottom sloughs, they aren't as waterproof as traditional knee boots, and definitely get wet and stay wet if you have to cross knee or thigh deep water. So for me, there is no one-sizes-fits option for turkey footwear.

Newt

My wife says I am worse than a woman when it comes to boots lol I ve had a lot and still have quiet a few pair but 90% of the time I wear first lite merino wool socks always and a pair of danner grouse with the bob sole accompanied by turtle skin snake gaiters which I love. The other 10% it's rubber muck boots

TheLBLman

In part because many my haunts have a good population of both big cottonmouths and rattlesnakes, along with a good bit of water, my "go-to" turkey hunting boot is the Irish Setter VaprTrek Snake Boot.

My current pair is my 4th pair of Irish Setter snake boots.
I've been pleased over the years with their light weight and comfort.

I've ripped up rubber & neoprene boots too many times turkey hunting, so for me, I need something more durable to push thru the briars & brush.

JCDEERMAN

In part because many my haunts have a good population of both big cottonmouths and rattlesnakes, along with a good bit of water, my "go-to" turkey hunting boot is the Irish Setter VaprTrek Snake Boot.

My current pair is my 4th pair of Irish Setter snake boots.
I've been pleased over the years with their light weight and comfort.

I've ripped up rubber & neoprene boots too many times turkey hunting, so for me, I need something more durable to push thru the briars & brush.
I've been looking at these. I need a good snake boot that's lightweight. Typically, when I put on really high boots, I feel like I can't maneuver my ankles and walk the way I want to. Sounds like I just need to bite the bullet. I have a pair of the VaprTrek cold weather hunting boots and really like them and how lightweight they are.

hbg1

OP - describe the water you cross; small shallow streams in the mountains or deep sloughs in river bottoms. Have you considered First Lite or Kennetrek gaiters for wet grass and small streams? My buds out West rave about them, but I do not own a pair......yet.
All types, marshy wetlands, small streams, but mostly soaking wet grass in pastureland. The wet grass will almost penetrate any "waterproof" boot.

Setterman

I've worn every single snake boot offered. All suck after a little wear with regards to waterproofness. The Irish setters being hands down the worst.

where I hunt is incredibly snake ridden, like see a dozen or more venomous snakes each season snakey. So I continue to search for a waterproof snake boot. This year I'm trying the Danner Vital boots, time will tell.

Where do you hunt? Steep, flat, etc?

hbg1

Steep
I've worn every single snake boot offered. All suck after a little wear with regards to waterproofness. The Irish setters being hands down the worst.

where I hunt is incredibly snake ridden, like see a dozen or more venomous snakes each season snakey. So I continue to search for a waterproof snake boot. This year I'm trying the Danner Vital boots, time will tell.

Where do you hunt? Steep, flat, etc?
I hunt in all terrains, being 51 years old I sure prefer flat but if he's gobbling I'll swim the river

Spurhunter

I wore Lacrosse Grange for years and years, but we noticed the new Chinese made ones don't last long at all. I bought some Irish Setter Rutmasters a couple years ago and I've been well pleased. Probably a little heavy but super comfortable and waterproof.

Coker

Danner Pronghorn snake boot. On my second pair. The first pair sprung a leak after year 3 and Gortex replaced them. They are very comfortable and super easy to break in. I have tried everything and this is what I currently recommend. Expensive but worth it.

Latest posts