Squirrels

bowhunterfanatic

Had another great hunt this morning. It started really, really slow. Didn't kill my first squirrel until after 7:00, but by 8:00 I had killed 6. Started making my way back to the truck thinking if I could kill one maybe two more before I got to the truck I could ease up the road about a mile and kill the rest of my limit. As luck would have it what is typically the best spot on this entire hillside produced exactly zero squirrels or squirrel sightings. Got to my next spot and checked the two best hickories in the entire block of timber and saw zero signs of life. Started easing my way back through the little block of woods and finally found one single squirrel in a tiny little hickory. It took me a while to get a clean shot at him but I finally found a hole to squeeze it through and knocked him out. It didn't take me long to find another single in a small hickory about 75 yards away. About the time I picked him up I spooked a deer up ahead of me a good ways and heard a squirrel start barking at it. I typically don't give them any attention but since it was already so late in the morning I figured why not. I snuck up fairly close to his tree and actually spotted him pretty quick. I had to shoot him off hand but I made a good shot and down he fell. Once again, about the time I picked him up a deer started spooking up ahead and another squirrel started barking. I got close and he kept barking and barking. I finally spotted him hunkered down on a limb looking at me. He hit the ground at 9:21 and marked my first limit of the year.

This was by far the closest I've ever come to a "perfect" hunt. I only pulled the trigger 11 times this morning. Unfortunately I hit one that nearly fell out of the tree 3 times before finally making it to a fork in the tree. I never was able to get a second shot at him and after circling the tree multiple times trying to spot him in the fork I finally gave up. That little Bergara .22 continues to impress me.

Attachments

• IMG_5531.jpg
    IMG_5531.jpg
    737 KB · Views: 149

Latest posts