Savage smokeless?

Howa

HUNTTNKY said:
Not to high-jack this thread, as I think most everything has been covered on the Savage at this point...

Is there a company making barrels ready to go for an Encore? Opposed to having to buy a .45-70 bbl and sending it off?
Yes, SMI is making smokeless barrels for the encore, same place that is converting my 45/70. They use Douglas barrels.

WTM

Locksley said:
Howa said:
smfoley said:
If the Savage smokeless muzzleloaders are so good why has Savage discontinued production?
Couple of reasons, probably the biggest is they didn't pay Michael Waddell a butload of money to hype one on TV. Second is most folks are happy with a $150 CVA you can drop in 2 pellets and hit a pie plate at 50 yards, then they don't clean it anyway because it's headed to the pawnshop as soon as season is over. Why would they buy a Savage?

HatchieLuvr said:
I agree, if anyone had problems getting them to group it's because they don't realize they are dealing with a piece of equipment that has the potential for 30/06 velocities. Especially if you are shooting the hotter powders in 90+ degree temperatures. Obviously you gotta select premium sabots, bullets, powders and see "what if".

This aint your daddies ol pos CVA!
RA

vonb said:
smfoley said:
If the Savage smokeless muzzleloaders are so good why has Savage discontinued production?

1) Most people are going to spend $500+ on a muzzleloader for a few extra days of hunting.

2) These muzzleloaders are a little on the heavy side compared to less expensive models shooting pyrodex/777/bh209.

3) Savage in my opinion never properly marketed them which I think it due to all the liability sues from Bubbas trying smokeless in their non-Savage rigs.

4) The market went to a break-open style action over bolt due to easier access to breech plugs. Being a bolt design makes them longer.

With that said, once you use one, you'll be sold. No cleaning every night it's shot and it's cheaper to shoot and with better velocity than someone shooting bh209. It's simply a better design.

This aint your daddies ol pos CVA! This is a modern bolt action rifle .

all these are good reasons, but when you add in the fact that several states have banned the use of smokeless nitro powders during the ML seasons, it makes it hard to sell a product nationwide if half of those states dont allow it. and with that also factor in that some of those states dont even allow the use of sabot style bullets.

Latest posts