Post rut hunting strategies

Dodge Man

are you just wanting to put a deer in the freezer or are you specifically going for a good buck? Like others have said green food sources will definitely get you some doe sightings. Most of the bucks now won't step out on those fields till after dark. I still am getting them hitting scrapes though. If you can put yourself between where a buck is bedding and where a scrape or staging area is, you may be in the $$$.
IMG_1749.jpeg
IMG_1748.jpeg
IMG_1750.jpeg

I have had several bigger bucks moving in the daytime this week.

Ski

The primary rut is over, but the big boys aren't, and they start making bad decisions like @megalomaniac at last call. ;)

True enough. Took my wife to Starbucks for her morning coffee and saw one the best and oldest bucks from the farm dead on the side of the highway less than a mile from the farm. Looked like his brow tine was still attached but possibly his left beam broke off. Tough to tell as I was driving past. Truck behind me whipped it over and when I was coming back 20minutes later the buck was gone, so I assume they grabbed him. Big wide 5yr+ 8pt. He got ran over no doubt by being an idiot over girls.

Then as we pull into the driveway I see 4 does standing huddled up out in the field and a heavier deer in the treeline. I go inside & grab my rifle to look through the scope and sure enough it's a good buck sticking like glue to those does. Not sure which one is coming hot but one of them sure is. Maybe he'll make it til next season but I didn't recognize him so who knows. That was almost 10am. Either way the older bucks are for sure on their feet here in Coffee county.

themanpcl

So I've never been very good at hunting in December. I think I finally get a chance to get back in the woods this Saturday. Haven't been since muzzy. To me it looks like a perfect day to hit the food plots and sit all day. Good temps, good wind, and pressure will be dropping.

What are some tips to help with hunting post rut.
doe control/sausage replenishment...lol

Rob-HC Hunter

My success in the late season has been to hunt green food sources in the afternoon. I pay particular attention to wind direction and try to hunt close to thickets while being able to see a lot of ground so I can adjust according for future hunts. It's been my experience that younger bucks will start to group up again and older bucks are tolerant of each other. Their demeanor will switch from breeding to eating and they become very vulnerable.

Latest posts