Talk me out of a 20 gauge

TITANSFAN2104

2-Step Enabled
I was really disappointed using the 20g and #1 lead buck shot for coyotes calling in the evenings since I cannot use a rifle right now during turkey season. I much prefer the 3.5in 10g for that application.
YOU CAN use a rifle during turkey season for coyote hunting.
Page 8 , article 9
It is a common misconception and has been for several years that while coyote hunting you have to use the weapon for that season as well as be licensed for that weapon. While it is true for deer, bear and elk seasons it doesnt mention turkey hunting and never has .

We also had meetings with some wardens a few years ago that verified this along with the fact you couldnt use weapons other than what was allowed for those seasons (deer bear and elk) while hunting furbearers (also have to be licensed as a big game hunter to use those weapons while hunting furbearers during archery or muzzleloader)

So in other words whenever any deer ,bear or elk season is open, you are only allowed to used whichever weapon is allowed for that season and you also have to be licensed to hunt with that weapon. So If coyote hunting in December during rifle/archery/ML then you have to wear orange and carry the license of the weapon you choose. You cant hunt with a rifle at all during a ML/archery elk,bear or deer season!!!

If you look at the chart on page 6 of the hunting guide you will see that centerfire rifles are allowed for crows and furbearers with the notations of 1 and 5.
#1 which points to article 9 that i have posted here and specifies deer,elk and bear.
and #5 which points out the requirements for centerfire rifles during the 30 minutes at sunrise and sunset

Here is the article referring to my post
9. During an archery only or muzzleloader/ archery only deer, bear or elk season, furbearers may not be taken with rifles and handguns using centerfire ammunition. During the gun/ muzzleloader/archery seasons, furbearers may be taken by legal big game hunters licensed for the weapon they are using.

There is no mention of turkey season or shotgun/rimfire only.
Unless something has changed that I'm not aware of.

Last edited:

Tyler Durdin

Unless you find the 935 cumbersome to the point it's no longer enjoyable, then I'd just keep on trucking. The grass is not always greener, and I'd bet your 20 gauge curiosity has been brought on by the very effective TSS marketing machine.

After being on the turkey web, I have to wash myself of all the consumerism that is constantly being messaged. If you want it then buy it. My mindset is what benefit and/or capability is it bringing me that I dont already have. I currently kill them with an old Winchester Ranger 120 and have been since my teens. Getting a 20 means new expensive ammunition, choke system and other bells and whistles. Sure it will a scratch an itch, but what are you getting at the end of the day?

Just my way of thinking. Good luck with your decision.

Coker

Unless you find the 935 cumbersome to the point it's no longer enjoyable, then I'd just keep on trucking. The grass is not always greener, and I'd bet your 20 gauge curiosity has been brought on by the very effective TSS marketing machine.

After being on the turkey web, I have to wash myself of all the consumerism that is constantly being messaged. If you want it then buy it. My mindset is what benefit and/or capability is it bringing me that I dont already have. I currently kill them with an old Winchester Ranger 120 and have been since my teens. Getting a 20 means new expensive ammunition, choke system and other bells and whistles. Sure it will a scratch an itch, but what are you getting at the end of the day?

SPOT ON!!!!
The only benefit that a 20 may bring is less weight/recoil. If the weight/recoil of a 12 doesn't bother you, continue on.
I outfitted my daughter with a 870 youth model 20 gauge 3 years ago using TSS. I must say, I use it now as my go to gun. Simply because, it is lighter than my 12........ and less recoil.
Both the 20 and 12 are turkey killers. It all depends on personal preference.

REN

I'll be the odd man out. IMO if you are going to get a little 301 and drop a lot of weight, do it. But if you are going to buy a semi-auto and end up dropping less than 2 pounds, why spend the money? Disclaimer: I haven't done an in depth weight comparison in a while.

I have a sbe2 and an M2 20. Both are on the lighter side for their perspective gauges. You would be very surprised with the felt weight difference after toting each around all day even at 2lbs. Sure I could carry the 12 with no issue but after years of the 20 I just prefer not to

david k.

I have a 935 but converted my sons 870 youth 20 gauge this year…I added a good choke, drilled and tapped the receiver and added an FF3 on a SumToy mount and ordered a few boxes of Apex 3" 9 shot and it is super sweet.

Attachments

• IMG_1881.jpeg
    IMG_1881.jpeg
    392.7 KB · Views: 41

Maude

I was in an Academy store in Jackson TN several years ago looking at a handgun they had a good price on. After smoking it over for a few minutes, I commented to the salesman who was about my age, that I really didn't need the handgun. He looked over at me and I'll never forget what he said. He said, "Buddy, there's nothing in this store you NEED." He was exactly right and a vast majority of the stuff in my safe are items I really didn't need. That hasn't stopped me from getting more.

BTW: I swapped over to a 20ga a few years back and haven't regretted it. That TSS is bad medicine on a turkey.

Roadracer6

If anybody has a new A5 in a 12 or 16 gauge with 26" barrel they don't need anymore, let me know! I have multiple of both 12/20, but typically use the 20 for upland birds (o/u and pump).

Bone Collector

I have a 935 but converted my sons 870 youth 20 gauge this year…I added a good choke, drilled and tapped the receiver and added an FF3 on a SumToy mount and ordered a few boxes of Apex 3" 9 shot and it is super sweet.
I have that exact gun except it is not the youth model. I have thought of doing something with it like this for a while. However I will not be drilling and tapping anything myself 😂

TnKen

2-Step Enabled
I had a Stoeger m3020 bottom land camo in my cart today, and couldn't check out because I couldn't remember my password for the site. Maybe a sign.

mike52

I have hunted a 20 gauge 870 pump for 10 or more years. Couple years ago I bought a 410 bore Charles Daily single shot. Shoots an awesome pattern at 30 yards, and with only 1 shot you take your time and aim correctly

deerhunter10

Never had the 935 but had a 835 and you couldn't pay me enough to hunt with it ever again. I dove hunt a ton so shoot 20gauge there as well. The 835 with then magnum blends was stupid deadly but also probably close to what it feels like getting hit by Mike Tyson. Not to mention heavy. At the end of the day it's a big difference. 12 gauges have killed and will continue to kill a ton of birds. The marketing machine of tss is deadly pretty close to as deadly of their loads. A 20 gauge set up just have way decent is nuts what it'll do.

Latest posts