The Rut and Hunting the Wind?

backyardtndeer

I will push it a little more, but not totally disregard it. Interesting enough I have seen bucks running or moving with the wind during the rut. Buck I killed a week and a half ago was moving with the wind, and he was a mature deer.

deerfever

If a buck is actually chasing I don't think it matters what wind is blowing. If he is out cruising, scent checking for doe , you better have the wind in your favor. So not knowing which is going to happen your odds go way up if you always account for the wind. Just my opinion

Madbowh

I will push it a little more, but not totally disregard it. Interesting enough I have seen bucks running or moving with the wind during the rut. Buck I killed a week and a half ago was moving with the wind, and he was a mature deer.
Seen the exact same thing, had a big boy with 4 does 2 weeks ago just out of bow range going with the wind and in front of the does leaving them behind while he was feeding

BSK

The idea older/mature bucks never walk with the wind at their backs is ludicrous. What happens to them when the wind blows from the south for 6 straight days? He can never walk north. They would end up in the Gulf of Mexico. Bucks will play the wind in their favor as much as possible, but there will always be situations where they have to move with the wind at their backs.

mike243

If bucks only go upwind we wouldn't never see the same deer, they might circle a area if they remember something happened there, i just try to stay clean and let it happen

Ski

The only absolute I've seen with how bucks interact with the wind is that there are no absolutes. Just when you think you've got them pegged they'll do something that completely upends what you think you knew. In my experience does are much more sensitive to the wind, and even they sometimes surprise me with how careless they can be.

Dennis

The idea older/mature bucks never walk with the wind at their backs is ludicrous. What happens to them when the wind blows from the south for 6 straight days? He can never walk north. They would end up in the Gulf of Mexico. Bucks will play the wind in their favor as much as possible, but there will always be situations where they have to move with the wind at their backs.
That's why, when you hunt facing the wind, the mature bucks always sneak up behind you. You didn't know?

backyardtndeer

Come on guys, I need someone to tell me it's ok to hunt my favorite stand Saturday even though the wind will be wrong lol.
Of course forecasts are sometimes not right either. I have had accuweather and weather.com tell me the wind is out of the north for my location when it was actually not. My back field, the ideal wind is south, that puts the wind at my face and blowing back towards my house, BUT I have killed a lot of deer with the wind blowing across me ne or nw, really just depends on where the deer come from on that given day.

Latest posts