Anyone have a new Remington 700??

BigCityBubba

That's an old wives tale that's made its way around the gun forums for decades. It simply is not true.
I don't know anything about old wives tales but I own both an original 870 magnum and an 870 express. There is a reason one is half the price of the other. I also own a walmart 700, an academy sports 700, a stainless 700 sps, a 700 lss, 2 pss's, and one I built from an action I bought along with a remage barrel. I think thats all I have, I lose track. The walmart and the academy 700s do not compare to the others which is why they are half the price if not more than a non big box store 700. I bought the academy off of someone for $250 and walmart had theirs on clearance for $250. I should have bought all they had. I bought those for their actions. The rest of the parts end up in a pile. The walmart was a 243 which I converted to a 308 with a remage barrel. I have not done anything with the academy 700 which is a 3006. I am waiting for inspiration on that one. Needless to say I like 700s.

Remi

The 8 twist on the 223, 243 and 7RM are nice for the longer heavier bullets.

I have a few older Remingtons and like them. I carry on my left side if using a sling and since the safety doesn't lock the bolt Ive had the bolt open a few times on me so I don't carry Rems a ton.

Hopefully they stay successful and do well in today's market.

Rubberduck270

I don't know anything about old wives tales but I own both an original 870 magnum and an 870 express. There is a reason one is half the price of the other. I also own a walmart 700, an academy sports 700, a stainless 700 sps, a 700 lss, 2 pss's, and one I built from an action I bought along with a remage barrel. I think thats all I have, I lose track. The walmart and the academy 700s do not compare to the others which is why they are half the price if not more than a non big box store 700. I bought the academy off of someone for $250 and walmart had theirs on clearance for $250. I should have bought all they had. I bought those for their actions. The rest of the parts end up in a pile. The walmart was a 243 which I converted to a 308 with a remage barrel. I have not done anything with the academy 700 which is a 3006. I am waiting for inspiration on that one. Needless to say I like 700s.
The fit and finish is where the price cut came from. I trust a WalMart or Academy 700 action just as much as one that started life as a BDL but the finish on the BDL action makes it the more desirable action. That somewhat goes out the window if the action is going to be coated though. I have faith that they will come back to be competitive across the market in the $600+ price range and hopefully they'll leave the 783 series to compete with the more economical rifles.

BigCityBubba

On their website, it looks like all of their rifles are coming standard with 5R rifling as well as a non adjustable 3-4 lb impact 700 timney triggers. If those came out in the $600 range they would be hard to beat. The alpha and the police model come with the adjustable timney elite hunting trigger. I went out and tried to find some online I have found rem 700s but none that mention a 5r barrel and timney trigger so I am wondering if they haven't come out yet.

mr.big

That's good to hear about the BDL's high polished blue. I love polished blue and walnut. That's what I wanted but I couldn't get it in a heavy barrel.

I'm surprised to see the CDL shows "Satin Blue" on their website. I thought it was supposed to be nicer than the BDL??

The pictures on their web site looks like the bolts are polished and jeweled on both the BDL and CDL??
The cdl has always had a duller finish on the metal and wood than the bdl. And the stock is straight without a cheek piece

Chippy

I've always been a huge Remington fan! There's something about the feel of that old walnut and that bolt that just soothes my soul! And the 1100s do it for me too, something about pushing that big silver button…..wheeeeeew!

vonb

I started with a Remington and there will always be a place for Remington with me. In saying this, I have discovered other brands that have really shown me a better way in terms of accuracy, feeding, fit/finish and a trigger.

DaveTN

The new 700s are nice. They seem very nice in terms of fit and finish. At least the wood ones that I looked at. I do not know if they make the cheap adl anymore.
It appears they do.

It appears they also make the 783 that is about $100 less, and a totally different rifle than the 700.

BigCityBubba

It appears they do.

It appears they also make the 783 that is about $100 less, and a totally different rifle than the 700.

Looks like everyone is having sales in order to clear out for the new ones with the 5r barrel and the timney impact trigger

Huntaholic

I can finally say, for once in my life, that I dont see a need for another rifle! Eventually I may have to re-barrel some of the ones I already have, but I have no desire to buy another complete rifle. :( Im not sure what that says about my place in life right now.

DaveTN

I can finally say, for once in my life, that I dont see a need for another rifle! Eventually I may have to re-barrel some of the ones I already have, but I have no desire to buy another complete rifle. :( Im not sure what that says about my place in life right now.
Says you are probably old. :) I have most everything I want as far as guns go, actually waiting for the market to shift to get rid of a few. Been looking at and buying some knives. ;)

Joe2Kool

Comparing the big box store rem 700 to a model actually listed on their website is like comparing an 870 wingmaster or magnum to the 870 express. There is a reason they are half the price.
Yep. Like buying a John Deere mower at Home Depot and expecting John Deere quality. Why manufacturers do that is beyond me. I know they get their name in front of everybody at Home Depot/Wal Mart/Big Box store, but to do so, they have to make a product that doesn't live up to the name. Oh well, all about the buck.

Get it? Buck? On TNDeer? 😆 😆 As Foghorn Leghorn would say, "Ah say I made a funny boy. LAFF!!"

Joe2Kool

Regarding the OP, I own two 1100's from the late 1970's. They weren't shot much from ~1990-2015, but since then I have used them quite a bit shooting skeet and trap. I shoot the 26" improved cylinder for skeet, and the 28" modified for trap.

I also own an 870 Super Magnum Turkey from late 1990's. Killed a bunch of turkeys with it.

My big game guns are 700 BDL's from the late 1990's. One in 7 Mag and one in 300 Win Mag.

I can't speak much to recent quality, but I'm very pleased with the ones I have.

TITANSFAN2104

2-Step Enabled
One of the new remingtons. I believe they have went back to what made them great. This is a really nice rifle

Attachments

• 386379964_152807857909753_5012574796221233589_n.jpg
    386379964_152807857909753_5012574796221233589_n.jpg
    298.7 KB · Views: 47

BigCityBubba

Yep.People saying they get seconds and such . They make models with certain specs for the retailer so it hits a price point .
Are you agreeing with him or disagreeing with him? This what he disagreed with me on.

Comparing the big box store rem 700 to a model actually listed on their website is like comparing an 870 wingmaster or magnum to the 870 express. There is a reason they are half the price.

Latest posts