Poll - Which Method Do You Use Most for Deer Hunting?

Which method do you use most for deer hunting?

• Tree stand

Votes: 75 60.5%
  • Ground blind

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • Ground hunting - i.e. Still hunting / Seated or standing on the ground

Votes: 29 23.4%
  • Elevated tower blind or platform structure

Votes: 11 8.9%
  • No preference, I don't know.

Votes: 1 0.8%

• Total voters

Steverino

That's because BRI was a revolutionary sabot slug with an excellent reputation.

"The BRI Sabot Slug is a hourglass shaped sabot slug that aerodynamically self stabilizes. BRI stands for Ballistic Research Industries. These slugs were marketed for civilians and Law Enforcement. Patented in 1973 the design was purchased by Winchester and is currently marketed for use in rifled barrel shotguns."
BRI sabot slugs were probably the best invention for shotgun slug hunting since the Brenneke slug in 1898.

I doubt that shotgun slug hunting is very popular in states where rifle hunting is legal on state land.
Perhaps that can be a topic for another thread.
It was revolutionary. I used them in 12 gauge. I read somewhere you can shoot thru an engine block with one. They were initially made for police and military as Sun says. Not sure if they are still around I got out of deer shot gun years ago.

In CT you cannot use a rifle on state land anywhere in the state. Rifles are only allowed on private land which means you need to lease or know someone if you don't have enough acreage. I tried back in 2009 to buy land for hunting and its ridiculously hard to find somewhere that doesn't have houses or buildings on or near it. Some tracts I looked at were hunt able except they were impossible to navigate and yeah get a slain deer out of. You have to be 250' away from but thats just a number - if there are houses in your line of fire it don't matter if they are 300 yards away you can still kill someone. And it believe its a minimum of 10 or 15 acres for rifles. I eventually had access to private land but deer weren't frequenting it much and the other piece was abutted by state forest so there were lots of orange lit people moving around in rifle range of me - trespassers.

I hunted Kollar WMA which was near my house with shotgun and muzzleloader for years but even that was getting infiltrated by houses and soccer moms taking doggies out in the middle of deer season. One walked up on me and a friend with her dog, she was dressed in a brown jacket. I asked her if she realized it was deer season and she said what kind of guns are you using - we said muzzleloaders and she goes thats alright if it was shotgun I'd be afraid. I guess muzzleloaders won't kill you. I went and got a spare target orange jacket for her to wear so she didn't end up on someones dinner plate.

So if you're gonna hunt deer in CT you're gonna set up the best shotgun you can - scope - ammunition - and get the most comfortable clothing to sit still for hours in sub freezing temperatures and snow storms. I did use a tree stand but it was a ladder stand and I put a seriously thick cable lock on it. No one fooled with it. Still .......

All the deer I've killed have been either in Alabama or in TN. Which is one reason were here.

That is a nice rack Sun.

Last edited:

Volbuck777

Why are you bringing politics into a deer hunting thread?
I voted for Trump twice and I'll bet that I've supported the NRA more than you ever have,
I don't know about you but I've been involved in the shooting sports for many years, probably for more years than you've been alive.
I was an NRA Rifle Instructor and coached my oldest son when I got him involved in sub-junior smallbore rifle competition in a 3 position rifle league.
That continued until he graduated from high school, and I also helped coach other young kids who were on the team.

I also ran NRA sanctioned International Air Pistol matches in an air pistol league that my .22 gun club sponsored.
That means that I help generate money for the NRA.

I also competed in .22 bullseye pistol matches in a league for many years.
I've shot trap, and belonged to an NMLRA muzzle loading club, and was president of my .22 gun club.
And I've hunted for many years for small game and deer with both regular firearms and muzzleloaders.

I don't pretend to know you but you want to pretend to know me.
Why don't you lighten up and send me a PM if you have a problem like the forum rules recommend?
There's people from other states than Tennessee on this forum, and most shooters are generally the friendliest people who try to help each other out because we're all supporters of the 2nd Amendment.
Testy today I see. Simmer down. I'm not trying to hurt your feelings. I don't know you. I do however see that you don't get out of the political forum very often. I also see that when you're over there you like to stir the pot with your theories and propaganda. Always pushing your liberal ways. I'm not crazy about what I've seen posted by you on here but each their own I guess.

Steverino

That deer came out of an area adjacent to the Pattaconk recreation area [Turkey Hill Reservior], that's in the Cockaponset State Forest in Middlesex County, CT.
CT has plenty of deer - but they cling to the houses in where I used to live - I had them bedding down just past my back yard in the "field". They are also plentiful in Manchester East Hartford - pretty much most of the real estate along the Hockanum river which as they know is un-huntable even with bow. Never went down to that area you speak of - everything I did was in the northeast corner.

Rancocas

I used to climb trees. Back in the days when we built 'tree stands" out of scrap lumber and they were permanently attached between two, three, or four trees.
I personally knew two fellows who fell, or their climbing stands fell. One was killed when he broke his neck. The other is now a paraplegic in a wheelchair.
I'm old and my bones are brittle. I stay on the ground now.

jaybird62

Probably half still hunting and about that many from a climber for the first 35 seasons, but the last decade most have been from an elevated stand of sorts.

Snake

Tree stand hunting weather it be a ladder stand, loc on or your climber in a well placed area increases a hunters odds so much favorable. You can get away with movement you can't while hunting on the ground. Ground hunting is so much easier and if you don't like your stand you can always move is one advantage you have ground hunting but your odds has got to be higher when you are higher ;)

shirtshirt

I prefer a tree stand in TN. But last year my one buck was taken as I was walking quietly through the woods. Shot a doe from a tree stand. And shot a doe from a ground blind.

Three different set ups last year. Hadn't really thought about that.

sun

I wouldn't believe that if I had been looking over your shoulder in the voting booth. 99.9% of the threads you start are nothing but Trump bashing. You loathe the man.
I voted in support of the NRA and the 2A, as well as for some other issues.
But I think that he went too far when he blamed Pence for certifying the electoral college results.

Last edited:

timberjack86

frustrated loop GIF by Crispe

sun

Testy today I see. Simmer down. I'm not trying to hurt your feelings. I don't know you. I do however see that you don't get out of the political forum very often. I also see that when you're over there you like to stir the pot with your theories and propaganda. Always pushing your liberal ways. I'm not crazy about what I've seen posted by you on here but each their own I guess.
We're supposed to keep liberals from spreading. Shame on y'all for coersing him into this forum. We already got more than we need.

Why do you bring Trump up in every Thread?
I was accused of being a liberal when I voted for Trump twice which isn't what a liberal voter would do.
I voted GOP for all Federal & state offices in 2016, 2018 and 2020 including for Mayor.

Matador

I have setups with Tri-pod, ground shooting houses, ladder stands and ground blinds. A lot of my choices depend on the weather.

tnanh

Who are you? I'm serious. I like hearing about people's hunts, but man you are detailed. We're a bunch of country boys that shoot stuff and catch fish. You sound like a scientist or like you had to write a paper that a professor assigned to you. Be real buddy. Nobody is grading how intelligent or intellectual you are. By the way, what are you doing outside your area. This isn't the political forum. Go home.
Sounds like he took a creative writing class. Because he wrote it doesn't mean he did it. Just like other democrats.

rem270

My most preferred is a comfortable lock on tucked away in some oak limbs. I do however have 4 (fixing to be 5) shooting houses on my property to get out of the wind and rain. The only downfall is I can't hear near as good out of them as in a "regular" stand. I also love a good homemade brush blind from the ground. I had one spot on a place I used to hunt I could tuck in and watch several different ridges and killed lots of deer out of my turkey chair. Different places have different uses and I'll utilize them as needed.

sun

Search the web and you'll find where he copied a d pasted it from.
If you doubt anything that I've posted on TNDeer is mine then just send me a PM here and anywhere else where I've posted about it.
I'll reply and then you'll know that it's me. :)

Latest posts