Not many squirrels

jmlost

The spot I hunt in Lewis county has almost zero squirrels this year. I am assuming it was from the acorn failure from last year. Really odd deer hunting this weekend in hardwoods and not seeing a single squirrel. Anyone else seen a massive reduction in numbers?

slabhead

Yep experiencing the same thing. I've only seen a couple squirrels this year compared to a few years ago when we were covered up with them.

Black Titan

I've been covered up in em on my hunts in Anderson and Roane counties. My Norris hunt on the ridge I was on, you couldn't take a step without crushing 3 acorns. It was nuts. This was in the higher elevations. We went down to a lower spot and acorns were sparse. Same area, just different elevation.

BT

C1295

Normally its nothing for me to go squirrel hunting for a couple of ours and come home with a limit... I haven't gotten a limit on them one single time this year. Acorns are everywhere this year but the population of squirrels are definitely down.

DeerCamp

I feel like every deer hunter falls into 2 camps.

"There are too many squirrels, I hate em" and "Where have all the squirrels gone?"

I have never heard a deer hunter say the number of squirrels is perfect.

wildside

I've been covered up in em on my hunts in Anderson and Roane counties. My Norris hunt on the ridge I was on, you couldn't take a step without crushing 3 acorns. It was nuts. This was in the higher elevations. We went down to a lower spot and acorns were sparse. Same area, just different elevation.

BT
no pun intended...I found the same thing while guiding elk on the North Cumberland...it was nuts! Like walking on marbles. I had 7 in one tree yesterday while deer hunting in Williamson co.

rickyk280

As I said in an earlier post you could set under a telephone poll here in Western KY, and kill a limit of squirrels. All the nut trees Hickory's, Acorns Walnut, Pecans, Black Gum, Sweet Gum, Beech plenty of food here, there will be a good crop of young squirrel's come spring.

rickyk280

Very few in Wayne Co. Actually taking my Mt Cur pup to FL after deer season to put her on a bunch. Buddy has a grove of live oaks that are loaded with them
Your Cur would have a good time here.

Attachments

• IMG_0157.JPG
    IMG_0157.JPG
    37.4 KB · Views: 23

Latest posts