Model 700 issues?

Remi

Are you using a specific graphite or something like you'd pick up at the locksmith shop?

You're the second person to suggest graphite.

I'm going to pull the bolt down in the next few hours and I'll follow up. I'll probably remove the trigger assembly and run it through the ultrasonic also.

Lighter fluid on the trigger too

I think I got my graphite at Ace. I read quite a few guys run their assembly dry.

I got some new stuff that's a dry graphite spray I run on my pistols that I like most bigly.

And if it doesn't help or you're uneasy TriggerTech makes nice stuff, lol.

tacoma2002

2-Step Enabled
I do enjoy my triggertech triggers. More so than the Timneys.

So here's what I found.

Firing pin and spring were in good shape. No excess oil buildup that I could see.

I threw the trigger assembly in the ultrasonic bath with mineral spirits and it came out leaving very yellow/varnish looking coloring in the solvent.

I found the bolt stop on the safety super chewed (pics attached).

I've reassembled everything only lubing with lighter fluid.

I put the action back out to freeze and will report back in the AM.

I'm going to get a trigger assembly on the way for the fact, if nothing else, that the safety bolt stop is chewed.

Attachments

• IMG_4369.jpeg
    IMG_4369.jpeg
    199.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_4371.jpeg
    IMG_4371.jpeg
    206.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_4370.jpeg
    IMG_4370.jpeg
    220.3 KB · Views: 9

rickyk280

Id be willing to bet all it needs is a good cleaning as suggested. The oil and grease from 1970 is 53 years old.
I would be to, if no one has messed with the sear screw.

I have not owned 100's of these like you have but I have worked on 100's them in my years. Here is you another option Gentry three position safety. I have installed many of them on the older 700's that had to be on fire to un bolt. Here is a pic of one I put on mine 50yrs ago. I for one like the old triggers with a little work done to them.

Attachments

• IMG_0456.jpg
    IMG_0456.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0455.jpg
    IMG_0455.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0457.jpg
    IMG_0457.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 46

mr.big

Save the headache and buy an aftermarket trigger. Very simple change. Triggertech, timney, jewel just a couple of many options. Keep the original trigger in a ziplock so you got it if you sell it or ever want it back all original.
I'm pretty sure Jewel is out of business

tacoma2002

2-Step Enabled
Update -

I disassembled the bolt completely - no oil or grime present but I ran it through the cleaner anyway.

I inspected and unpinned the trigger assembly and ran the entire assembly through the cleaner and it left a nasty brown/yellow film in the solution. The exterior appeared clean upon removal but I noted damage to the bolt stop, but should not have caused the issue that I experienced.

I lubed firing pin assembly and trigger assembly with lighter fluid only.

I reassembled and froze the entire barreled action overnight.

This morning everything functions as intended.

I assume the trigger assembly was freezing allowing the trigger to hang and not engage the sear.

I will be replacing the trigger assembly with something else this spring.

rickyk280

They made some fine triggers. I have several
A friend of mine Larry Scott, Great Scott Shooters Products Cadiz, KY was a very big Jewell dealer the last time I picked one up from him a few months back he had a few 700's left. He said he didn't see anymore being built per his conversation with Jewell.

mr.big

A friend of mine Larry Scott, Great Scott Shooters Products Cadiz, KY was a very big Jewell dealer the last time I picked one up from him a few months back he had a few 700's left. He said he didn't see anymore being built per his conversation with Jewell.
Larry's been out of stock for a while now

rickyk280

There was a guy had 10 for sale a little while ago for 325$$ that didn't last long
I hated to see Jewel go out. I got a lot of triggers over the years from Larry, He doesn't live but 15 miles from me. I could just run over and get what I needed and visit. Did you ever shoot with Larry?

mr.big

I hated to see Jewel go out. I got a lot of triggers over the years from Larry, He doesn't live but 15 miles from me. I could just run over and get what I needed and visit. Did you ever shoot with Larry?
Yeah he shot some UBR with us,, he shot a factory 40x 308. It got where he said his health worried him being around so many people or something ,,

Latest posts