Someone educate me on the remington 700's

vapor 1

I have always herd a 700 is a good reliable gun. What about all the different models? I held a vtr in my paws the other day and man did I like it. I realize vtr has something to do with varmits but I don't understand why its any different than any other 700. Educate me brothers educate me.

megalomaniac

The 700 is the best out of the box factory made gun, IMO.

The VTR is the varmit tactical rifle, basically a heavy-barreled rifle and, as a consequence, a theoretically more accurate rifle. It's in a stock that's a slight improvement (a bell and carlson, I believe) over the standard SPS.

But honestly, you'd be better off looking for the previous generation remingtons such as the VSSF or Sendero if you like the heavy barreled option. The HS stock they sit in is of much higher quality. If you like the short but heavy barreled rifle style, there is also a LTR (light tactical rifle) built with 3 heavy flutes on a 20" barrel, coated in nonreflective finish, and is in the HS stock.

If you don't care for the heavy barrel, I'd look for one of the old ADL or BDL rifles and drop them into a higher quality stock. There are more aftermarket products for the 700 platform than any other by far.

The mountain rifle was a big hit... #1 contour barrel at 22" in a slim stock. Very light weight and surprisingly accurate for such a wispy barrel.

.444 Marlin

As bobby williamson once said
Remington firearms are the best guns ever and I would gladly sell, no GIVE every savage gun I own just to have one of the most awesomest firearms ever. Team Green rules all!

IMO, remington has the best reliability, accuracy, best fitting, and best handleing rifles on the market.

Kimberman

No 700s in the house. Doubt there will ever be one. Only 1 Remmy in the house(870), doubt there will ever be another.

stik

outbackhunter2010 said:
take a 700 anyday over an overpriced junky tikka

that's hilarious. we have a savage(7mm08), ruger M77(308), model 70(270), model 700(270) and a tikka T3(30-06). in order of quality, the remi comes in last.

mr.big

I think where they get a bad rap is they are so easy to work on and do stuff to,,people that shouldnt be screwing with them make a mess and blame it on the gun..

kinda like small block Chevy`s

TiminTN

What he said. I bleed Green so this isn`t a fair question. I like the older rifles mainly because of the newer sand blasted finishes. I love how the stocks fit me, the trigger, and the accuracy. Get one you will love it.

DEER ASSASSIN said:
nothing but a remington 700

they will shoot good

more after market parts than any other action
more custom rifles built off the 700 action than all others put together

GRAMPS

R.I.P.
I have a Remington mountain rifle in .270 that I really love. The only problem I have ever had with it was when i laid it down in Wyoming while field dressing an antelope and got sand in te action. But that was my fault, not the rifles.

Tiny

You gotta get what you like and want,have two newer 700's gott'em becasue I wanted them not becasue they were or are better than anything else, infact they both had "major minor issiue with both".

A Classic the front action screw was loose and couldn't be tighted and the action work bad bedding as well.Fixed it a by bedding,could have ground or cut the screw down. A Liminted SF the Recoil PAD wasn't tightened down as it came loose on the sceond shot had to drill out the stock and fix in the field it had two threads holding it .This shouldn't have been overlloked on a any model much liminted editions. No problems with them since.

Have had minor issuies with others as well but not like the above.

I can agree with you guys on the shade tree trigger work as well as not watching were ones finger is if you know what I mean. I have been around several that went boom when they shouldn't have heard about even more I don't think it all can be related to that though.

All that said if and when I run across another 700 that meets my fancey I will likely get it if I can.

OH Boy here we go again NOT.

Tnyoteboy

DEER ASSASSIN said:
Longhunter said:
Remington has had issues for years with the 700 firing as the safety is disengaged.

it should fire with the safety dis-engaged

as far as firing with safety engaged or slam firing

most is due to people that think they know what their doing adjusting the trigger

What he is referring to is the weapon firing on it's own when the safety is disengaged. I believe that was a problem with some of their pre-1975 rifles.

Link to an article explaining it:

http://hunting.about.com/od/guns/a/aacb ... m700_2.htm

DCloudy777

With all due respect... not even close. I beleive the Mauser has the 700 beat in that regard by a country mile. Plus many of the 700-based custom guns are modified with things like claw extractors. The 700 is a fine rifle, and certain models in the current lineup represent a pretty good value, but not at the top in any price range. The pre-64 pattern Winchester and its derivatives like the current FN rifles (basically evolution of the Mauser action) represent the best the turn bolt can get, IMHO. The CZ rifles are also very nice Mauser derivatives. Savage guns are ugly and cheap, but they shoot like houses on fire.

DanO

DanO

skynimrod

DCloudy777 said:

With all due respect... not even close. I beleive the Mauser has the 700 beat in that regard by a country mile. Plus many of the 700-based custom guns are modified with things like claw extractors. The 700 is a fine rifle, and certain models in the current lineup represent a pretty good value, but not at the top in any price range. The pre-64 pattern Winchester and its derivatives like the current FN rifles (basically evolution of the Mauser action) represent the best the turn bolt can get, IMHO. The CZ rifles are also very nice Mauser derivatives. Savage guns are ugly and cheap, but they shoot like houses on fire.

DanO

DanO

X2
like my rebuilt 06 Win model of 1917 > Mauser type (Now 338-06) :grin:
workhorse's!