Hunting items that you sorta can’t believe you purchased??

Bushape

I was thinking the other day about a trail timer that I once saw for sale at Walmart. It was a retractable string that you strung across a trail. It was only good for a single "trip" so there was really no way for it to be valuable for deer use. Always wanted one but never bought it as a young kid.
I did however convince my mother to buy me the tree lounge. 'Twas the heaviest, loudest stand I ever strapped to my back or attempted to hang on a tree in the dark.

Rabbitkil

I was thinking the other day about a trail timer that I once saw for sale at Walmart. It was a retractable string that you strung across a trail. It was only good for a single "trip" so there was really no way for it to be valuable for deer use. Always wanted one but never bought it as a young kid.
I did however convince my mother to buy me the tree lounge. 'Twas the heaviest, loudest stand I ever strapped to my back or attempted to hang on a tree in the dark.
Can't beat a tree lounge for comfort once it was installed

Hunting license is something I shouldn't have ever wasted money on, the one time I bumped into a warden it was in my front yard and I had to go to court anyways … growing up I was made to believe I'd bump into constantly hunting

Laserman1

Hunting license is something I shouldn't have ever wasted money on, the one time I bumped into a warden it was in my front yard and I had to go to court anyways … growing up I was made to believe I'd bump into constantly hunting
Tree lounge. "So comfortable you can sleep in it". Yea because it's so heavy when you get to your spot your so tired all you want to to do is sleep. Never realized ol Margaret had a crew setting hers up for her.

JCDEERMAN

I actually used a couple trail timers way back when cameras weren't even a thought. In those days, that's about all you could go off of. Set it up over a trail that was worn down to the dirt. I actually found a brand new trail timer in storage this past summer that had never been used. Now you get pics instantly right to your phone 🤣.

Here's mine- In my younger years, I used all the scent attractors in the little bottles (sweet acorn, apple, I think persimmon). I had a lot of deer follow my tracks in right to my tree, smell the side of a tree I put stuff on. BUT I never killed any older deer. All young. I quit trying to smell all the woods up around me like cold turkey (due to knowledge of many on this forum years ago) and that's been the best decision I ever made.

DMD

Loved my tree lounge. Hauled it many miles around the woods. I didn't mind the weight, it was the time consuming set up that finally got me to try a summit. Used the summit once, went home and sold two completely decked out tree lounges immediately and never looked back. But, they will always hold a special place in my heart. 😊

Bushape

I have a friend from Alabama who hunts in Tennessee and hasn't bought a license in 4 years. I reckon he figures he's playing with house money now if he does get caught.

Bushape

I agree cover scents.....are great.....but who washes their towels and wash cloths into laundry with them? I am not saying that you didn't but I always marvel about hunters using DDW soap and shampoo, to only dry off with a Downy laced towel.
I'll admit I do. Had a buddy moving so I gave them $50 for their washer and dryer and put them in my basement. Wash a towel and wash cloth with my clothes every fall. I know you can't fool a deer's nose but it's better than smelling like a rose bouquet.

bowtechgump

I'll admit I do. Had a buddy moving so I gave them $50 for their washer and dryer and put them in my basement. Wash a towel and wash cloth with my clothes every fall. I know you can't fool a deer's nose but it's better than smelling like a rose bouquet.
Do you honestly know how many people go through every single individual step.....but stop and get gas or breakfast.....then scream about scent control? I have always put my hunting clothes outside (before bow season and take them off and hang until Christmas there)on the porch to "air out"....gets cold on many mornings. But towels and wash cloths are washed in DDW. We spend so much time and money only to forget that the simple fact is....we didn't actually do anything. I am lucky and don't have to get in my vehicle to hunt.....but who sprayed their interior with scent elimator (whatever kind) before getting in?

FLTENNHUNTER1

1704677917511.png

DMD

I use gain or whatever is around home. Don't spray. Don't worry about scent at all. Exactly like Carlos said..if they can smell your clothes, they can smell you.

Last edited:

WTNBowHunter

When I was a kid we would get the bass pro magazines at the house and I would take the envelope that came inside, spend a few weeks scraping up the spare change I found around the house, and buy the coolest looking broadhead they had in the magazine hoping it would just kill the deer for me. Never could figure out why a gut shot deer would run into a cutover instead of dying right away knowing it was just shot with the coolest broadhead in the bass pro catalog. Needless to say it didnt take me long to figure out shot placement was what mattered. The mind of a 12 year old 😂.

Carlos

A friend of mine actually won a device that was spoiled with thread, and connected to the nock of an arrow. The idea was that you could follow the thread to find your game…
He said he shot at a deer and the arrow got about half way there when the thread got caught- and turned the arrow towards the ground.

Idk- I'm more of a KISS kinda guy myself.