Shot one need advice

Goodtimekiller

bowhunterfanatic":3tdepw9t said:
The femoral artery runs right under the spine if I'm not mistaken. Sounds like you could've hit it. She's dead not far away if you did. I hit one high and just a little back earlier this year and she might've gone 100 yards. I know I cut the femoral because she bled like crazy and it was a couple inches too far back to be top of lungs.

Femoral artery runs along the femur, not along the spine. The aorta and vena cava, which are much bigger than the femoral, run just under the spine. If you hit one of those there is a massive amount of bleeding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14deerhunter

Goodtimekiller":2zb9byxo said:
bowhunterfanatic":2zb9byxo said:
The femoral artery runs right under the spine if I'm not mistaken. Sounds like you could've hit it. She's dead not far away if you did. I hit one high and just a little back earlier this year and she might've gone 100 yards. I know I cut the femoral because she bled like crazy and it was a couple inches too far back to be top of lungs.

Femoral artery runs along the femur, not along the spine. The aorta and vena cava, which are much bigger than the femoral, run just under the spine. If you hit one of those there is a massive amount of bleeding.

There is plenty of blood but a lot of it was gone this morning I walked a big area of the woods looking for her and following trails she might of took bit got nothing I dont understand her following back to where the arrow fell out that's where the blood led back to

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

14deerhunter

TNGRIZZLY_":3tglvxlm said:
Did you walk the trail that she came from?

Sorry it has happened to most of us and it will haunt you. Just learn from it.
I went on the trail I thought she might of taken after I lost blood I got on hills looked over thickets in the bottoms I fount so many deer trails it was unbelievable lol she's fount me a new spot to hang some stands but ur right I've felt pretty sick all day I know it ain't a buck but anything I shoot makes me sick if I lose it

bowhunterfanatic

Goodtimekiller":2rulxock said:
bowhunterfanatic":2rulxock said:

Shows what I know. Ha! Thanks for teaching me something. I knew one of the major veins or arteries was right under it, just picked the wrong one.

14deerhunter

She wasnt straight under me about 15 20 yards out I hit her more torch the front but middle back it went in at an angle and I dont know how much penetration do to blood was possible splashing on the arrow but if it went in could be about 5 to 6 inches according to the arrow

MickThompson

jb357":5lkqkozn said:
Best advice is don't a straight down shot.

Sounds like you shot her right between the shoulder blades. Not much to hit there that's lethal unless you sever the spine. Aim for the exit.

Not much possibility of hitting both lungs at that angle, and a real possibility that the body soaks up the arrow with no exit, leaving the only hole on the very top of the deer.

You live and learn.

14deerhunter

It was more beside her spine but on top it wasnt right in the middle of her back when I seen the arrow it was angled in about mid ways and to the left of her spine
MickThompson":6cju2op4 said:
jb357":6cju2op4 said:
Best advice is don't a straight down shot.

Sounds like you shot her right between the shoulder blades. Not much to hit there that's lethal unless you sever the spine. Aim for the exit.

Not much possibility of hitting both lungs at that angle, and a real possibility that the body soaks up the arrow with no exit, leaving the only hole on the very top of the deer.

You live and learn.

Goodtimekiller

bowhunterfanatic":2r3b754k said:
Goodtimekiller":2r3b754k said:
bowhunterfanatic":2r3b754k said:

Shows what I know. Ha! Thanks for teaching me something. I knew one of the major veins or arteries was right under it, just picked the wrong one.
I've heard a lot of people on tv shows say the femoral artery was in a place it isn't. How some of them get a show i'll never know.

7mm08

Well none of that was her FEMORAL ARTERIES. THOSE on human much like a deer form at your umbilicus( belly button) from your aorta ( under the spine )and run down both your legs essentially. There are branches off the femorals themselves although smaller as you go further down the leg ( distally)

Possibly a thoracic artery/vein that is under every rib that communicates with the spine. They can bleed like stink , but not anything like a femoral/aorta/carotid. That kind of bleeding you can HEAR! A glancing blowing would get you that , a deep arrow should have hit aorta/vena cava and a quick kill.

The deer will wonder off a ways and die. Look for it around water is my guess

14deerhunter

7mm08":2aeeycwp said:
Well none of that was her FEMORAL ARTERIES. THOSE on human much like a deer form at your umbilicus( belly button) from your aorta ( under the spine )and run down both your legs essentially. There are branches off the femorals themselves although smaller as you go further down the leg ( distally)

Possibly a thoracic artery/vein that is under every rib that communicates with the spine. They can bleed like stink , but not anything like a femoral/aorta/carotid. That kind of bleeding you can HEAR! A glancing blowing would get you that , a deep arrow should have hit aorta/vena cava and a quick kill.

I tracked her for around 300 yards and lost the blood

14deerhunter

14deerhunter":373gdkaa said:
7mm08":373gdkaa said:

I tracked her for around 300 yards and lost the blood

Also checked around a pond and nothing

TDW05

2-Step Enabled
Did you search thicket you mentioned earlier? I know you said you look from over top of it or something but if it were me I'd go to the thickest nastiest part of it and look. If you think you can't possibly walk through it then I'm willing to bet if she is dead that's where she will be.

14deerhunter

Yes I went through it around it and still nothing hoping she's just wounded and It ain't fatal I hate losing deer buck or doe
TDW05":nlxmc0sg said:
Did you search thicket you mentioned earlier? I know you said you look from over top of it or something but if it were me I'd go to the thickest nastiest part of it and look. If you think you can't possibly walk through it then I'm willing to bet if she is dead that's where she will be.

jb357

14deerhunter":ifdjrzdz said:
She wasnt straight under me about 15 20 yards out I hit her more torch the front but middle back it went in at an angle and I dont know how much penetration do to blood was possible splashing on the arrow but if it went in could be about 5 to 6 inches according to the arrow

Oh. The way you explained it originally sounded to me like you shot straight down.
If you hit anywhere between section 1&2 on the picture and didn't hit spine you more than likely hit backstrap. Normally a deer hit there won't bleed much but your broken arrow probably kept the entrance wound open.
5-6" of penetration isn't good at all for that kind of hit. What's your equipment setup?

fairchaser

I shot a doe yesterday at a steep angle also. The entrance was 2E and the exit was 5D. She went full out for 50 yds and piled up. I like that model. That's pretty cool.

Attachments

• 38A53E75-41B5-449D-A8A7-1134C94EA7F2.jpeg
    38A53E75-41B5-449D-A8A7-1134C94EA7F2.jpeg
    162.9 KB · Views: 232

14deerhunter

fairchaser":1aujy11d said:
I shot a doe yesterday at a steep angle also. The entrance was 2E and the exit was 5D. She went full out for 50 yds and piled up. I like that model. That's pretty cool.
Mine never exited it was stuck in her back all the way till she went under a down log and it broke the arrow out

Latest posts