Turkey hunting leases

AT Hiker

I guess I've killed enough TN turkeys to be satisfied because I cannot fathom paying $1,500 to hunt/kill two TN turkeys.

However, I can see where people start making the justification. You start spending a lot money on hotels and fuel to travel to a "free" place to hunt and it can add up. Especially if the place isn't good hunting.

It tends to happen to me some. However, it's part of my adventure when I set out. Turkey camp, exploring a new area, etc is all part of it. Sometimes its armed woods walking, sometimes its a scouting trip and every once in a while its a turkey hunt.

I just can't sit still really. Even if I had the funds to have a nice lease, I'd get bored with it and end up hunting elsewhere too.

I'm like a woman, I can't make my mind up…

Last edited:

megalomaniac

I just can't sit still really. Even if I had the funds to have a nice lease, I'd get bored with it and end up hunting elsewhere too.

I'm like a woman, I can't make my mind up…
I'm like that with all other sorts of hunting... LOVE to head west in the fall. Don't even care if I don't tag an animal.

But when it comes to turkeys, it's 100% about the bird to me. Interacting, outsmarted, being outsmarted, etc. I really don't give a rip about where I hunt it or what subspecies I'm after. All I care about is being in the game with a gobbling turkey. Been hunting them since 1987 and obsessed ever since. 30 to 40 days afield each spring, yet only halfway to a 'grand slam'... because I just don't give a rip about that. I just want to hunt turkeys. Been out west once late May to extend my season. Been to Florida once to open my season early.

Now that MS opens Mar 15th, and TN closes May 28/29, I'll probably never hunt another state. No need to. 10 weeks of pure bliss in just 2 states. I feel zero desire to tag out ASAP in one state and jump all around trying to kill a limit in other states. I'll always have a tag left in my pocket the last weekend of the season in the states I hunt, even if it means I pass up a bunch of easy kill shots between opening weekend and closing weekend. But even if I'm not on a mission to kill, I'm still gonna hunt the piss out of them wherever I find them.

And even though I have access to almost 500,000 acres of public within 1.5 hours of my doorstep in south MS, I'm still happy to pay for a lease 15 min away I can squeeze a 30 min roost hunt in before work, or to hunt on weekends. Saving the public for weekday vacation days or rainy weekends when I have it to myself.

Last edited:

kaizen leader

I'm like that with all other sorts of hunting... LOVE to head west in the fall. Don't even care if I don't tag an animal.

But when it comes to turkeys, it's 100% about the bird to me. Interacting, outsmarted, being outsmarted, etc. I really don't give a rip about where I hunt it or what subspecies I'm after. All I care about is being in the game with a gobbling turkey. Been hunting them since 1987 and obsessed ever since. 30 to 40 days afield each spring, yet only halfway to a 'grand slam'... because I just don't give a rip about that. I just want to hunt turkeys. Been out west once late May to extend my season. Been to Florida once to open my season early.

Now that MS opens Mar 15th, and TN closes May 28/29, I'll probably never hunt another state. No need to. 10 weeks of pure bliss in just 2 states. I feel zero desire to tag out ASAP in one state and jump all around trying to kill a limit in other states. I'll always have a tag left in my pocket the last weekend of the season in the states I hunt, even if it means I pass up a bunch of easy kill shots between opening weekend and closing weekend. But even if I'm not on a mission to kill, I'm still gonna hunt the piss out of them wherever I find them.

And even though I have access to almost 500,000 acres of public within 1.5 hours of my doorstep in south MS, I'm still happy to pay for a lease 15 min away I can squeeze a 30 min roost hunt in before work, or to hunt on weekends. Saving the public for weekday vacation days or rainy weekends when I have it to myself.
You have got to be so Nile. 👍😂

Latest posts