Post rut hunting strategies

Ladys man

So I've never been very good at hunting in December. I think I finally get a chance to get back in the woods this Saturday. Haven't been since muzzy. To me it looks like a perfect day to hit the food plots and sit all day. Good temps, good wind, and pressure will be dropping.

What are some tips to help with hunting post rut.

JCDEERMAN

Travel corridors near green food sources can be your friend this late in the season. Unfortunately, I'm finished for this year.

Date is wrong - this camera malfunctioned and I'm sending it back. This was on opening weekend of rifle season. It's located about 100 yards from one of our most dominant perennial clover plots.

Rackseeker

So I've never been very good at hunting in December. I think I finally get a chance to get back in the woods this Saturday. Haven't been since muzzy. To me it looks like a perfect day to hit the food plots and sit all day. Good temps, good wind, and pressure will be dropping.

Drive south a couple hours and enjoy the rut. Its just getting started here.

deerhunter10

Food tucked as tight as possible to bedding and travel corridors. And obviously cold fronts are imo the main thing to get them on their feet in daylight. Hunting pressure is also the make or break in late season imo.

philsanchez76

are you just wanting to put a deer in the freezer or are you specifically going for a good buck? Like others have said green food sources will definitely get you some doe sightings. Most of the bucks now won't step out on those fields till after dark. I still am getting them hitting scrapes though. If you can put yourself between where a buck is bedding and where a scrape or staging area is, you may be in the $$$.

Ladys man

are you just wanting to put a deer in the freezer or are you specifically going for a good buck? Like others have said green food sources will definitely get you some doe sightings. Most of the bucks now won't step out on those fields till after dark. I still am getting them hitting scrapes though. If you can put yourself between where a buck is bedding and where a scrape or staging area is, you may be in the $$$.
Saturday I would like to shoot a nice buck, let several go during muzzy.
I'm using my last vacation day next week to take my son in hopes of killing a doe.

Ski

Pfft your guess is good as mine. I've always struggled with late season. I hear people say it's just like early season with bed to food patterns but I've never found it to be true. I'll be trying in Ohio until I get it done or season ends, so perhaps I'll learn something useful.

deerhunter10

Pfft your guess is good as mine. I've always struggled with late season. I hear people say it's just like early season with bed to food patterns but I've never found it to be true. I'll be trying in Ohio until I get it done or season ends, so perhaps I'll learn something useful.
We have had success late season. 70 percent of the time it's the "2nd rut" the other 30 is great cold fronts and food basically in their bed room. It is theoretical the same as early with it centered around food, but you are hunting highly pressured deer in most cases.

killingtime 41

I'm certainly no one to take advice from. But if you know of any late born fawns that are doe's keep an eye on them. As it's never over till it is. I personally don't know any particular late fawns but wish I did. Also any doe groups period the young doe's are still running with the older doe groups having no idea why the bucks are harassing them. Can be money for sure.

philsanchez76

I'm certainly no one to take advice from. But if you know of any late born fawns that are doe's keep an eye on them. As it's never over till it is. I personally don't know any particular late fawns but wish I did. Also any doe groups period the young doe's are still running with the older doe groups having no idea why the bucks are harassing them. Can be money for sure.
Funny you say that. Just got pics on of the smallest doe ever being tracked by a buck middle of the day yesterday and in 72 degree weather! This on a highly pressured piece of public too. It def ain't over till it's over.

F266746F-3B1A-4CC0-877F-9EC0E3030CEF.png
65699ABA-1AA0-4B22-A3C3-E247E9A39F0B.png

backyardtndeer

Have had some late season success here, usually around food plots but also catching doe fawns coming in their first cycle bringing bucks in with them. Have to pay attention to those doe fawns this time of year around here, they may still be grouped with does and may be in.

When the temps drop hard in the late season, if you have high carb plots like standing soybeans, they can be really good draws. Wish I had gotten beans in this year.

megalomaniac

Jeez... too many variables....Depends on where you are in the rut cycle.

On my farms, 2nd rut is starting. Getting pics of mature bucks in daylight again bumping and checking does past 2 days. Because of that, I'll be hunting the same spots I hunt 1st rut in the morn. The evenings I'll be on food sources because we need 4 more does removed on one farm.

If you are between 1st and 2nd rut, I'd be on the very best food source on your property. Deer are on the feed/bed pattern and not roaming far. Mature bucks are in the thickest cover you have close to a food source.

Ladys man

Late to reply, but this land is on the plateau hunted last Saturday. Found 2 fresh scrapes and a rub but no deer seen on an all day sit. This was in a thick bottom that leads to a clover plot.
Going back this Saturday with the family in tow to change my luck.

Latest posts