Deer docility (is that a word?)

Bushape

I see in various hunting shows titles that boast "we stalked within 15 yards…." or videos where hunters are able to get within archery distance of bedded bucks. I know with so many people putting out videos you are bound to see some impressive and crazy hunts, and yes with a host of factors in your favor your chances increase, but is there any connection to the regions some of these guys are hunting in lending itself to more docile deer? I just can't imagine ever stalking a buck with my bow in middle Tennessee.

Omega

I used to do it quite often at Ft Bragg, they have sandy firebreaks all over the place and you could walk pretty quietly. I would walk a bit, stop, look and listen for them, many times I could get withing bow range. It would be pretty hard here since there are so many leaves, but it can be done, probably not on the mature ones (your target buck) that have learned to pay attention, but it can be done.

Urban_Hunter

You get some wind blowing in your face and some damp ground you can walk right in there on them. I think what you see online is that these guys do just that 20, 30, 50, 100 times before achieving success. They're on public land and if they blow up the spot they just move on to the next. They can try a dozen of spots a day

huvrman

I lived and hunted in MS for decades, and now have hunted in TN for the last 10 years, with an occasional trip back to MS. I can tell you the deer in MS are much more wary than in TN, largely in part because that state allows running them with dogs. I've never tried stalking up to a bedded deer, but can saw MS deer are about as skittish as turkeys, and pick up on the slightest of movements.

casjoker

I have regularly "still" hunted deer to a distance of 20-30 yards. The problem for me was not getting busted when drawing. The conditions need to be almost perfect: maybe a light rain or just after a rain, minimal wind, in your face. Snow storms back in Maine were the best for me. Move slow (3-5 steps, then scan for 10 minutes or so), keep a big tree between you and where you are heading and the wind in your face, or quarter too.

Latest posts