Things That Might Make You Reconsider Deer Hunting With a .223

Bambi Buster

1644719299200.png

Rakkin6

Would never do it. Seen to many little brown men take multiple shots with a 5.56 and just keep coming. And a head shot to me is just to small a target and unethical with little room for error. If you are off you just blow their jaw up and they suffer. In MY opinion the .223 shouldn't be legal for deer. .243 should be the minimum. The recoil is manageable for even small children and older people. Heck my grandmother shoots my 25-06 every now and then.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rancocas

Would never do it. Seen to many little brown men take multiple shots with a 5.56 and just keep coming. And a head shot to me is just to small a target and unethical with little room for error. If you are off you just blow their jaw up and they suffer. In MY opinion the .223 shouldn't be legal for deer. .243 should be the minimum. The recoil is manageable for even small children and older people. Heck my grandmother shoots my 25-06 everyone and then.
^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^

younggun308

2-Step Enabled
Would never do it. Seen to many little brown men take multiple shots with a 5.56 and just keep coming. And a head shot to me is just to small a target and unethical with little room for error. If you are off you just blow their jaw up and they suffer. In MY opinion the .223 shouldn't be legal for deer. .243 should be the minimum. The recoil is manageable for even small children and older people. Heck my grandmother shoots my 25-06 everyone and then.

If soft-point and hollow-point bullets weren't against the Geneva Convention, don't you think the results on people would have been different?

Rockhound

To each their own if it's legal I am not going to judge. There are just so many better options out there. I mean I could kill a moose with a .270 but I am not going to. Minimum would be a 30-06 but that's just me. Why go for the minimum and take chances.
Can you explain why a 30-06 would be a better moose round than 270? I'm interested.

Rakkin6

Honestly I said the minimum, I don't own a 30-06 I have a .300 Win Mag. I just said for the minimum for me that is what I would take. I would take my .300 Mag with 220 grain rounds. And has far has 30-06 over a .270 the fact that you can shoot a .30 caliber bullet which has a larger sectional density along with a heavier bullet at greater speeds creating more ft/lbs of energy, kinetic energy and joules. Momentum knocks them down and KE kills.

Latest posts