Scope on turkey gun

PalsPal

JRA":26l59mwd said:
I'm still relatively new to turkey hunting so stuff like this really helps me learn.
Hear is my setup:
Gun: Mossberg 835
Choke: Kicks .680
Ammo: LongBeard XR 3.5" - 6 shot
Sight: Fiber optic

Based on that do you recommend I purchase a scope? What about a red dot?
Or...
Go back to the factory choke which is "Ulti Full"

I have missed twice (two years ago) with the factory choke. I thought maybe the distance was too long.
I missed once last year with the Kicks choke on what I feel was a safe distance shot.

I am looking forward to hearing yalls feedback.

How did the gun pattern with the Kick's? If the bulk of the pattern is hitting center, then the problem is likely you. If it's left or right slightly, and the sights can be adjusted, then do that first.

I went through some misses a few years ago. I think in the excitement I was raising my head a fraction early. No sight/scope/etc will help if that is the case.

If your gun is getting a good center pattern, and you can see the sights well; I'd practice with dove loads, etc., at real turkey targets and concentrate on staying down through the shot!

JRA

Thanks for the reply PalsPal...
What are your thoughts on the setup I have...
Misses or not, am I making a mistake using that choke and ammo with fiber optics instead of a scope?

JChunts

JRA":2f7n9cse said:
Thanks for the reply PalsPal...
What are your thoughts on the setup I have...
Misses or not, am I making a mistake using that choke and ammo with fiber optics instead of a scope?

I have an 835 with a .690 choke (jelly head). I shoot federal flight controlled wads. I don't typically shoot past 35-40 yards due to the terrain I hunt and how I choose to set up but I have a tru glo red dot on my gun and love it. The only reason I switched to the red dot is due to knocking off or busting the fiber optics going through the woods. I do a lot of moving in thick cover so my gun gets beat around a good bit. I kept breaking or loosing the fiber optics so I figured there is no way to knock a red dot off. I opted for one and haven't looked back, that was 3 years ago. It allows you to shoot off hand and not fully shouldered with out getting a knot on your head. plus it is durable. Target acquisition is very easy, however it is not magnified so it wont help you if you are trying to stretch one out. I've killed birds from 9 steps to 40 steps with it and had no issues. It is all hunter preference though. Just thought I would share my experience.

megalomaniac

red dot on my sp-10.

Pros- can shoot it one handed, just put the dot on the waddle no matter consistency of cheek placement on stock and it's dead. Really handy when against woven wire fences.

Cons- forgetting and leaving it on... battery dead and no red dot :(

ADR

Andy S.":3aejj0mk said:
megalomaniac":3aejj0mk said:
...on my sp-10.

Pros- can shoot it one handed.......
I hate to arm wrestle you Mega.... :D

My goodness man. If you can one hand an SP-10 I don't even want you to crush my hand with a hand shake. I carry an SP-10 for duck hunts but couldn't imagine trudging it for miles on turkey hunts. My hat is off to you sir!

deerhunter10

JRA":3h8s8piu said:
I'm still relatively new to turkey hunting so stuff like this really helps me learn.
Hear is my setup:

Or...

I have missed twice (two years ago) with the factory choke. I thought maybe the distance was too long.
I missed once last year with the Kicks choke on what I feel was a safe distance shot.

I had an 835 that was a shooter I will say that I had a jelly head on mine. But there is no way in hell I would have put a scope on my gun I could just see a scope yo the eye it kicked so hard. I went with a cheaper solution that worked well for me for that gun at least dead ringer makes an adjustable site that kind of like iron sites but I liked them a lot better. It really helped me for those 35-40 yard shots.

AlexHensley

JRA":2hg058dj said:
Hear is my setup:

Or...

yes. get yourself a Burris Fastfire or a vortex venom sight . You will be very pleased

Gravey

deerhunter10":bdbz7g1x said:
JRA":bdbz7g1x said:
Hear is my setup:

Or...

I had an 835 that was a shooter I will say that I had a jelly head on mine. But there is no way in hell I would have put a scope on my gun I could just see a scope yo the eye it kicked so hard. I went with a cheaper solution that worked well for me for that gun at least dead ringer makes an adjustable site that kind of like iron sites but I liked them a lot better. It really helped me for those 35-40 yard shots.[/quote :!: ]
I used to have an 835 with a jellyhead choke. She broke a few necks along the way but the reach was a little long for me so I went to an 870. Otherwise I'd probably still shoot it and I did have a scope in it.

Coker

I have never used a scope and don't see the need for one. Granted, with today's tight shooting patterns out to 60+ yards, I can see the pro's. But, I don't like to shoot that far and would rather get up and close to the turkey. I am primarily a woods hunter (not a field hunter) and 60+ yards in very uncommon for an open shot.

JRA

Thank you everyone for the input!
I'm still undecided on how I will proceed...plan on shooting some in the next month and then make a decision on scope or no scope.

Latest posts