Hunting items that you sorta can’t believe you purchased??

BigCityBubba

I was thinking the other day about a trail timer that I once saw for sale at Walmart. It was a retractable string that you strung across a trail. It was only good for a single "trip" so there was really no way for it to be valuable for deer use. Always wanted one but never bought it as a young kid.
I did however convince my mother to buy me the tree lounge. 'Twas the heaviest, loudest stand I ever strapped to my back or attempted to hang on a tree in the dark.
My brother bought a used tree lounge from a friend. I can remember hearing him several valleys over walking in. Ca-Clang Ca-Clang Ca-Clang.

When I heard they came out with a ladder stand I really wanted one but they went out of business shortly there after

Antler Daddy

Cover scents. All of them. I used to hunt a farm with multiple big groves of cedars, so I used the cedar cover scent most often.

Doe-in-heat scents. I don't know what that stuff was, but it wasn't deer pee. It smelled awful.

Deer sucker. Someone gave me one, so I tried it. Had a doe group with a yearling buck tagging along, and when that yearling smelled the sucker, he came over, grabbed it in his mouth, yanked the whole thing out of the ground and ran off with it, the doe group hot on his tail. For 200 yards I could hear that buck running through the underbrush with the sucker's stick clickity-clacking against every limb. It worked but...

As an addendum, in the category of "Best product other hunters think is a waste of money:" Scent-reducing soaps. They are the bomb, and truly help if you have scent-jumpy deer. The deer can still smell you but they will assume you are much farther away than you really are.
laundry soap or body soap?

It probably wouldn't help me....I rarely wash my hunting clothes and just wear regular antiperspirants anymore....daughter always has residual perfume smell on something. We basically just gave up and just hunt the wind.

BSK

laundry soap or body soap?

It probably wouldn't help me....I rarely wash my hunting clothes and just wear regular antiperspirants anymore....daughter always has residual perfume smell on something. We basically just gave up and just hunt the wind.
I use both the laundry soap and body/hair wash (green liquid soap). All clothes air-dried and then stored in airtight containers. Inner layers get rewashed after every hunt.

woodswise

I was sold on the skunk scent that came in two parts and didn't smell until they were combined. It made a lot of sense as it would over power any human scent ...well until you made the trip back home and got the stuff on you. Geeze I would about throw up all the way home!

Ski

A friend of mine actually won a device that was spoiled with thread, and connected to the nock of an arrow. The idea was that you could follow the thread to find your game…
He said he shot at a deer and the arrow got about half way there when the thread got caught- and turned the arrow towards the ground.

Idk- I'm more of a KISS kinda guy myself.

You must be really ugly if you can kiss them to death!

BigAl

Jar of peanunt butter? We had a guy on our lease that would do the method of cutting the bottom off, screwing the top to a tree and then putting the jar back on the top. I wish we had cameras back then.

I bought some of the aerosal tinks 69. I used it to put out a little scent and also to help check the wind. I've got a long story I'll share one day where I took a direct hit to the face.

Antler Daddy

I have one and they do work. It probably made a bunch of money and they still sell them.

What works much better is watching a good video how to just cut around the anus and then field dress it properly.

Can you imagine some sicko in prison getting ahold of that thing and then ripping some poor guys arse out?

Omega

I have one and they do work. It probably made a bunch of money and they still sell them.

What works much better is watching a good video how to just cut around the anus and then field dress it properly.

Can you imagine some sicko in prison getting ahold of that thing and then ripping some poor guys arse out?
We should issue them out to them for the child molesters.

Latest posts