Turkey hunting boots

Andy S.

Is the wax just for leather boots?
Kenetrek waterproofing boot wax is designed for leather boots.

Bgoodman30

getImage.jpg

If they only still made these... Best boots ever..

Bgoodman30

I run a pair Kenetrek Hardscrabbles with Kuiu Yukon gaiters. I know this is a super expensive combo but I have never been so happy and confident in my set up. I am not a fan of tall boots and never can find a pair of rubber boots to fit my flat narrow foot. This combo is great for tall wet grass and crossing creeks. I don't recommend it if you are gonna wade water but I've never had my feet get wet with this combo in my style of hunting in East Tennessee. I also do not encounter swamps like you west Tennessee guys. My wife has Kenetrek gaiters and she loves them. If you watch, Kenetrek will run a deal where you get a pair of gaiters free with a purchase of boots. I mean after $400 they should always give you a pair lol.

Heard from a hardcore sheep hunter that these are the best.

Bgoodman30

For about 10 yrs I wrote a pair of Cabela's boots that were solid camo canvas goretex boots. Very light weight with a vibran sole with low lugs (wouldn't hold mud) great fit with cushy innersoles. Could walk for days in them. Seems like they were advertised as turkey stalkers. Used them only for turkey hunting & occasional pheasant hunt in SD. Just fabulous boots. Never saw them in their catalog a couple of yrs after purchase. Last season the soles finally gave up & I just purchased some Danner Alsea boots in Mossy Oak camo, very light weight, 8"goretex, seem comfortable. Seem like well made boots - we'll see.
Still have mine!

TN Larry

Irish Setter VaprTrek Snake Boots is what I wear as well. I do a lot of walking in the hills and hollows, and they've held up well. They're not the greatest for water proof but do pretty good after being treated.

cowhunter71

Never owned a pair of hiking boots till I moved up here. Mainly hunted a pair of high top Converse in The Swamp, and my pull on Redwing Ropers anywhere it might have been dry. Lacrosse Rubbers on wet or damp mornings here then switching out to my Danner Pronghorns otherwise. Y'all ain't figured out yet that the only thing 100% waterproof is rubber. As for snakes, never worried too much about them.

hbg1

Never owned a pair of hiking boots till I moved up here. Mainly hunted a pair of high top Converse in The Swamp, and my pull on Redwing Ropers anywhere it might have been dry. Lacrosse Rubbers on wet or damp mornings here then switching out to my Danner Pronghorns otherwise. Y'all ain't figured out yet that the only thing 100% waterproof is rubber. As for snakes, never worried too much about them.
I disagree, anything with goretex liner is usually waterproof for at least a couple of seasons. I am sure there are comparable liners but I've actually had goretex lined boots stay waterproof for years

PickettSFHunter

I like to wear Danner Pronghorns uninsulated when not worried about snakes. I like to wear Danner Pronghorn snake boots otherwise. Something about the design of the pronghorn sole is just right for my foot. I just spent 3 days trudging through South Georgia swamps after hogs and came out dry except for the one time I went over the tops of the snake boots 😂 I do treat these with wax regularly. This is the look when you go over the tops.

Attachments

• 06F492B1-90AA-4DA0-BF19-2EF22235247D.jpeg
    06F492B1-90AA-4DA0-BF19-2EF22235247D.jpeg
    1,019.8 KB · Views: 99

Setterman

Just got a pair of Danner vital snake boots, fingers crossed they last a season but not holding my breath. They're ugly as sin, but after two trips the mud will cover the hideousness lol

hbg1

I went with the Irish setter based on my needs and the advice from here and others. Should nylon boots be treated with a waterproofing agent of some type?

Setterman

So the danners I bought are complete garbage. Poorly made and laughably painful to walk in.

for the first time I'm dumping the snake boots. I've ordered a pair of Crispi boots and may pair those with a set of snake gaiters.

I can't do the snake boot thing anymore, the quality is flat out awful

Bgoodman30

So the danners I bought are complete garbage. Poorly made and laughably painful to walk in.

for the first time I'm dumping the snake boots. I've ordered a pair of Crispi boots and may pair those with a set of snake gaiters.

Better get to moving with those Crispis.. They are definitely rigid and well made which I have come to learn means a heck of a long break in period..

REN

LOVE crispi boots. I want to get another pair at some point. I'm a boot gaiter guy personally. Found the lighter weight of hiking boots and reduced foot heat was perfect for me

Setterman

LOVE crispi boots. I want to get another pair at some point. I'm a boot gaiter guy personally. Found the lighter weight of hiking boots and reduced foot heat was perfect for me
Good to hear, and yes the snake boots roasted my feet. I'm excited to try this approach

Latest posts