Talk me out of a 20 gauge

woodsman04

I've been looking at the 20s, but don't really need it as I'm happy with the 935. I've had for years. It doesn't drag me down too much and is deadly with LB #5s. I think maybe just trying to occupy my time since I'm tagged out. I'm considering the Stoeger 3020.
You wont get as good of a workout since your carrying less weight?

If a fly lands on your bead it will be a little closer to you with a shorter gun?

Easier to loose under the truck seat because it's smaller?

The shells are yellow if you don't like the color yellow.

Your toughness declines because your shoulder isn't used to getting pounded by a 3-1/2 l" 12 gauge.

Ok an honest one…. 12 gauge shells are a lot more readily available, 12 gauge lead is still deadly (20 gauge too but 20 gauge lead is an extreme step down) 12 gauges in my opinion make better all around wing shooting guns because shells have more shot in them for doves or ducks, as well as being more available.

Buy a 20 gauge. You will like it.

TN Larry

I'll try to take you out of it……..I went to a 20 in 2017 and never plan to pack a 12 again. It's lightweight and shoots as good or better than a 12 with lead when using TSS 9 shot. Less recoil has also become important to me over the past few yrs after having neck and shoulder issues, but the light and compactness is awesome as well when packing it through hills and hollows.

Here's my 20" pattern at 40 yds with an 870 compact 20. My son's shoots the same along with several on here with as good or better results. It's effective range is farther than you should be shooting at a turkey.

Hope that helps talk you out of it. :)

9B0FC025-29CB-4F5A-87A4-0D2F01818159.jpeg

BPhunter

I've been looking at the 20s, but don't really need it as I'm happy with the 935. I've had for years. It doesn't drag me down too much and is deadly with LB #5s. I think maybe just trying to occupy my time since I'm tagged out. I'm considering the Stoeger 3020.
I just love a 20ga. I use it for quail and dove, just a fun gun.....BUY IT!! 😁

cbhunter

Buncha enablers in here!! But in their defense, it's kinda like a kid asking kids to talk then outta candy

You will like the 20. While the 20 kicks much less then 12, those dang tss loads still surprise me coming out of a 20!

Rakkin6

I was in the same boat with my 12 gauges. Finally decided to go ahead and buy a 20 gauge Savage 301. Pretty cheap purchase put a red dot on it. These are the patterns I am getting with my handloads and an Indian Creek .562 choke at 40 yards. Now I am looking at getting a semi auto 20. I still carry my 12s also. Just depends on what I feel like that day.

Attachments

• 74500.jpeg
    74500.jpeg
    240 KB · Views: 68

TnKen

2-Step Enabled
You guys are no help at all 😀. Maybe I need a go fund me for my new gun. Now I'm going down the rabbit hole of loading my own tss ammo. I already have shotgun and rifle loading equipment. It's just money 💰 can't take it with you.

Rakkin6

You guys are no help at all 😀. Maybe I need a go fund me for my new gun. Now I'm going down the rabbit hole of loading my own tss ammo. I already have shotgun and rifle loading equipment. It's just money 💰 can't take it with you.
Savage 301 Turkey like I posted above is a $200 or less purchase. Throw a halfway decent red dot on there and you are good to go. Best value for the money I have spent.

Spurhunter

I'll be the odd man out. IMO if you are going to get a little 301 and drop a lot of weight, do it. But if you are going to buy a semi-auto and end up dropping less than 2 pounds, why spend the money? Disclaimer: I haven't done an in depth weight comparison in a while.

TITANSFAN2104

2-Step Enabled
I'll be the odd man out. IMO if you are going to get a little 301 and drop a lot of weight, do it. But if you are going to buy a semi-auto and end up dropping less than 2 pounds, why spend the money? Disclaimer: I haven't done an in depth weight comparison in a while.
My benelli m2 is really lightweight compared to even my remington 1187 or 870 20 gauge compacts. when talking about most 12ga remington or mossberg semi autos.... you will definitely save weight by going to a 20 autoloader.

TITANSFAN2104

2-Step Enabled
Or even go super light with a gun shooting tss that will shoot as good as any 12 gauge #4 lead shot.
A little 410 I had threaded and my #9 tss handloads at a lasered 40yds.
I sold it to a good friend of mine that his daughter begged for it. It is a definite shooter.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230426_200019_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20230426_200019_Photos.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 57
  • 20190401_141623.jpg
    20190401_141623.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 55

Union Co. Boy

I was really disappointed using the 20g and #1 lead buck shot for coyotes calling in the evenings since I cannot use a rifle right now during turkey season. I much prefer the 3.5in 10g for that application.
It would be a dedicated turkey gun. I carry a Browning Light Twenty for the majority of my small game needs when I use a shotgun. It's my favorite gun I own. I'm using a newer model Browning A5 for turkeys and waterfowl now, and it's great! I just want to step it down a bit. Admittedly, I also have a gun buying problem. 😂

Rockhound

I have one and I like it, but I have a compact 12 that weighs 7 pounds. A 20 might save 1.5# at most maybe 2# on most guns. I could easily lighten 2# in my vest.

So... yea buy one lol

Rockhound

I was really disappointed using the 20g and #1 lead buck shot for coyotes calling in the evenings since I cannot use a rifle right now during turkey season. I much prefer the 3.5in 10g for that application.
I've got some handloaded 1-3/8 oz tss #3 that turn those little 20s into some long range coyote getters

Latest posts