Set up plans for the opener

tree_ghost

Good luck in both states! I'll be a week or so behind on Ohio, but I'd bet this cold front will have them moving in daylight. Dad says white oaks have been dropping up there for 2 weeks. I was there 3 weeks ago and did a camera check. Had some resident up & coming 2 & 3 year old bucks moving in daylight or right on the cusp of daylight from mid August on. Around the second week of October is when the big guys begin moving back in. Does with fawns keep them chased out during summer. My place is deep woods hills & hollers with a river bottom & ag about a mile down at the mouth of the main hollow.
Yeah this cold snap will have them moving. Ky will be more of a scouting mission than anything unless I find hot sign I gotta climb on. It's a new piece of dirt I haven't been on but it's small, off the beaten path, and appear to have a lot of diversity in close proximity to each other. Hopefully I can gather some good intel for the future.

megalomaniac

It's amazing to me how much enthusiasism I can have for a bowhunt 3 weeks ago, but zero enthusiasm I can have for the next 4 weeks of season. I guess it's because all the bucks I would want to shoot have gone nocturnal since the velvet came off. I guess I could slip onto the edge of their core bedding areas, but I would do more harm than good

Or wait, I can shoot does this weekend! And leave spotted fawns without a mother/teacher...

I think I'll go fishing for specks instead.

Rackseeker

Good luck to everybody headed to the woods this weekend. Hope everyone has a safe hunt and kills whatever they are after. As for me I will be at home finishing up some projects I have started. My hunting don't get good until December anyway. The way its looking Nov. 18th will be my last day to work this year so I have plenty time to hunt.

Snake

I'll be hunting a ridgetop that has three ridgelines coming together. There are oaks all around but I also have a trophy rock lick that they been wearing out . I have two stands about 75 yds apart for different wind directions and another about 300 yds away to hunt about any wind direction around that top .

huvrman

Gideon prayer breakfast, putting in food plots, setting up in the PM between a persimmon tree and a previously planted plot. Then full bore Monday and Tuesday.

Last edited:

PossumSlayer

2-Step Enabled
What's everyone feeling for the opener, finding the acorns in the hardwoods or ag fields?

I'm a little torn with cooler weather.
I'm in a small saddle with a food plot 200 yards away on hilltop ... camera showed deer on food plot near dark, camera near saddle had deer about an hour earlier.
I'm back in the saddle again 😁
2weeks ago I had acorns dropping in the saddle.

Latest posts