700 ejector

rifle02

I will try to be concise and not make this an overly long post. A number of years ago I built a custom 700 in 300 WSM. After Machining and fitting the barrel, I always test fire to check for function and extraction. I did this with no ejector as there was no reason. Extraction was smooth and effortless and I plucked the empties out with my fingers. I then cerakoted the gun, glass bedded it to a stock and all the rest. My problem was after installing the spring loaded Remington ejector and it is in a PTG bolt by the way, is that the ejector pushes the short cartridge so far to the right that the rim comes out from under the extractor. Often not ejecting but leaving the cartridge sitting in the action. Very frustrating. I have fooled with a weaker spring in the ejector, I've even redone the bolt face recess from a large chamfer to a counterbore. As an aside besides being short the WSM is a rebated case so the case Body Is Bigger Than The Rim that is also a factor. I racked my brain for a long time trying to figure out a way to create a standing or mechanical ejector that worked off a bolt stop. I just discovered that there has for many years been something like that. Kelbly actions have what they call a TG ejector in the bolt. Does anyone know if that can be installed in a Remington style bolt other than their own? I hope this all makes sense. If it doesn't just know that it's not a problem for a lot of people just me and I'm picky about my rifles sorry.

rifle02

No not exactly. It came with a 550 diameter recess with a large chamfer on the top Edge. I've soldered a ring in there and now the bolt face diameter is if I can recall, 540 or so. And instead of a big chamfer I have a counter-bore that is just over 550, only deep enough to allow the WSM to fit the bolt face properly.

Latest posts