Juvenile opener

rem270

My brother just called me and said his 10 year old grandson just shot a nice buck and is wound up. They passed on a doe which disappointed the little guy. The buck ran about 100 yards and bedded. He can still see it head movements so it hasn't expired. Brother thinks it might be a gut shot so now they wait. Exciting.

Hopefully it will expire right there! Post a pic when they get it!

*Just seen your other update. Congrats on the buck!

kaizen leader

Hopefully it will expire right there! Post a pic when they get it!

*Just seen your other update. Congrats on the buck!

Attachments

• IMG_3625.jpeg
    IMG_3625.jpeg
    440 KB · Views: 148

TheLBLman

Weather this weekend has certainly been less than ideal for the juvenile hunt, but probably still better than the brutal cold in January when almost zero juveniles participate.

Still a "bonus" opportunity for kids, and . . . . . . . .
No reason parents/grandparents can't take their kids hunting on opening day of rifle deer season as well as most other weekends?

Many younger TN hunters might find it hard to believe how hunting, not just deer hunting, has changed in TN over the past many decades.

When I began, it was mainly small game people hunted most. Many TN counties didn't even have a deer season, and the annual statewide buck limit was one (1). There was no special muzzleloader season, there was no juvenile hunt, and very, very few bowhunters. There was also zero to near zero turkey hunting in most TN counties.

Many might not believe this, but I believe back in the 1960's there was more TN hunters hunting ducks than even today, and the opening of squirrel season was a bigger event than today's opening of rifle deer season.

As a youth, I spent more time quail hunting than any other type of hunting.
And it was unreal how many people owned "bird" dogs, and actually hunted with them.
Today, quail are near extinct across most of TN (but not because of hunting).

In the past decade, I've brought in some expert bird hunters with truly world-class dogs, and we discovered more than a couple changes in some areas I believed there then to be a hunt-able population of quail.

One, the birds would more often flush over 100 yds away just from seeing the dogs in the distance. Two, there really weren't enough quail that we should have killed any, as their ongoing existence here is simply too fragile. Even without any hunting in those places the past 3 yrs, I've gone 2 yrs without seeing or hearing a bobwhite, and this is an area of thousands of acres of what would be considered good quail habitat, and held several coveys only a few years ago.

backyardtndeer

Back at it that afternoon. Had a little buck move through about 10 minutes before we got in the stand. Little drizzle on and off and the temps are fair. Even if he gets one this afternoon, I will be getting my son back out more in the coming weeks, but will only be bringing him to the canvas wrapped stand we are in, he just can't sit still.
20231029_162510_HDR_(1).jpg

scn

The he rest of the story:
So they wait for the big buck to die and it gets up and starts walking to a bean field. The little guy couldn't get a shot. They hustle to get another look. Sure enough he was cutting across another bean field and disappeared. Then a three pointer came out and the little guy shot it. Great first hunt.
What did they do about buck #1?

Snake

It was brutally hot most of the day but got back out in the stand about 4 in the evening and settled in. He said he was "buck" hunting but I knew better and knew really anything coming by would die. Had one come out and spot us but made the mistake of hanging around long enough for a shot. That one took off and crashed but I see another about 60ish yards away. I tell him where it's at and he asks if he can shoot it. I say "go for it" but really I was already dreading dealing with one in the heat. I just said make a good shot so I don't have to go chase it. Well…BANG and it drops like a rock without even a twitch. We go walk and get the atv and little trailer and go pick up his deer. First one was a good shot taking out both lungs but still managed to run into a jungle of a mess. We got to the second one that dropped like a rock and noticed why it did. Now I don't recommend this for anyone that doesn't have 100% confidence or who doesn't have dead calm breathing or hands but he put it right behind the ear. I have 110% confidence in his shooting abilities and he shoots probably more than 95% of the people on here. Great juvenile hunt and great time spent in the woods with my youngest.View attachment 200679View attachment 200680
Congrats on the double young man .

Hduke86

Wish I had took more pictures. Sat all day yesterday in the hunting house. Seen 0. Came after church and brought both kids. What a mess! But it was fine and we had fun. Finally had 4 come out. Waited 20 minutes before I finally let her pull the trigger.View attachment 200768View attachment 200770
Shooting house? That's nicer than some Airbnb I have stayed in 🤣

Hardwoodmaterials

Well we got skunked all weekend. Hot and full moons and a million and 3 acorns on the ground is rough.
I took my 9 year old in Maury Co. and we didn't see a single deer and only a handful of squirrels. It sounded like it was raining acorns when the wind blew. Plenty of Mosquitoes and yellow jackets though.

hunter0925

We definitely got it done. My daughter is the luckiest/most spoiled hunter I have ever seen. She just started this year and has only been twice but she has killed both times. The 6 is her juvi deer tonight and the doe was her first during bow season. She 10 ringed both of them. She did cry after she shot tonight but that was because I forgot to put her ears on before she shot. He didn't run 60 yards and a blood trail ray Charles could follow with the 62tsx out of the ar. My 2 kids have gotten 4 this year already.

Attachments

• IMG_20231029_191921170.jpg
    IMG_20231029_191921170.jpg
    267.9 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_20230930_090653733_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230930_090653733_HDR.jpg
    393.2 KB · Views: 80

higgs003

1698668702056.jpeg

Had a little luck on Saturday morning with my youngest son. Such great memories. They don't stay little for long. I know there will come a day when we can't do this anymore, so this experience will be held close to the heart. Hope everyone had some luck despite the tough conditions

kaizen leader

View attachment 200820
Had a little luck on Saturday morning with my youngest son. Such great memories. They don't stay little for long. I know there will come a day when we can't do this anymore, so this experience will be held close to the heart. Hope everyone had some luck despite the tough conditions
Congrats. That's awesome.

Latest posts