Model 700 issues?

rickyk280

Yeah he shot some UBR with us,, he shot a factory 40x 308. It got where he said his health worried him being around so many people or something ,,
Yeah most of Larry's practicing was done here at my range behind my shop. Larry got to where he couldn't be around anyone that smoked.

mr.big

Yeah most of Larry's practicing was done here at my range behind my shop. Larry got to where he couldn't be around anyone that smoked.
I can't remember where I saw him last. He used come to Gallatin Gun Club I think it closed in 2017,,he may have came to Two Brothers Range up around Franklin Ky or Buck Creek at Somerset I can't remember. I'm pretty sure he hasn't been to Dry Branch Range they built in Dixon Springs after Gallatin closed,, I'd say it's been 5-6 years at least since I saw him

Joe2Kool

Anyone know what specific guns were affected by the recall? I've got two 700s, both from around 2000. The bolt functions with the safety on or off from what I recall. From memory, there is something funky about the safety though. Once you pull the trigger, you can't put the safety back on without cycling the bolt. I'll have to check them out soon.

Also, does regular Rem Oil freeze up like that? I'd heard of WD-40 gumming things up, but not gun oil.

If I can't give it a good cleaning, I have been known to just soak it down with Rem Oil if it has been raining. May not be a good thing after reading this.

infoman jr.

Anyone know what specific guns were affected by the recall? I've got two 700s, both from around 2000. The bolt functions with the safety on or off from what I recall. From memory, there is something funky about the safety though. Once you pull the trigger, you can't put the safety back on without cycling the bolt. I'll have to check them out soon.

Also, does regular Rem Oil freeze up like that? I'd heard of WD-40 gumming things up, but not gun oil.

If I can't give it a good cleaning, I have been known to just soak it down with Rem Oil if it has been raining. May not be a good thing after reading this.
Nothing funky going on with your safety. That's how it works. I wouldn't do too much oiling to the fire control at all. I don't use Rem Oil on any of my guns for that matter.

megalomaniac

Somebody has adjusted that trigger in the past based on the pictures, but regardless, I would replace entire trigger as I hate taking safety off to load and unload a rifle. The cleaning fixed the malfunction issue... but still a ticking time bomb.

rickyk280

I own one (T3X SL) and I absolutely love the out of the box trigger and accuracy, but not a fan of the bolt lock and having to have gun "on fire" to run the bolt. I've read there are aftermarket options, but I have not explored them in detail.
Like you Andy I have a couple of the T3X and I really like the triggers and accuracy of the rifles.

mr.big

Somebody has adjusted that trigger in the past based on the pictures, but regardless, I would replace entire trigger as I hate taking safety off to load and unload a rifle. The cleaning fixed the malfunction issue... but still a ticking time bomb.
You can cut the lever off the safety that locks the bolt closed and then it will allow you to work the bolt with the safety on

rifle02

I've seen that a number of times on older Remington 700s. I say older because over the years Gun oil and Gunk will collect inside that trigger housing. Especially bad if the previous owner used WD-40. It will build up a residue that will stick the internal parts. The extreme cold weather didn't help it either. That can be modified to open the bolt with the safety on but my advice is buy a trigger Tech, you won't regret it and your problem will be solved.

Chippy

So, I froze the action overnight.

I was able to replicate the issue. I clicked the safety off and squeezed the trigger. It did snap but the firing pin stuck down.

As in I operated the bolt and moved the firing pin in and out of the bolt, but when I closed the bolt to the "locked" position the firing pin fell as the bolt locked.

I'd say this indicates the trigger sticking in the "fire" position.

this was a few minutes after it began to thaw out.
Could it be the cleaner you used had froze up?

tacoma2002

2-Step Enabled
Could it be the cleaner you used had froze up?
That's for sure what it was.

When I originally took the gun down and cleaned it, I did not clean the trigger assembly further than the exterior.

This time I ran it though the ultrasonic.

I'd say the lube from the factory or pervious owner was freezing inside the assembly.

Never had that issue until now. Old dog learned a new trick.

Chippy

That's for sure what it was.

When I originally took the gun down and cleaned it, I did not clean the trigger assembly further than the exterior.

This time I ran it though the ultrasonic.

I'd say the lube from the factory or pervious owner was freezing inside the assembly.

Never had that issue until now. Old dog learned a new trick.
I had a guy that used to hunt with us had used some kind of grease on an old 7400 and it was fine when we sighted it in. Once it was cold though you could watch the pin just moving slow as all get out towards the round!

Latest posts