Anyone have a new Remington 700??

DaveTN

The "what rifle for deer hunting" made me think about this, so I thought I'd start a thread about it.

I'm not ashamed of the fact that I am a Remington fanboy. There was no better bolt action rifle than the 700. I feel the same way about the 870 and the 1100. They owned those three markets as far as I was concerned.

I'd like to hear from the owners of the new Remington's. And especially from those who have both from the new and old company. Are they still the King of the average man's bolt actions? What do you guys think.
:)

Specializedjon

Yes sir they are in my opinion. Just somethin about'em. I think they are the staple on which other companies have "improved" on. There are other very nice or nicer bolt action rifles for sure (Bergera comes to mind) but the Remington's will always be the benchmark. Again, one man's opinion. Which is usually always(ish) spot on 🤣

Love those 1100's too.

Urban_Hunter

I've got some new and old. I don't think the new ones are really lesser quality, except for the triggers. The trigger on anything since the late 90's/early 2000's are garbage. The xmark is garbage wrapped in cat shat. The xmark pro is cat shat wrapped garbage with perfume sprayed on it. Maybe compared to other new factory triggers they're on par, but the old two screw adjustables were the best factory trigger ever produced if you know how to tune them.

I'll agree on the 700 and 870 being rock solid. The 1100 however, in my opinion, is not on the same page. I have 3 broken ones. Two with broken welds/solders/whatever in the action that require more than the gun is worth to repair, and one that broke the weld on the mag tube ring on the barrel. They were each very finicky on what they would and would not cycle. Two of these are 80's models and one a 2004ish model. Probably got our moneys worth, but all 3 total failures. My 1187 seems to be much superior IMO.

DaveTN

Yes sir they are in my opinion. Just somethin about'em. I think they are the staple on which other companies have "improved" on. There are other very nice or nicer bolt action rifles for sure (Bergera comes to mind) but the Remington's will always be the benchmark. Again, one man's opinion. Which is usually always(ish) spot on 🤣
Good to hear!
I usually keep copies of your opinions on things. For reference later.
Love those 1100's too.

I do too. I have a Competition Synthetic. Absolute cream puff for an old guy getting tired of getting beat up.

m_allison71

2-Step Enabled
There was no better bolt action rifle than the 700.
Anything built on a Mauser action is as good, or better than anything Remington has put out(with a qualitybarrel, of course) . Remington makes a pretty rifle, I'll give them that, but their recall history isn'tgood. The 1100 is a great shotgun. I've had one 870 and couldn't wait to get rid of it.

Specializedjon

Good to hear!
I usually keep copies of your opinions on things. For reference later.

I do too. I have a Competition Synthetic. Absolute cream puff for an old guy getting tired of getting beat up.
Vince Vaughn Lol GIF by filmeditor

DaveTN

I've got some new and old. I don't think the new ones are really lesser quality, except for the triggers. The trigger on anything since the late 90's/early 2000's are garbage. The xmark is garbage wrapped in cat shat. The xmark pro is cat shat wrapped garbage with perfume sprayed on it. Maybe compared to other new factory triggers they're on par, but the old two screw adjustables were the best factory trigger ever produced if you know how to tune them.

I'll agree on the 700 and 870 being rock solid. The 1100 however, in my opinion, is not on the same page. I have 3 broken ones. Two with broken welds/solders/whatever in the action that require more than the gun is worth to repair, and one that broke the weld on the mag tube ring on the barrel. They were each very finicky on what they would and would not cycle. Two of these are 80's models and one a 2004ish model. Probably got our moneys worth, but all 3 total failures. My 1187 seems to be much superior IMO.
I think there will always be a lot of drama over triggers. The way I see it, manufacturers have to protect themselves legally. I have an X Mark Pro on mine and I'm happy with it as is. I sent it in for the recall but didn't notice any difference.

But I'm not a trigger fanatic. I can pretty much deal with the cards I'm dealt. I've only bought one aftermarket trigger for a handgun that had a terrible trigger.

DaveTN

I saw a new 700 BDL 300 win mag in a store about a month ago. It was nice but I'm not sure it was a grand nice. But a grand ain't what it used to be either so idk.
My 308 VLS was $835 15 years ago.
I don't like the laminate stock. I would have rather had walnut, but I don't think I could get a heavy barrel in a walnut stock at the time. Or if I could it cost too much. :)

backyardtndeer

Don't have one of the new models, but had considered it. I had a CDL sf on my want list. They are making those again now, and I have found them for as low as around a grand. Last 700 I bought was my 308 varmint stainless fluted, bought new in 2016, it is a tack driver.

BigCityBubba

Oh no, something else we have in common. I won't tell you how many because I would have to think a while on it but I do have a couple of pss's that are sub moa with cheap factory ammo. They shoot so well its hard to justify reloading for them. Are you talking about the new 700s in general or the new alpha which is an $1800 rifle? I have never seen one of those on the shelves. I would love to get my hands on one. I have seen the rem 700s that have been produced since they started back up again and I don't think they have changed much at all. People act like it was the quality of the firearms that put the company under. It was poor management that killed them not quality control. I think the ones they contracted out to be made for the big box stores are the ones that made people question the quality. What do you expect for a sub $400 rifle?

Rubberduck270

They have some hits and misses in my opinion. The BDL fit and finish is spot on. Bluing and bolt jeweling is very much like that of the 80s and early 90s. The SPS models are still matte blued (better than the early 2000s when that first came about) and they jeweled over the bluing on the bolt which makes it look like an after thought. Polishing the bolt body before jeweling would have been the way to go about that (as the BDLs are) so that's definitely a miss. The SPS stock also still sucks but if you're going to customize/upgrade it anyways it's perfect quality to toss in the corner and collect dust. Them teaming up with Timney is a giant hit that should have been done years ago. Once they get on board and start chambering for some of the newer cartridges, they'll be back to being competitive in the sales department (IMO anyways).

DaveTN

They have some hits and misses in my opinion. The BDL fit and finish is spot on. Bluing and bolt jeweling is very much like that of the 80s and early 90s. The SPS models are still matte blued (better than the early 2000s when that first came about) and they jeweled over the bluing on the bolt which makes it look like an after thought. Polishing the bolt body before jeweling would have been the way to go about that (as the BDLs are) so that's definitely a miss. The SPS stock also still sucks but if you're going to customize/upgrade it anyways it's perfect quality to toss in the corner and collect dust. Them teaming up with Timney is a giant hit that should have been done years ago. Once they get on board and start chambering for some of the newer cartridges, they'll be back to being competitive in the sales department (IMO anyways).
That's good to hear about the BDL's high polished blue. I love polished blue and walnut. That's what I wanted but I couldn't get it in a heavy barrel.

I'm surprised to see the CDL shows "Satin Blue" on their website. I thought it was supposed to be nicer than the BDL??

The pictures on their web site looks like the bolts are polished and jeweled on both the BDL and CDL??

Remington700

As you can see by my username I am partial to the Remington 700's. I grew up on Remingtons and still shoot several today. I have quite a few 700's and love them. I also miss the 870 and 1100 as has been mentioned. I also really like the model 7's and 11-87's.

DaveTN

People act like it was the quality of the firearms that put the company under. It was poor management that killed them not quality control.
Remington was bankrupted because they could no longer afford to defend themselves in the Sandy Hook lawsuit. Attorneys argued that the "Lawful Commerce in Arms Act" did not protect them because they were "promoting unlawful military use of the rifle by civilians". Apparently, the courts bought that argument.

EDIT: They will go after more using that argument.

Last edited:

BigCityBubba

Remington was bankrupted because they could no longer afford to defend themselves in the Sandy Hook lawsuit. Attorneys argued that the "Lawful Commerce in Arms Act" did not protect them because they were "promoting unlawful military use of the rifle by civilians". Apparently, the courts bought that argument.

EDIT: They will go after more using that argument.
That was after Cerberus Capitol Management ran their debt up to a billion dollars

Rubberduck270

That's good to hear about the BDL's high polished blue. I love polished blue and walnut. That's what I wanted but I couldn't get it in a heavy barrel.

I'm surprised to see the CDL shows "Satin Blue" on their website. I thought it was supposed to be nicer than the BDL??

The pictures on their web site looks like the bolts are polished and jeweled on both the BDL and CDL??
The older CDLs weren't necessarily "nicer" than the BDLs they were just a different style ie. no iron sights, no cheek piece on the stock, no white line spacer on the stock and if you go back far enough I believe the CDLs weren't drilled on the side of the receivers for a rear peep sight mount where the BDLs and ADLs were (until the early 80s). They also were a hand rubbed stock finish rather than the BDLs high gloss sprayed on finish. I know they were a deep blued finish but I don't remember them being quite as gloss of finish as the BDLs were. They did both have a jeweled bolt and a walnut stock where the ADLs of the time would have been just a polished bolt and a birch/cheaper stock.

700s across the board went downhill when they showed up on WalMart shelves. The corners they cut on the fit and finish to try and compete with a $297 Savage ran the whole line in the ground.

DaveTN

Comparing the big box store rem 700 to a model actually listed on their website is like comparing an 870 wingmaster or magnum to the 870 express. There is a reason they are half the price.
That's an old wives tale that's made its way around the gun forums for decades. It simply is not true.

Latest posts