Permethrine for deer ?

ttf909

Have seen ropes in cattle pastures that I am assuming have an insecticide for flies on cattle .right ?
Anyone ever try this for deer to keep ticks off ?
Or spray permethrine on areas deer frequent?
Just got a pic of a buck with a mass of ticks so it has me thinking .

ttf909

I'm set for a prescribed burn in Feb or March but these deer are getting tore up by the ticks. I'm thinking fire hose type material around a mineral site that they will rub against ?

Carlos

I have plenty of times after I was bitten by ticks over and over, and then inspired by this store-bought model.

Attachments

• rs=w_1200,cg_true.jpeg
    rs=w_1200,cg_true.jpeg
    74.9 KB · Views: 111

Carlos

The middle portion holds corn, and the rollers are soaked with permethrin, you understand how it works.

I made my own, because after checking on those expensive store-bought ones.

All I needed was a plastic drum with a 'doghouse' shaped hole cut out along the bottom. I hung a piece of scrap carpet, sprayed the carpet with Premethrin, and secured over the hole, then poured corn underneath.

I can get pics later today. It worked out very well, and best of all it was free. Mine has been treating deer, raccoons, and squirrels already, according to the trail camera.

Tweeter

I know we used to put out the sulfur salt block for horses and it kept them down, not completely off but always wondered if it would work on deer or make the meat taste funny

Carlos

Its working this evening.

Attachments

• 20220703_193810.jpg
    20220703_193810.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 47
  • 20220703_193653.jpg
    20220703_193653.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 47

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
I used to care for a property that had these green feeders like @Carlos shows above. They also had gallon jugs of permethrin 11% which is very strong. It worked for the animals that would use the feeder regularly and the others they were social with. Note that most cattle rub premix is .5%

I know another farm that gets far better results from misting generic ivermectin pour on parasiticide on corn and feed pellets, let it dry then feed broadly over his hunting area 4 or 5 times a year. I took a fat doe on his place 2 years ago that was parasite free and weighed 164 lbs.

I think those green boxes are in a barn gathering dust and could be bought cheap if somebody wanted several.