Strange deer behavior for late October

BigDave12

So why are some mature bucks still grouped up this late? Granted, sample size of only 4 bucks, all the other mature bucks are by themselves as per usual. But I've NEVER seen any mature bucks grouped up this late in October. August/ early Sept... that is normal. But not now. And not really sure what it means, if anything. Again, everything else is normal... chasing by 1.5 and 2.5y/os. 3.5 and 4.5's working scrapes at night....
Years ago in SE Georgia, we would see similar things (larger groups of mature bucks still grouped up this late). Around there you could always time the peak of the chasing phase to 5 days either side of Nov 5. I was first getting into management and monitoring at this time but I visibly recall it. Our conclusion was the buck to doe ratio was imbalanced. What we found (thought) was that there were so many does and the mature bucks are pretty smart, that as they started to realize what time of the year it was, they would just hang out together around food sources waiting on groups of does to show. They would continuously be around the same food sources until the does actually started to heat up. Then they would just start breaking up the doe groups and pushing a couple around and stay with that small group (1-3 does) until the peak time. Those same small groups (1 mature buck and 1-3 does together) would show up for a week or so on the same food sources but opposite ends from another similar group. It would stay this was until breeding took place. They would all disappear at that time for about a week. Next thing you know, they start showing up in very small groups again (even 2 mature bucks together) on food sources starting the process again for the 2nd rut. It was like there were so many does that the mature bucks knew they didn't have to compete so they just played it smart and cool

megalomaniac

Years ago in SE Georgia, we would see similar things (larger groups of mature bucks still grouped up this late). Around there you could always time the peak of the chasing phase to 5 days either side of Nov 5. I was first getting into management and monitoring at this time but I visibly recall it. Our conclusion was the buck to doe ratio was imbalanced. What we found (thought) was that there were so many does and the mature bucks are pretty smart, that as they started to realize what time of the year it was, they would just hang out together around food sources waiting on groups of does to show. They would continuously be around the same food sources until the does actually started to heat up. Then they would just start breaking up the doe groups and pushing a couple around and stay with that small group (1-3 does) until the peak time. Those same small groups (1 mature buck and 1-3 does together) would show up for a week or so on the same food sources but opposite ends from another similar group. It would stay this was until breeding took place. They would all disappear at that time for about a week. Next thing you know, they start showing up in very small groups again (even 2 mature bucks together) on food sources starting the process again for the 2nd rut. It was like there were so many does that the mature bucks knew they didn't have to compete so they just played it smart and cool
Maybe something to this, but buck:doe ratios on these particular farms hasn't changed in years.

As an aside, looks like those bucks in the original post have now ended their truce and are separate and behaving as I would expect for this time of year.

CrossVolle

Chillicothe, Jackson, and McArther areas are where I'll be starting in a couple days through a lot of November. If anyone needs help with anything shoot me a pm.
Won't be terribly far from you in Chillicothe.

Ski

I'll be sure to pop back in here and recap. Gonna hunt hard and make the best of some crappy weather.

This is the forecast for Chillicothe. Saturday evening the wind turns northerly and overnight switches 180* back due south. Looks like dark cloudy weather with rain events mixed in through Monday. Should be some sporadic midday movements and lots of scraping. Then Tuesday morning pressure rises, clouds clear, and temps drop significantly. Looks like it continues getting higher pressure & cooler weather from there on out. Wednesday & Thursday mornings will be frosty.

I grew up there and have hunted my entire life up there. In my experience the last couple days of October and first week of November are the most intense for rut action, all day movement, & random bucks. This year it looks like the weather is going to help things out. Thursday morning Nov. 2nd looks to be the best November 2nd I've seen in probably a decade or more. Pressure as high as pressure gets, low 20's temp, light southerly wind to warm things a bit, and near bluebird clear sunny. Gona be some big Ohio bucks killed that day. Anytime the red & black lines pinch together like that, bucks are on their feet in daylight.

1698169883892.png

CrossVolle

This is the forecast for Chillicothe. Saturday evening the wind turns northerly and overnight switches 180* back due south. Looks like dark cloudy weather with rain events mixed in through Monday. Should be some sporadic midday movements and lots of scraping. Then Tuesday morning pressure rises, clouds clear, and temps drop significantly. Looks like it continues getting higher pressure & cooler weather from there on out. Wednesday & Thursday mornings will be frosty.

I grew up there and have hunted my entire life up there. In my experience the last couple days of October and first week of November are the most intense for rut action, all day movement, & random bucks. This year it looks like the weather is going to help things out. Thursday morning Nov. 2nd looks to be the best November 2nd I've seen in probably a decade or more. Pressure as high as pressure gets, low 20's temp, light southerly wind to warm things a bit, and near bluebird clear sunny. Gona be some big Ohio bucks killed that day. Anytime the red & black lines pinch together like that, bucks are on their feet in daylight.

View attachment 200128
Oh yea buddy. Trust me I have been pouring through every model you can access and Tuesday into Wednesday has me drooling and crying knowing next to no chance I will be able to hunt.

Ski

Oh yea buddy. Trust me I have been pouring through every model you can access and Tuesday into Wednesday has me drooling and crying knowing next to no chance I will be able to hunt.

Doh!!! That sucks. Call in sick. Purposely catch covid so you have to quarantine on stand. Do whatever it takes!!!

GIF by Wentworth Alumni Office

backyardtndeer

Most recent pull from one of my cams that I run in a scrapeline had typical behavior. Youngsters are sparring, and the only real big boy I have gotten so far has been by himself every time he has come through. Still getting the teenage boys trying to push does a little as well. Things should start picking up this next week.

CrossVolle

Doh!!! That sucks. Call in sick. Purposely catch covid so you have to quarantine on stand. Do whatever it takes!!!

GIF by Wentworth Alumni Office
Lol Hell if it was work I would tell them to fire me. I have a 5 week old. My timing is impeccable. A 4 year old born October 8th, and another born on September 14th of this year. Time to get snipped before another season is ruined 😂😂

The only thing I need is quarantined from is my wife from January till May it appears.

Ski

Lol Hell if it was work I would tell them to fire me. I have a 5 week old. My timing is impeccable. A 4 year old born October 8th, and another born on September 14th of this year. Time to get snipped before another season is ruined 😂😂

The only thing I need is quarantined from is my wife from January till May it appears.

Sounds like you gona hafta start breeding that mare in August for some spring babies 👶

Dumbluck

Scouting two different locations one dickson county the other Williamson County. Williamson the deer are locked in food patterns and the lull. There are almost no active scrapes this week, bucks are still following each other and sparring. Dickson county the scrapes are clean and highly active. The bucks are inventoring the local herd but are still feeding heavy.

I have seen maybe 2 deer on interstate 40 and 840 this week. Dickson county seems on schedule, Williamson seems two weeks behind.

Latest posts