Turkey hunting leases

Wooden Arrow

These days it would be hard to imagine getting that much land for $200. Just the liability alone is worth more than that.
a friend and i were the only folks on over 800 acres in Hawkins Co. for over twenty years, and all it cost us was fixing fences, running cows back into the pastures, and keeping trespassers off as best we could. those days of getting permission are largely (not completely) gone. :( many years, we got 4 or 5 birds between us, in addition to the deer.

fairchaser

That's about 1 bird killed per 900 acres of habitat.
Low as that is, it's in the ballpark of most TN private lands,
and a little better than many TN public lands.

In 2023 Spring Turkey, LBL killed 48 turkeys on about 60,000 acres (TN portion).
That's about 1 bird per 1,250 acres.
Pathetic, but still comparable to surrounding area.

The "good ole days" of turkey hunting in most of TN have been long past now for several years. For quail, even longer. In Stewart County, I think the last time I heard or saw "Bob White" was about 3 yrs ago. I hear there's still a remnant population, but they must no longer beautifully whistle like they once did, nor do they run along side or get seen crossing the gravel roads.

How's the quail population doing now at Ames?
I've always had this fear that, as go the quail, so will the turkey.
Ames is regularly planting quail for the National Field trials held annually so hearing and seeing quail is a regular occurrence. But, I don't imagine very many survive year to year in spite of their best efforts to create brood cover. I've personally witnessed hawks killing them on several occasions. IMO hawks are the primary killer of adult birds. Nest raiders kill the rest. I don't think coyotes kill that many adult quail but they get plenty of fawns. It is cool to hear them whistling and flushing them just like the old days when I was a kid.

Gravey

These days it would be hard to imagine getting that much land for $200. Just the liability alone is worth more than that.
For clarification it was a lease with members that deer and turkey hunted. They paid considerably more and I only went a few times each year chasing turkeys.

Spurhunter

I love turkey hunting more than any other sport. I'd pay absolute premium for a good spot.
I'd also rather deal with less birds and no other hunters over good population and a bunch of jack asses.

When I turkey hunt. I want to be left alone as much as possible.
Same here. I can't enjoy myself when I have to constantly worry about another hunter moving in and boogering a bird I'm on. I'm plenty good at boogering them myself. I don't need any help.

th88

I pay $820 for turkey hunting only. Once the dues hit $1,000 (probably 3-4 more years), i'm out. I can kill several more birds out of state with that $1000. It'll actually just extend my season around home as I'll be forced to hunt public, no big deal. Saddens me to see the price put on turkey now days. We had a good thing going before turkey hunting became cool!

Livin2hunt

No, I dont lease just for a specific hunt season. All of our leases over multiple states are year round allowing full access to all hunting. Some of my leases are year round hunting for what im seeing on here for a turkey season. Had no idea. Most of the guys I hunt with don't turkey hunt so 2 of us have rule of the roost for turkey hunting and on other properties its just me.

I like less people also on a property I'm turkey hunting. With large groups you are dealing with different schedules which means that property is getting hammered day in day out. This shuts birds up pretty quick and can push to other properties IMO.

timberjack86

Think about it. You have $15,000 in the bank account you've saved for 10 years since dropping your turkey only lease. You could very easily travel to public land in states you've never hunted hunting different subspecies. If public land ain't your thing you could still do a few guided hunts in places you've never been.

fairchaser

Think about it. You have $15,000 in the bank account you've saved for 10 years since dropping your turkey only lease. You could very easily travel to public land in states you've never hunted hunting different subspecies. If public land ain't your thing you could still do a few guided hunts in places you've never been.
I'm too old now but I went through this internal debate back in 2010 when I first joined Ames. I've been on 7 guided hunts in my lifetime and been on many out of state DIY hunts as well. One does not substitute one for the other. A guided hunt will not scratch the itch for missing an entire season. Not only that but your skills are honed at home. Killing a bird under a guide is not the same. DIY hunts can be satisfying but they require other people and are hard to organize every year. Do all the above if you can afford it.

timberjack86

I'm too old now but I went through this internal debate back in 2010 when I first joined Ames. I've been on 7 guided hunts in my lifetime and been on many out of state DIY hunts as well. One does not substitute one for the other. A guided hunt will not scratch the itch for missing an entire season. Not only that but your skills are honed at home. Killing a bird under a guide is not the same. DIY hunts can be satisfying but they require other people and are hard to organize every year. Do all the above if you can afford it.
How does a DIY hunt require other people? Most info can be found online, maps, places to stay, state harvest logs. I've made a few trips by myself and it was a blast!

Kelljp

Time, that's the difference. I've used outfitters services and diy out of state. If your on your own you better have a flexible schedule. It normally takes me a couple of days of boots on the ground to find game and understand the land layout I'm hunting.

Spurhunter

Hunting the entire season for 10 years verses going on a few guided hunts in other states is a no brainer for me. Sure, if the goal is to kill a few turkeys, your way would work. But, if you actually enjoy the hunts, the time outdoors, having 16000 acres to roam on, etc. the $1500 lease is the way to go.

Kelljp

saw a listing on FB this weekend for $2000 for 160 acres of 3y/o clear cut in MS for turkey only rights. No way they will get close to that, but still... sheesh!
Unfortunately, there are those that will pay it.
100 acre wood lot that is sandwiched between the two farms I turkey hunt got leased out after the new owner (land speculator) logged it. None are local hunters . Owner has rental cabins 5 minutes away.
Now on any given day during the season there are at least two trucks there. They are benefiting from all the efforts (food plots) we have done over the years to hold birds.

Latest posts