Do you believe this ? (Mountain Lion)

TheLBLman

I suspect most of the wild origin cougars that have been sighted in TN may have originated from the Dakotas. The main reason they've been seen only once or twice is because they were on the move, just looking for a female cougar. Actually, I suspect most of these are not seen at all by any human, nor do they walk in front of a trail cam. One could easily travel from Kentucky, thru Tennessee, and into Alabama inside a week's time.

Not finding a female, they remain "on the move", eventually just dying from starvation or natural causes, remains quickly taken care of by scavengers. Unless hit by a car, most near death would likely die in a thick cut-over or some place the remains might never be seen by a human, nor suspected to be a cougar. Keep in mind these are young males, relatively poor hunters, and very much akin to a rutting buck. They just have a much, much larger range.

Even an authentic sighting, even a trail cam pic, does not confirm origin. Many authentic sightings (in TN) have been of escaped (or simply released) captive cougars. NONE of the black ones have been cougars. It is possible a black leopard, jaguar, etc. escaped captivity (and was legitimately seen), but the black cougar is a myth.

Black Titan

That's why when traipsing around in the woods you should always have a gun capable of killing whatever is in the area that can kill you and eat you. Prior to yesterday for me, I didn't need anything larger than a rimfire. Today seeing that a large bear was hit on 231 in Shelbyville, that changed to an AR-10. 🤣

I'd prefer a 50bmg for that bear, please. That was a big SOB. 🤣 :oops:

I wish we could carry everywhere in the woods. My last two draw hunts, pistols were off limits. Norris watershed, because it's TVA property bans pistols, and then the Oak Ridge draw hunt is DOE property so also no pistols allowed. So all I had in the event something happened was a big ole knife and my bow, but no arrow nocked while walking of course.

BT

Cherokee

That's why when traipsing around in the woods you should always have a gun capable of killing whatever is in the area that can kill you and eat you. Prior to yesterday for me, I didn't need anything larger than a rimfire. Today seeing that a large bear was hit on 231 in Shelbyville, that changed to an AR-10. 🤣
That is why I tote a 10mm with hard cast bullets any time I'm out. Lots of bears around here, and a mountain Lion would not surprise me.

TheLBLman

That is why I tote a 10mm with hard cast bullets any time I'm out. Lots of bears around here, and a mountain Lion would not surprise me.
At some point, practicality rules the day.
Sure, a larger handgun is more potent, but also more cumbersome & heavier to carry.

I feel perfectly adequately gunned with a .38 special or a 9mm,
even though if in an area known to have a higher density of bear & pigs,
may opt for a .357 magnum with a 4-inch barrel.

All for defense; no desire to hunt any big game with any handgun.

Sasquatch Boogie Outdoors

Attachments

• IMG_6136.jpeg
    IMG_6136.jpeg
    205.8 KB · Views: 37

UTGrad

In TN, your biggest physical threat comes from neither bears nor cougars.
Beware of people you may or may not see on your outings.
And now, even lots of illegal aliens living on the land.
Maybe winter will push many of them further south into Alabama?

A crack head is a scary thing in the dark. There are few people high on dope running around the woods without sleep.

agelessssone

I'd prefer a 50bmg for that bear, please. That was a big SOB. 🤣 :oops:

I wish we could carry everywhere in the woods. My last two draw hunts, pistols were off limits. Norris watershed, because it's TVA property bans pistols, and then the Oak Ridge draw hunt is DOE property so also no pistols allowed. So all I had in the event something happened was a big ole knife and my bow, but no arrow nocked while walking of course.

BT
Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6!