Savage smokeless?

Hollar Hunter

Now that its been out for a while I was hoping to get some reviews from some fellow Tn hunters. Pros and cons? How has it performed for you? T/C vs smokeless?

Efhutton

No cons as far as I'm concerned. Mine shoots sub MOA at 200 yds, Couldn't imagine going back to having to clean up a ml after shooting a round or two.

hayman

I have had a encore and currently shooting savage the only con I can see is I didn't trade the encore as soon as I learned about the savage

Howa

Smokeless is an entirely different animal. I am really beginning to appreciate the superiority of smokeless muzzleloading. The comparison is there is no comparison.

OK I've got another thing I would like to jump in and ask about them. Did yall have a hard time finding the load bullet combo your gun wanted. Reason I ask I have had some bad experences with black powder muzzleloaders trying to find what they wanted to shoot. Have seen some that would do pretty good if you could find the right combo. Just trying to figure out if I wolud even have time to buy one and get it shooting good before season.

Talking to a gun dealer today he said some costomers have bought them and love them others have bought them and cant get them to group. I would rather have a stainless laminate, but the only new ones he could find were black sinthetic stock blue barell or basically same gun only camo and $50 higher. You think the sinthetic stock be ok?

Vermin93

brownfishunter said:
Talking to a gun dealer today he said some costomers have bought them and love them others have bought them and cant get them to group. I would rather have a stainless laminate, but the only new ones he could find were black sinthetic stock blue barell or basically same gun only camo and $50 higher. You think the sinthetic stock be ok?

I have a stainless / thumbhole laminate and a blued / black synthetic. The blued / black synthetic is butt ugly. I hate cheap synthetic stocks and I will be replacing the black synthetic with a sweet laminate from Stocky's Stocks as soon as possible. That is the best solution for addressing the ugliness of the blued / black synthetic model.

They have been out for 11 or 12 years. I bought mine in 2000 or 2001 and they are awesome! If someone is having accuracy issues, they are using the wrong sabot or bullet. You can't just throw any ole sabot and bullet down the tube on a Savage.

Howa

smfoley said:
If the Savage smokeless muzzleloaders are so good why has Savage discontinued production?
Couple of reasons, probably the biggest is they didn't pay Michael Waddell a butload of money to hype one on TV. Second is most folks are happy with a $150 CVA you can drop in 2 pellets and hit a pie plate at 50 yards, then they don't clean it anyway because it's headed to the pawnshop as soon as season is over. Why would they buy a Savage?

Andy S.

smfoley said:
If the Savage smokeless muzzleloaders are so good why has Savage discontinued production?
That is a good question. My challenge to anyone that discounts how good they are is to find someone that has one and shoot it and clean it. My money says all doubt will be quickly removed from the naysayer. ;)

vonb

smfoley said:

1) Most people are going to spend $500+ on a muzzleloader for a few extra days of hunting.

2) These muzzleloaders are a little on the heavy side compared to less expensive models shooting pyrodex/777/bh209.

3) Savage in my opinion never properly marketed them which I think it due to all the liability sues from Bubbas trying smokeless in their non-Savage rigs.

4) The market went to a break-open style action over bolt due to easier access to breech plugs. Being a bolt design makes them longer.

With that said, once you use one, you'll be sold. No cleaning every night it's shot and it's cheaper to shoot and with better velocity than someone shooting bh209. It's simply a better design.

Locksley

Howa said:
smfoley said:
Couple of reasons, probably the biggest is they didn't pay Michael Waddell a butload of money to hype one on TV. Second is most folks are happy with a $150 CVA you can drop in 2 pellets and hit a pie plate at 50 yards, then they don't clean it anyway because it's headed to the pawnshop as soon as season is over. Why would they buy a Savage?

HatchieLuvr said:
I agree, if anyone had problems getting them to group it's because they don't realize they are dealing with a piece of equipment that has the potential for 30/06 velocities. Especially if you are shooting the hotter powders in 90+ degree temperatures. Obviously you gotta select premium sabots, bullets, powders and see "what if".

This aint your daddies ol pos CVA!
RA

vonb said:
smfoley said:

1) Most people are going to spend $500+ on a muzzleloader for a few extra days of hunting.

2) These muzzleloaders are a little on the heavy side compared to less expensive models shooting pyrodex/777/bh209.

3) Savage in my opinion never properly marketed them which I think it due to all the liability sues from Bubbas trying smokeless in their non-Savage rigs.

4) The market went to a break-open style action over bolt due to easier access to breech plugs. Being a bolt design makes them longer.

With that said, once you use one, you'll be sold. No cleaning every night it's shot and it's cheaper to shoot and with better velocity than someone shooting bh209. It's simply a better design.

This aint your daddies ol pos CVA! This is a modern bolt action rifle .

Locksley

ITS A SAVAGE THING because they are better and easier shooting than the smokepoles and MAINLY because you don't have to get out the soapy water and tear the gun down. ALL inlines, scopes, non-blackpowder, sabots and jacketed bullets are for easy.
Hard is the feel like Daniel Boone and Davy Crockett type of hunt with a "smokepole" stuff , wear leather pants and homemade shirts and hats stuff. The start your fire with a Flint and steel kind of thing is for mountain men types that started hunting with a M/L rifle after seeing Geriemia Johnson on the movies .

Old Timer

I suspect that those who use smokeless powder during ML season also use blow-up dolls for dateing. For many of the same reasons.

Vermin93

smfoley said:

Savage is first and foremost a centerfile and rimfire rifle company. Building muzzleloaders is not their core business like it is for CVA and T/C. Savage never effectively marketed the 10ML-II, and in the hunting industry the ability to effectively market your product is huge. Also, the 10ML-II is relatively expensive to manufacture because of how well it's made. Also, smokeless muzzleloading is confusing and intimidating to a lot of casual shooters and hunters who would rather just drop 2 or 3 expensive pellets down a barrel. All those factors together made the 10ML-II bad business for Savage.

I will never understand why so many muzzleloading hunters would rather buy expensive pellets and deal with constant barrel swabbing, crud rings and barrel corrosion instead of buying a simple powder scale and weighing smokeless charges. It really makes very little sense, especially since a 10ML-II can shoot nasty expensive pellets, or black powder, or black powder substitute, or Blackhorn 209, or smokeless powder, but a lot of things man does make little sense. The relatively small number of 10ML-II owners know what CVA, T/C, and other muzzleloader owners are missing - more speed, more distance, better accuracy, more flexibility, less mess, less maintenance, and much lower operating cost.

You can still order a blued/synthetic 10ML II from Savage if you want one, so it's not dead yet.

Locksley

The dyed in the wool traditional muzzleloading hunters would rather deal with constant barrel swabbing, crud rings and barrel corrosion instead of abandoning what is the only true art form invented in America. We invented long-rifles in our pioneer days a thing of beauty to be shot and held.

Latest posts