Shot one need advice

14deerhunter

jb357":3e5hwexm said:
14deerhunter":3e5hwexm said:
She wasnt straight under me about 15 20 yards out I hit her more torch the front but middle back it went in at an angle and I dont know how much penetration do to blood was possible splashing on the arrow but if it went in could be about 5 to 6 inches according to the arrow

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
Oh. The way you explained it originally sounded to me like you shot straight down.
If you hit anywhere between section 1&2 on the picture and didn't hit spine you more than likely hit backstrap. Normally a deer hit there won't bleed much but your broken arrow probably kept the entrance wound open.
5-6" of penetration isn't good at all for that kind of hit. What's your equipment setup?
I had a lot of blood then drops then a lot of blood then drops I think I lost the blood trail after she crossed back over it she done a complete circle and came back torch the arrow and then I lost everything using rage mechanical broadhead on 400 gold tip arrow with pse stinger 3g 65 -70 pound

Goodtimekiller

7mm08 said:
Well none of that was her FEMORAL ARTERIES. THOSE on human much like a deer form at your umbilicus( belly button) from your aorta ( under the spine )and run down both your legs essentially. There are branches off the femorals themselves although smaller as you go further down the leg ( distally)

Possibly a thoracic artery/vein that is under every rib that communicates with the spine. They can bleed like stink , but not anything like a femoral/aorta/carotid. That kind of bleeding you can HEAR! A glancing blowing would get you that , a deep arrow should have hit aorta/vena cava and a quick kill.

I don't think this is exactly correct. The aorta comes through the abdomen as the abdominal aorta then splits into the external iliacs that run through the inguinal rings then down the leg. Just before it leaves the inguinal ring the deep femoral artery branches off. As the external iliac leaves the inguinal canal it becomes the femoral artery.

The internal thoracics follow the sternum, not sure how he would have hit those unless angle was straight up and down. The intercostal arteries and veins run behind every rib and are fed by the aorta and the costocervical dorsally and the internal thoracic ventrally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7mm08

Goodtimekiller":2p2cah0q said:
7mm08":2p2cah0q said:
Well none of that was her FEMORAL ARTERIES. THOSE on human much like a deer form at your umbilicus( belly button) from your aorta ( under the spine )and run down both your legs essentially. There are branches off the femorals themselves although smaller as you go further down the leg ( distally)

Possibly a thoracic artery/vein that is under every rib that communicates with the spine. They can bleed like stink , but not anything like a femoral/aorta/carotid. That kind of bleeding you can HEAR! A glancing blowing would get you that , a deep arrow should have hit aorta/vena cava and a quick kill.

I don't think this is exactly correct. The aorta comes through the abdomen as the abdominal aorta then splits into the external iliacs that run through the inguinal rings then down the leg. Just before it leaves the inguinal ring the deep femoral artery branches off. As the external iliac leaves the inguinal canal it becomes the femoral artery.

The internal thoracics follow the sternum, not sure how he would have hit those unless angle was straight up and down. The intercostal arteries and veins run behind every rib and are fed by the aorta and the costocervical dorsally and the internal thoracic ventrally.

So correct but figured who wants a lecture on the arterial tree of a human, let alone a deer. Ha! The aorta in a human lies next to the spine which is why paralysis is a risk when doing Aortic surgery as the spinal column is fed by tiny arteries adjacent to the vertebral column and thus spine. It is the intercostal, my bad. ITA is also called Internal Mammary And is more anterior to the sternum on both sides. Common for grafts for CABG. INTERCOSTALS do bleed pretty good but won't bleed you out right away. Still say it was an intercostal hit . Retired senior slip up. Good call

Dbllunger

7mm08":23kdufh8 said:
Goodtimekiller":23kdufh8 said:
7mm08":23kdufh8 said:

So correct but figured who wants a lecture on the arterial tree of a human, let alone a deer. Ha! The aorta in a human lies next to the spine which is why paralysis is a risk when doing Aortic surgery as the spinal column is fed by tiny arteries adjacent to the vertebral column and thus spine. It is the intercostal, my bad. ITA is also called Internal Mammary And is more anterior to the sternum on both sides. Common for grafts for CABG. INTERCOSTALS do bleed pretty good but won't bleed you out right away. Still say it was an intercostal hit . Retired senior slip up. Good call
Please stop guys. I'm going to have nightmares about my days in gross anatomy lab. Luckily all I have to remember these days is what's located between the nose and chin.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Goodtimekiller

7mm08":2cg43alm said:
Goodtimekiller":2cg43alm said:
7mm08":2cg43alm said:

I've seen many pro hunters say that a dear that was obviously shot in the chest was hit in the femoral so i thought a little anatomy lesson would be informative. Not that names of anything really matter, just the fact that you hit one of the bigger ones is more important.

jb357

14deerhunter":1ehhlpxe said:
jb357":1ehhlpxe said:
14deerhunter":1ehhlpxe said:
She wasnt straight under me about 15 20 yards out I hit her more torch the front but middle back it went in at an angle and I dont know how much penetration do to blood was possible splashing on the arrow but if it went in could be about 5 to 6 inches according to the arrow

Oh. The way you explained it originally sounded to me like you shot straight down.
If you hit anywhere between section 1&2 on the picture and didn't hit spine you more than likely hit backstrap. Normally a deer hit there won't bleed much but your broken arrow probably kept the entrance wound open.
5-6" of penetration isn't good at all for that kind of hit. What's your equipment setup?
I had a lot of blood then drops then a lot of blood then drops I think I lost the blood trail after she crossed back over it she done a complete circle and came back torch the arrow and then I lost everything using rage mechanical broadhead on 400 gold tip arrow with pse stinger 3g 65 -70 pound

I'd suggest either adding 100-150gr of weight to your arrows or finding new broadheads. There's no reason in this world for that little penetration out of a 70# draw bow at that destance.

Latest posts