Savage smokeless?

TX300mag

I love mine.

I hunt every day of TN's newer (two week) MZ season, rain or shine.

I've killed 12 deer with it and a buddy killed three more over the last two years. I wouldn't hunt that much if all I did was clean it over an over.

Besides, killing deer at over 200 yards with ease is NICE! :cool:

Locksley

YES the deer are what deer hunters want , flintlocks are better for primitive matches , Flintlocks for hunting are hard.

bigfoot318

Howa, Never heard it put quite that way but you are dead on. That is exactly what happens with most people and they wonder why they cant hit a deer at 150 yards.

Vermin93

Locksley said:
The dyed in the wool traditional muzzleloading hunters would rather deal with constant barrel swabbing, crud rings and barrel corrosion instead of abandoning what is the only true art form invented in America. We invented long-rifles in our pioneer days a thing of beauty to be shot and held.

Savage was not competing against traditional muzzleloaders with the 10ML-II. They were competing against modern in-line muzzleloaders and they lost because more modern in-line muzzleloader shooters would rather drop nasty, expensive pellets down the barrel and shoot crappy powerbelts than buy bulk bullets and sabots and weigh smokeless charges.

Traditional muzzleloaders are awesome. I have one to complement my Savage 10ML-II's.

redblood

best muzzleloader out there. are they as fast a 30-06, that is ridiculous. a fast load will chrony about 2350. even if we could push a bullet 3000 out of a muzzleloader and match 3006 speeds, it would lose the velocity very quickly due poor sectional density and ballistic coeffeiciency of a 45 cal bullet. however, they are about as good as muzzleloader can get. but they are heavy and ugly as sin.

Wobblyshot1

Locksley said:
YES the deer are what deer hunters want , flintlocks are better for primitive matches , Flintlocks for hunting are hard.

I never have felt handicaped using my flinter. Hopefully I will be able to get a deer this year with it as I usually do.

I use real black powder and patched round ball. In my nearly forty years of shooting traditional muzzle loaders, I have never had to deal with constant cleaning, crud rings or corrosion. I think those conditions are associated with the modern guns and the various BP substitutes.

As far as the Savage Smokeless is concerned, I find the concept interesting but I, myself, am not interested in that style of muzzle loading. The Savage is perfectly legal to use in Tennessee, as is my flintlock. There's plenty of room in the woods for both of us and to each his own.

The ML season will be here before you know it. Wishing everone out there success with their smokepoles......O yes.....and the smokelesspoles too. ;)

EastTNHunter

2-Step Enabled
Wobblyshot1 said:
Locksley said:

I never have felt handicaped using my flinter. Hopefully I will be able to get a deer this year with it as I usually do.

I use real black powder and patched round ball. In my nearly forty years of shooting traditional muzzle loaders, I have never had to deal with constant cleaning, crud rings or corrosion. I think those conditions are associated with the modern guns and the various BP substitutes.

As far as the Savage Smokeless is concerned, I find the concept interesting but I, myself, am not interested in that style of muzzle loading. The Savage is perfectly legal to use in Tennessee, as is my flintlock. There's plenty of room in the woods for both of us and to each his own.

The ML season will be here before you know it. Wishing everone out there success with their smokepoles......O yes.....and the smokelesspoles too. ;)

Wobbly, thanks for bringing this post back to some sort of civility. There is no need to insult someone's manhood just because they don't hunt the same way as you do, and just like you have said, good luck to all with hunting the way that you want this ml season.

ewc

redblood said:
push a bullet 3000 out of a muzzleloader

3k is not hard to achieve. BTDT +100fps.

In a .50, 2,800 is EASY and SAFE.

Howa's .45 will smack 3K+ as did KevinB's.

Food for thought-

B.C. kills us- but that too is coming along:

http://parkerproductionsinc.com/index.html

A close friend is confirming his drops to 500 with the 325 grain.

He's a killer to 300yards with a 195" mule deer. I got him going and Bob H. in Knoxville did some 'smithing- .50 caliber.

Of course, it helps that he's a good shot and uses optics that make the drops easy.

Locksley

holstonangler said:
So are you pioneer guys still using arrow heads in archery season? haha(kidding of coarse)

Some actually still use hand-knapped flint arrowheads with wooden arrows and real turkey feather fletching because it has always been so. Some use Bear razor--heads with wooden arrows and real turkey feather fletching because it has always been so. We mean traditional bow hunters here . traditional bows go back thousands of years before the Egyptians .

Locksley

elauwit said:
locksley i've tried flint knapping. wish i was better at it but i like practicing the primitive skills.
Cool I made me a flint knife once and shaped my flint for my fire starting kit in its leather bag with char cloth ect.

ewc

Old Timer said:
I suspect that those who use smokeless powder during ML season also use blow-up dolls for dateing. For many of the same reasons.

Old Timer. Glad to have you back.

Please explain the above post.

Never mind. Your ____ just called again...

Please tell her to stop.

:D

Howa

You are correct they are not currently making stainless models, and the blacks are hard to come by, but they are still making them, now finding one, that's another story. lol

If it's me, I'm building a Remi 700 ML .45 smokeless Conversion, which I just did, or an Encore Smokeless .45 conversion, which I am doing right now. Lots of options other than the Savage. I liked My Remi build so well, I sold my Savage/PacNor .45 just last weekend.

downthebrown

The wait is not as long as you would think either. BIL bought one and he had it delivered within 2 weeks. Thats better than some retail chains.

HUNTTNKY

Not to high-jack this thread, as I think most everything has been covered on the Savage at this point...

Is there a company making barrels ready to go for an Encore? Opposed to having to buy a .45-70 bbl and sending it off?

Latest posts