Looking forward to August squirrels

Chiflyguy

I gotta do some better scouting on the land I got access to.
Guess I'll bring my dads double .410 with😉

I am. We had a mast failure on a couple places I hunt, so I'm curious to see if the squirrels return to previous year's populations, or if it's going to take them a few years to get back to 2021 levels. I've got places I can go that still have a good amount of squirrels, but my preferred places were void last year after the hickories all dropped.
In years past, especially 2007 when we had a complete mast failure due to a May hard freeze I couldn't even find a squirrel in woods that I normally kill limits in. One year later in 2008, the squirrels were back at full capacity.

mike243

Work has gotten in the way of the opener for the last few-5 years , also has impacted rifle opener, it will make me miss it for the last time this year, I am telling them I aint working my last Saturday which is opening of rifle, instead of November 21 my last day will be the 17th lol

Andy S.

Last week, I found some cutting pine trees in SW TN.

1691453404865.jpeg

1691453431430.jpeg

Andy S.

I like your confidence. I doubt I will be back at the truck cleaning 10 squirrels by 8AM. I rarely shoot the first squirrel before 6:45, so I fully expect 3 hour hunt. Regardless, I'm looking forward to it. I found some more cutting this week, surprisingly more pine and red oak. Treated clothes and vest yesterday, and will be ready to go at 5AM in the morning. If a man could hunt next week, temps and humidity look better, but I will be working, so no go for me.

bowhunterfanatic

I like your confidence. I doubt I will be back at the truck cleaning 10 squirrels by 8AM. I rarely shoot the first squirrel before 6:45, so I fully expect 3 hour hunt. Regardless, I'm looking forward to it. I found some more cutting this week, surprisingly more pine and red oak. Treated clothes and vest yesterday, and will be ready to go at 5AM in the morning. If a man could hunt next week, temps and humidity look better, but I will be working, so no go for me.
I HATE leaving the woods without 10 squirrels these days, but you're clearly more hardcore than me if you're going to stick it out past 9 a.m. in the morning. Like you I rarely kill number one before 6:45, but unless I've already got 8 or 9 I think I'll be waiving the white flag by 8:45 in the morning. When it's this hot it seems like they just totally shut down by 9 for me.

Buzzard Breath

I wouldn't call this ideal, but it's certainly tolerable. I normally walk for an hour each morning before work, so squirrel hunting will be much more enjoyable than walking around the roads of our subdivision.

Screenshot_20230825_160650_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts