Scope on turkey gun

Mr. Hawk

How many of you use a scope and what are the pros and cons? I have a Browning BPS and don't know which to buy if I go that route this year.

Roost 1

Yes I use a 2x7 Leupold with turkeyplex reticle and I also use a fast fire 3 on another gun and then I have a bushnell trophy dot on a different gun... Some type of optic is almost a necessity with today's tight shooting chokes.

ruger7mag

2-Step Enabled
My main 12 gauge has a Leupold 1.5-4x20 and my 20 gauge has a Simmons pro diamond with turkey plex reticle. I won't carry a tight shooting turkey gun without a scope.

elknturkey

I wouldn't use a scope but do use a Burris fastfire. Misses have went down. Used Williams fire sights before that and no problems. Killed one with a bead last year just for the nostalgia.

Grandslam11

I had a bushnell turkey scope on my BPS. I actually hunted without it last year. I may go back to it this year though. It wasn't too expensive and worked fine. The one piece base that threads through the stock is a little pricey if I remember. What shells are you patterning with?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

REN

I personally am not a fan of a scoped (tube style) on a gun. It's just my personal preference but the obvious are the recoil issues with it hitting you, the quick target acquisition issue using one especially with magnification and follow ups. I also don't like it limits the gun to just that type of hunting. Yes there are pros to it as well but for me those are all negated by the negatives. Again just my personal preference.

Having said that I do use a FastFire3 and really like it. None of the above is an issue with it and I can use it for all types of hunting and never have to take it off.

Grandslam11

REN":1yimah7c said:
I personally am not a fan of a scoped (tube style) on a gun. It's just my personal preference but the obvious are the recoil issues with it hitting you, the quick target acquisition issue using one especially with magnification and follow ups.

The recoil issue is what caused me to take mine off last year. With the recoil of the gun, that thing would leave a nasty place on your eye/forehead. I noticed myself not being as confident as I was so worried about catching one to the eye. Like I said before, I may try again this year but for now it stays off.

Spurhunter

I have a Leupold 2-7x33 NWTF Edition with turkey plex on my designated turkey gun. I love a scope on a turkey gun. I never worry about the scope hitting me because of the generous eye relief, and I shoot 3.5 inch Hevishot.

My son uses his 870 for everything, but he won't turkey hunt without his scope. We put the rail and scope on in early March and take it off in late May.

I don't worry about follow up shots. If his head is in that circle it's game over.

Woodsman10

I have never used a "real scope" on a shotgun, but have used red dot, green dot scopes/sights and they help out tremendously.

I used go be to old school and have too much pride in shooting one with bead only, but I gave that life up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

PalsPal

Woodsman10":3fxx4jxr said:
I used go be to old school and have too much pride in shooting one with bead only, but I gave that life up.

:D

I am contemplating a low powered scope this season. My eyes aren't what they used to be.

REN

its not the recoil when sitting on a good set up with a very good shoulder mount and bird coming in straight ahead that worries me, its the all to common off hand shot when he doesn't come in the way you wanted. those shots you usually are not fully shoulder mounted or it can be an awkward shot all together. with a bead or halo site still not an issue but man with a scope on those types of shots it can REALLY give you a good knock.

i rarely if ever hunt from blinds and i don't deer hunt them so i run into those types of shots from time to time on quick set ups. for those reasons I just don't want to deal with a scope and the recoil factor. Again i know guys that use them and love them so its to each his own.

muddyboots

I never had any trouble with quick shots with the scope. Actually it lines up faster as long as you are proficient in pointing it. I treated my gun just like a deer rifle. If they didn't make an eotech I'd still have a scope on mine. Just make sure it is a good one that can withstand the recoil and had generous eye relief.

Gravey

I have a Pentax Lightseeker with the turkey plex reticle on my 870 and love it. I had a scope on a Mossberg 500 and when I went to an 835 I didn't put one on and missed a couple of birds. Not 100% sure why but think I was lifting my head up. Put one back on it and never looked back. When I sold it and bought the 870 I didn't hesitate to go with one again. Only drawback is if you have one shotgun you hunt everything with but my 870 is for turkeys only so not an issue.

Bone Collector

i have a truglow 4x32 turkey scope on my gun. I like it and it makes me feel more confident when shooting because i shoot a tight shooting choke.

down side is what Ren stated. it makes my only semi auto 12 ga a designated turkey gun. Unless i take the scope off, use the gun remount the scope, and repattern the gun....

catman529

I haven't brought myself to try one. I got a ghost ring sight last year and I like it better than the bead. Last shot I fired kilt 3 birds lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roost 1

Fiber Optic sights and beads along with super tight chokes have saved alot of birds over the years.... If you want your turkey gun to shoot like a rifle then you need some type of precision aiming device.. The best fiber optic will cover a birds head at 40yds so its just a guess when you pull the trigger. IF you dont want a scope on your gun then I suggest to use a more open choke and restrict you shots. I've killed a bunch with a bead at 30yds... :tu:

JRA

I'm still relatively new to turkey hunting so stuff like this really helps me learn.
Hear is my setup:
Gun: Mossberg 835
Choke: Kicks .680
Ammo: LongBeard XR 3.5" - 6 shot
Sight: Fiber optic

Based on that do you recommend I purchase a scope? What about a red dot?
Or...
Go back to the factory choke which is "Ulti Full"

I have missed twice (two years ago) with the factory choke. I thought maybe the distance was too long.
I missed once last year with the Kicks choke on what I feel was a safe distance shot.

I am looking forward to hearing yalls feedback.

Latest posts